"Wreck-It Ralph" -- Disney takes Tron idea and Pixar-izes it (kinda)

Started by Darren Dirt, October 15, 2012, 09:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

film trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COC8W8uLdI8

my take: it's like the idea of going "inside" the computer program world, only this one is focused on VIDEO GAMES specifically, and pays homage to present as well as classic (80s) arcade game villains... and the lack of respect they get for doing such a great job at being Bad Guys (i.e. they are not bad guys, though!)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I could have sworn I posted something like this here already but maybe not.

It's AMAZING how many properties have come together and how many little things have been found in the few trailers / screen grabs already.

This film is very high on the video game nerd-o-meter!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

imo it's a Big Screen response to the popularity of the hilarious perspective covered so well by
http://www.collegehumor.com/search?q=Dorkly+mario

and similar stuff. (one classic: the whole "but I'm the hero..." line in http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6582639/best-of-dorkly-donkey-kong-doesnt-back-down )

I for one think it could hit it out of the park, in the same way that Monsters Inc. was a "creative idea, well executed".

But in the end, "classic" is earned only by an engaging character-rich story, not just from the initial concept. Here's hoping...

Mr. Analog

Well we're in an age where the average gamer is 30 or so, which means they play games, their kids play games and everyone in between plays games, that's a very large demographic to tap into. It makes just as much sense to release something like this, with licensed characters intact, now than any other time.

The curious bit for me is, when the inevitable film-to-game adaptation comes out will it suck ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

the initial release of the game will Wreck any happy feelings that the film delivered, but within a week a patch will Fix-It.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 15, 2012, 09:43:59 AM
They should release preview Snapshots a la Minecraft haha

ah yes, screen shots always give the viewer the complete gameplay experience...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 15, 2012, 11:16:17 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 15, 2012, 09:43:59 AM
They should release preview Snapshots a la Minecraft haha

ah yes, screen shots always give the viewer the complete gameplay experience...

Actually what Mojang does on a regular-ish basis is make upcoming changes available for public download so that modders and other interested people in the Minecraft community can take a look at what changes are coming down the pipe so they can adjust to it pro-actively.

In the past some game breaking changes have come out that have screwed over awesome custom maps and cool mods.

I mean, it still happens but there's a bit of lead time at least when you can just download and play a snapshot

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Jane Lynch went as her character in Wreck-It Ralph for Halloween

It's like... reverse uncanny valley!

:D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 01, 2012, 03:58:15 PM
.... urge to read but urge to not see spoilers

pretty much spoiler-free, just a non-detailed summary of the basic plot that you can pretty much guess from the trailer.

Thorin

I read it, I'll make sure not to mention anything about it.  Other than that I plan to go see it with the kids when we have some time.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

That review made a good thing sound even better.

I think I'll try to catch this flick at some point.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 01, 2012, 04:21:18 PM
I read it, I'll make sure not to mention anything about it.  Other than that I plan to go see it with the kids when we have some time.

I read a review in one of the free papers this morning, definitely want to see it with my entire family, even though it sounds like elements of it are targeted more for the "tween" girl audience than anybody else.

At the very least, to hear conversations in "Qbertese" will be pretty cool.