"one of the many reasons why videogaming is so very, very compelling"

Started by Darren Dirt, December 18, 2006, 10:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

...according to the brilliant mind behind the E/epic hits GoW and Unreal, "Cliffy B".

So there I was at the last "real" e3 at the Roosevelt hotel in LA at a Microsoft shindig - I sneak into one of the cabana rooms to get a demo [of "Mass Effect"] from the Bioware guys.

The demo looks sweet, really, it looks solid. The fellas are going through the experience and this little bell goes off in the back of my head. It's hard to say what it is at first... truth be told I didn't put two and two together for months after that. And then it hits me...

The feeling that hit me when I was checking out this game was the sensation I first had when I saw the original Star Wars Trilogy...

Bioware used to make games for Lucas. I get the vibe that they eventually said "@%&# it. Let's make our own Star Wars. Lucas can kiss our asses."

And by using our medium to deliver this IP they may very well be onto something

Seriously. This is powerful stuff.

And then I start thinking about our medium in general and what we're capable of and it continues to dawn on me that we're an IP delivery medium. Yes, we're games, yes, we're fun, but ultimately Game Mechanic is the Trojan Horse of fanboy universe love.

You love Master Chief and Solid Snake not only because they look cool but also because you spend so many damned hours with them sharing a pleasurable experience. Nothing bonds like shared memories; relationships are built on this concept.

Insightful guy.

I really like the down-to-earth, irreverent style of his blog. He gives props to Christopher Nolan and Johhny Knoxville, a warning/plea to Michael Bay, and says what a lot of people will only think quietly to themselves about the "potential" of the Wii... ;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

I love the epic guys.. I remember hanging out in IRC chatting and getting tidbits about Unreal before it first launched.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 18, 2006, 10:10:40 AM
says what a lot of people will only think quietly to themselves about the "potential" of the Wii... ;D

Are you referring to
Okay, I got to thinking tonight.

About the Wii...and about adult games.

What kind of adult games could you create with this system?

With the interface?

With the controller?

Think about the variety of ... actions ... you could perform with this controller.

Poking. Pulling. Slapping. Diddling. Licking.

(Come on. Like you didn't think about it!)

It's genius.

I demand "Virtual Jenna" for my Wii.

Come on, Reggie. You wanted to kick ass, let's see it!

I had never considered this before, seeing the Wii as only a kids' console (as it's really just been bought for my kids).  Thanks, now I'll never unlearn that!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

It's the "Cliffy B." link in the first sentence of the original post.  Although to find the actual text you do have to search the page...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

Speaking of Mass Effect, a month ago I downloaded a video that actually gave me goosebumps about the sheer scope and epicness of this game.

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/4014/Mass-Effect-X06-Demo-Walkthrough/

..this one is better...HD baby (the reason to own a real next gen system ;))

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360-hires/4013/Mass-Effect-X06-Demo-Walkthrough-HD/

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on December 18, 2006, 10:58:36 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 18, 2006, 10:10:40 AM
says what a lot of people will only think quietly to themselves about the "potential" of the Wii... ;D

Are you referring to ... I had never considered this before, seeing the Wii as only a kids' console (as it's really just been bought for my kids).  Thanks, now I'll never unlearn that!
Yup.

"You read it! You can't UNREAD it!" ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.