Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 17, 2012, 02:45:59 PM
h264 != XviD, right?  All of my stuff is XviD encoded, I avoid stuff marked h264.
Same family (MPEG4), but when people use the h264 term, they mean MPEG4 Part 10 AKA MPEG4-AVC, much more cpu intensive, but smaller file sizes and higher quality. XviD is MPEG4 part 2 AKA MPEG4-ASP. It's a simpler variant of MPEG4 which doesn't include a lot of the fancier compression methods that AVC uses.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

h264 != XviD, right?  All of my stuff is XviD encoded, I avoid stuff marked h264.

Correct XviD should be fairly safe, however container file and audio track can be all over the place.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 17, 2012, 02:51:35 PM

Correct XviD should be fairly safe, however container file and audio track can be all over the place.
I think usually you're safe with avi for xvid. h264 is usually either in .mp4 or .mkv, and sometimes you'll find xvid in mkv as well, but most encoders I think have moved to h264 for hd and what not in the higher quality mkv releases.

Thorin

My container files are always AVI as I avoid MKV and MP4.  They're always marked XviD as I avoid h264.  For those that are marked, I always pick the AC3 sound option.  I do this because I know that my old tech won't transcode fast enough to watch a show.

Maybe it's newer audio codecs being used that are making the sound stutter.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 17, 2012, 03:52:57 PM
My container files are always AVI as I avoid MKV and MP4.  They're always marked XviD as I avoid h264.  For those that are marked, I always pick the AC3 sound option.  I do this because I know that my old tech won't transcode fast enough to watch a show.

Maybe it's newer audio codecs being used that are making the sound stutter.
Maybe stick with stereo?

Lazybones

What device are you using as an endpoint client?

- is it wired or on wifi?

Thorin

AC3 is stereo still, isn't it?

XBOX360 as an endpoint client.

XBOX360 ---- Shaw Modem/Router >> wifi
100baseT      gigE
               |
               |
Drobo FS ---- Switch ---- Serviio on Computer
gigE          gigE        100baseT

All wired.  The xbox and computer are not gigE, but still wired.  There's only one DHCP server, running on the modem/router - the switch is simply passing packets back and forth.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 17, 2012, 09:26:53 PM
AC3 is stereo still, isn't it?
I suppose you can have 2 channel AC3. But I think most of the time it's used for surround. stereo xvid I think would normally come with mp3 audio.

Thorin

Just noticed in Serviio today that there is an option for how many cores to use when transcoding.  It was set to 1, I changed it to 2.  I wonder if that'll make a difference.  Although these files shouldn't be transcoding, so it should work as it did before without stuttering.  Beyond that, I have no idea what changed on my system to make the sound stutter.  Maybe it's time to put the media server back on the other (nearly identical) computer.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Plex shows off cloudSync, its new online digital movie locker, we go hands-on
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/plex-cloudsync/

Melbosa

Here is a site I wish I had looked at earlier.  Turns out my new Synology, while providing me with the space increase I needed, will not be providing me with Transcoding of HD content any time soon - even with it's dual CPUs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhqU12yGv_OxdC1VYjYtMmRiSlVReVZhNVBLZ0JxSmc#gid=0

Gives a listing of every NAS supported by Plex and what it can Transcode.  I'm still setting up my Synology to use Plex natively and we'll see if I have any content it needs to Transcode - if so well I might be going back to a computer in the middle.  I'll be using some of the other functionality of the Synology, so for me not a total loss, and I did need the space increase for spindles.

Just an FYI for you if you were looking for such Transcoding possibilities in a NAS.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

FYI there is a new Plex server release out with a more efficient trans-coder.
http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/03/12/plex-media-server-v0-9-7-17/

Also there is a Raspberry Pi build with low cost VESA case,
http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/03/14/happy-pi-day/

Mr. Analog

I hope they have DVD remote options, you can mount an ISO with it but DVD menu support is spotty at best
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

DVD menu support will likely only eve work in the windows/Mac/Linux client as it is based on XBMC.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 15, 2013, 08:18:15 AM
DVD menu support will likely only eve work in the windows/Mac/Linux client as it is based on XBMC.
xbmc works on android now ;)

Though I assume they have their own mobile client code, and libdvdnav is opensource like most of the code they use.