The Xbox One has been announced

Started by Lazybones, May 21, 2013, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

The box is ugly, I hope they clean that up.

Blu-Ray player, hurray!

Data is stored in the cloud, which just gives EA more ammo for always-on internet requirements.

I wonder what this "switch to TV" thing is, though.  Are we going to be expected to use the Xbox One as a DVR or a cable box or something?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on May 21, 2013, 12:32:32 PM
The box is ugly, I hope they clean that up.

Blu-Ray player, hurray!

Data is stored in the cloud, which just gives EA more ammo for always-on internet requirements.

I wonder what this "switch to TV" thing is, though.  Are we going to be expected to use the Xbox One as a DVR or a cable box or something?

There are a pile of related articles on it.

1. The TV feature appears to be some kind of pass through that adds relevant content to a live TV stream... IE you gain program guide and maybe even live show content.
2. It ships with a local 500GB HD, so there is local storage... the Xbox 360 already has cloud saves.. it keeps a copy in both places and works off line like dropbox.. so if they change that, it would be strange.
3. Personally I don't care what it looks like.

Melbosa

I've been watching the whole launch throughout the day.  The new TV stuff is pretty much (if Shaw or Telus will carry it) a replacement of your Set Top Box and also your Media Streaming devices.  I will have to see what the product support is, but from what I see right now it will support the Windows 8 App store at launch which means a rich Plex Client.  Add in support for Shaw and I can remove three devices from my living room and replace with XBox One.  Add in Smart Glass and now I have no need to leave a TV show to see a guide... no need to setup my music play list during TV Commercials... no need to download that new content for the video game after the NHL game, while in intermission - I can just use my fav tablet or cell phone without interrupting what the XBox is doing for my entertainment at the time.

Now this is Canada, so all these sweet ass features might be hindered or unavailable here.  I hope to hell that is not the case, but possibility, based on history, is more than likely.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

It is interesting they are going heavy set top box when they are working to get rid of their mediaroom business. FYI mediaroom is what powers optic TV and why the XBox360 can act as an endpoint.

Mags

Where does the red light of death go?
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Melbosa

Its going to be a Cylon or Night Rider style one now....

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Rather amusingly (yet not unsurprisingly) Sony's stock spiked today:
http://www.policymic.com/articles/43565/sony-adr-stock-spike-xbox-one-announcement-sends-rival-stock-soaring

Features I haven't seen discussed here yet:

A Kinect must be attached at all times:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Microsoft is strongly urging developers to go with an always on feature:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/xbox-one-wont-require-always-online-connection-itll-be-online-6C10017092

Then there's the whole ambiguous question of used games:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/21/report-xbox-one-requires-a-fee-to-use-your-discs-under-a-different-account/

To make things easier, the XBox One will run THREE OSs:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-runs-three-operating-systems/

I'm kind of disappointed by all the news I've heard so far, I'm not sure how many people need a set-top box or BluRay replacement at this point I'm actually kind of confused to see a lot of work that went into it (from what I can tell).

As well tying the XBox One with the sinking ship that is the Windows 8 App Store is mind boggling, XBox Live is a pretty good distribution channel, I'm shocked Microsoft would dump it for what is the spiritual successor for Games for Windows Live.

They're also going to use Skype as the main comm client, which if you use Skype at all for gaming sessions you already know that YMMV, but seriously adding a group video call feature is going to be nightmare fuel on a grand scale (gamers may actually pine for the days when they only head to HEAR other people).

At the end of the day the REAL thing we care about is what games are going to be available and whether or not they are good enough to bring gamers in. Microsoft and Sony may end up in the same boat Nintendo is in now if there isn't some killer app headed for launch.

With slow adoption of Windows 8, an XBox One launch failure could be very damaging to Microsoft.

I guess we'll see.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Pro: Skype codec is what powers steams voice chat

Con: does anyone care about blueray? Even without blueray the Xbox360 beat PS3 for the most part.

I mean if you need media for a large game on disk it is the way to go but it really isnt a big deal for media if you ask me.

Mr. Analog

Pretty much, like I say I'm surprised that the focus was to turn the XBox into a media centre PC. Not that that's a bad thing, but not a particularly great thing either.

The whole allure of a console is that it's a fungible appliance dedicated to gaming, like I could pick it up and bring it to your house, or swing by with a game you haven't played yet so we can play it together. Like Fantasy football integration? Wha??

At this point in time I'm a bit confused about the whole thing. A lot of dust will have to settle before it makes any real sense.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

On the other hand the focus and features do differ from the PS4 so it could be an interesting generation .

The new level of detail in kinect could also have some interesting uses with the hand tracking and higher resolution.

Mr. Analog

It's very true, the strategy we are seeing is Microsoft carving a new nich for all-in-one entertainment which may or may not exist.

I mean most people reading this here likely already have a computer hooked up to the television one way or another to use as a media device, Microsoft is taking that concept, packing it up with ease of use in mind for a wider audience.

My hope is that it isn't so encumbered by, shall we say, "managed" experience and it actually becomes something people would seek out.

Back in the 90s this kind of consolidation happened with stuff like the Philips CDi but the timing was premature to say the least and the implementation was atrocious and expensive (and the games sucked).

Lessons learnt I wonder?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If it still requires a subscription to access the apps I already pay subscriptions for I will not care about its media features.

I am still stunned that Netflix, Facebook, the Rogers on demand and eve IE are behind the Xbox live gold pay wall.

Melbosa

While I am unsure that the Windows 8 App Store will replace the XBox Live system, I know today that both are merging on the Windows 8 OS deployments I use.  By the 3rd quarter this year I should be able to buy indie games through XBox Live Arcade and be able to play them on both my XBox 360 and Windows 8 OSs that use the same Microsoft Account.  The Windows 8 App Store is getting better day by day as well, as I myself have already purchased a few apps there that are fantastic editions to my systems, and install a lot of others that are free.  I am actually excited to see what this brings to the XBox One.

Looking back at my purchases, I think this time I will be going with XBox One (unless some huge roadblock shows up) and waiting a while, if at all, before getting a PS4.  I primarily play on my XBox, and since moving to a WD Live, I only use my PS3 when I want to play PS3 only games, or mostly as a BluRay player.  So now that I think about it, the XBox One, if ships in Canada with all features of media center stuff, I can replace 4 devices in my living room!