Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Serviio

By default Serviio does run as a service in windows, you can unchecked the meta-data collection if you don't want it, and you can hide the extra artist folders etc in the DLNA menus.

It might be a better fit, and it has great trans-coding for many DLNA devices... I left it for Plex specifically for the rich meta clients plex has.

Thorin

Well, running PMS completely bogged down my machine and as you say, Lazy, all I want is a DLNA server, so I'll give Serviio a try.  Really, I had a DLNA server but for some reason it started handing out choppy audio.  Hopefully Serviio can run as a Windows service and access UNC paths to my NAS without needing me logged in.

The way it's going now, I won't get to watch my show until tomorrow night, where I'll probably be too busy, so it'll get bumped to Thursday night, and then something'll come up, and then Friday and Saturday are gone already...  Maybe I should've just put up with the choppy audio.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 16, 2012, 09:47:44 PM
Well, running PMS completely bogged down my machine and as you say, Lazy, all I want is a DLNA server, so I'll give Serviio a try.  Really, I had a DLNA server but for some reason it started handing out choppy audio.  Hopefully Serviio can run as a Windows service and access UNC paths to my NAS without needing me logged in.

The way it's going now, I won't get to watch my show until tomorrow night, where I'll probably be too busy, so it'll get bumped to Thursday night, and then something'll come up, and then Friday and Saturday are gone already...  Maybe I should've just put up with the choppy audio.
You should see how long it takes for PMS to scan my collection. Ages. But its cool once its done. And really handy for searching for things when you're not at home.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Same. It took about a day to get through 4TB of stuff, it goofed on some things but was like 90%

Now I can lay in bed and watch MST3K...

which is probably not a good thing lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 16, 2012, 10:03:47 PM
Same. It took about a day to get through 4TB of stuff, it goofed on some things but was like 90%

Now I can lay in bed and watch MST3K...

which is probably not a good thing lol
This is why I'm kinda happy it doesn't work so well on anime. I'd spend too much time watching stuff in bed ;D

Then again, I have xbmc on my tablet now and could watch anything anyway... so .... best not to remember that late at night ;D

Mr. Analog

I hear ya, it's bad enough I can just grab the tablet and watch Yogscast whenever haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I use UNC paths with my Plex server, and don't map a network drive.  I too had many folders I had to add to my Plex as I sort my TV shows by 0-Z folders.  But I only needed one TV Shows folder in plex and then added them all under it.  Sure it took a while to do all 27 folders, but it worked like a charm.

Maybe it is because I don't have the complexity you guys have or the file count, but I do have 3TBs of Movies and 1.5TB of TV shows and my plex takes only an hour or so to update the library.  My network at home is a gigabyte with jumbo frames, so maybe that helps?!??!?!? I don't know why mine runs so much faster than what you are reporting.  Only the initial one took almost 12 hours to complete.

Thorin I'm sorry you have had such a pain with it.  Really you and Mr. Analog are the only two now that I have found with having major show stoppers.  Not sure why that is, but in the computer world anything is possible.  I never did get anything working well through TVersity, and yet you have had it working this whole time... computers lol.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on October 17, 2012, 08:00:56 AM
I use UNC paths with my Plex server, and don't map a network drive.  I too had many folders I had to add to my Plex as I sort my TV shows by 0-Z folders.  But I only needed one TV Shows folder in plex and then added them all under it.  Sure it took a while to do all 27 folders, but it worked like a charm.

Maybe it is because I don't have the complexity you guys have or the file count, but I do have 3TBs of Movies and 1.5TB of TV shows and my plex takes only an hour or so to update the library.  My network at home is a gigabyte with jumbo frames, so maybe that helps?!??!?!? I don't know why mine runs so much faster than what you are reporting.  Only the initial one took almost 12 hours to complete.
Yeah, its the initial scan thats a bitch. But once it's done, its fine. Of course I also have GbE \o/ but then I run Plex on my server which sits on an 8 port SAS/SATA card that runs a RAID5 that is capable of reads at up to 500MB/s or more.

Quote from: Melbosa on October 17, 2012, 08:00:56 AM
Thorin I'm sorry you have had such a pain with it.  Really you and Mr. Analog are the only two now that I have found with having major show stoppers.  Not sure why that is, but in the computer world anything is possible.  I never did get anything working well through TVersity, and yet you have had it working this whole time... computers lol.
I have a partial show stopper. It's support for fansubs. I can see how it might be a little complex to support properly though with the re-encoding.. But I imagine, if it's going to be re-encoding, it could render the subtitles onto it as it goes. Maybe.

Thorin

Yeah, sorry if I was grumpy last night, I just wanted to watch my show without the audio stuttering.  Tversity had been stuttering on all vids for a couple of weeks and I thought I could quickly and easily swap it out with Plex and that wasn't nearly as quick and painless as I was expecting.

By the way, I switched to Serviio and still had the stuttering happening, so I'm wondering what the hell's going on now.  Maybe there's transcoding going on without me realizing it, or something.  Or maybe someone else in my house installed something that messed up the codecs or something.  I'll have to look at it next time I have time.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Now I'd be curious to see how it plays on Plex, as it uses its own codec system, no external codecs required.  If it stuttered, then I would say you have another issue all-together.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Both serviio and Plex should come with their own codecs avoiding a host codec problem... both are basically CPU limited.

Some release groups have started using newer versions of h264 or odd high profile bit rates... If serviio or plex detect your xbox doesn't natively handle these they will automatically trans-code.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 17, 2012, 11:47:50 AM
Both serviio and Plex should come with their own codecs avoiding a host codec problem... both are basically CPU limited.

Some release groups have started using newer versions of h264 or odd high profile bit rates... If serviio or plex detect your xbox doesn't natively handle these they will automatically trans-code.
Not to mention 10bit encodes rather than the older 8bit ones.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on October 17, 2012, 11:57:47 AM

That is what I was referring to in a generic way.. Most hardware DLNA based devices, or even Plex native devices like a Roku can't decode that natively so the audio at least gets trans-coded.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 17, 2012, 12:18:07 PM
Quote from: Tom on October 17, 2012, 11:57:47 AM

That is what I was referring to in a generic way.. Most hardware DLNA based devices, or even Plex native devices like a Roku can't decode that natively so the audio at least gets trans-coded.
I was refering to the new h264 10bit stuff. It supposedly reduces file size, not sure how exactly.

Thorin

h264 != XviD, right?  All of my stuff is XviD encoded, I avoid stuff marked h264.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful