Indie Game: The Movie

Started by Darren Dirt, November 02, 2012, 09:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

The tone of this trailer is very negative, it seems like the film maker is painting indie developers as emotionally needy, dysfunctional, affluent white males who are coping with problems of their own making...

At least that's how I read it.

Also what's up with the marketing imagry anyway? 'Cause there are so many indie games on Super Nintendo boy howdy!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Okay so...  I'm the pedantic one.  What are you doing pointing out that they're using the wrong controller on their poster? :P  Most people would just see that as a generic video game controller.

The actual SMB post: http://supermeatboy.com/118/Come_see_Indie_Game__The_Movie___WITH_US_/#b
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 02, 2012, 09:35:37 AM
The tone of this trailer is very negative, it seems like the film maker is painting indie developers as emotionally needy, dysfunctional, affluent white males who are coping with problems of their own making...

I didn't find the trailer tone negative at all -- I actually found it impressive that they could focus on a handful of very talented but clearly reclusive/isolating individuals, the struggle any dedicated artist goes through ... but make that study of these developers interesting and relateable, instead of some freak show.

Mr. Analog

I dunno, to me it played like a freak show :/

Pedantic maybe but true, they could have tied a keyboard in a noose and it would have been much more symbolic of what they're trying to depict here.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I haven't watched the trailer so I can't speak to it.  I thought you were just remarking on the stylized SNES controller on the poster (I say stylized because they're missing the start and select buttons and don't have the dark-grey circle on the buttons side).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 02, 2012, 11:14:05 AM
I haven't watched the trailer so I can't speak to it.  I thought you were just remarking on the stylized SNES controller on the poster (I say stylized because they're missing the start and select buttons and don't have the dark-grey circle on the buttons side).

Ah, at the end of the trailer they have a SNES controller hanging from its cord.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 02, 2012, 09:41:53 AM
The actual SMB post: http://supermeatboy.com/118/Come_see_Indie_Game__The_Movie___WITH_US_/#b

aha this is essentially what vibe I got from the trailer...
QuoteIndie Game: The Movie is a magical movie that is about more than just video games, it's about living your dreams and inspiring others to do the same. If you have any interest in making games, playing games or simply being creative and making art, you NEED to see this movie.