Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Yes Plex has a native Android client but it is not based on XBMC. 

Only the Windows/Linux/Mac/raspberry pi client is a fork of XBMC .

They do use ffmpeg for transcoding.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 16, 2013, 09:18:33 AM
Yes Plex has a native Android client but it is not based on XBMC. 

Only the Windows/Linux/Mac/raspberry pi client is a fork of XBMC .

They do use ffmpeg for transcoding.
I said XBMC has an android port.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

I get it... Thought the second paragraph was referring to Plex.

Plex android client now has offline sync support in testing.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 16, 2013, 01:39:30 PM
I get it... Thought the second paragraph was referring to Plex.

Plex android client now has offline sync support in testing.
The second paragraph is referring to plex. I'm assuming they use ffmpeg and other opensource libraries, which could likely make use of libdvdnav which mplayer/xbmc use for menu support.

Tom

I installed the newest plex on my nas box today. It worked rather well. We watched Avengers on it tonight! No buffering mid movie or anything of the sort, though I did turn down the streaming settings to 1.5mbps/480p. Mom only has a 32" (or there abouts) tv, and we are sitting rather far away from it, so the resolution really didn't matter.

At any rate I like where it's going. Though I can't seem to tell it to exclude some folders in a collection. I'm pretty sure that was a feature in the older version.

Lazybones

No you can't exclude but you can have as many library sections as you want so just tie them deeper in the folder ( instead of the top) and sort your folders well.

This makes navigation easier anyway using set top boxes like the Roku anyway.

Lazybones

You can also link more than one folder to a section.

Tom

The only place I want to exclude so far is for my main BitTorrent folder where things get put temporarily. And some /large/ programs were in there, and it was managing to scan random files in them as movies or tv, and random things like "Dts". it was weird.

Lazybones

The Plex scanners are bound by library section you must have your media sorted into Movie, TV, generic video and music you can't mix the sections or you will get very random results.

My download directory is completely outside my sorted media directory tree.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 19, 2013, 11:26:32 PM
The Plex scanners are bound by library section you must have your media sorted into Movie, TV, generic video and music you can't mix the sections or you will get very random results.

My download directory is completely outside my sorted media directory tree.
yeah. I know you need to keep things organized. Also my download/bit torrent folder is outside of my media for. I just didn't want to have to move stuff around when trying to watch a newly downloaded video.

I do wish their setup was a bit more flexible. Especially some of the lists. I'd like to see the alphabetical list as one big list to scroll through rather than a bunch of separate folders. Mostly I'll end up using the by folder list because most of the others are a bit annoying for me.

That said, I like it.

Melbosa

I have to say the client for Windows 8/RT is by far my favourite client now!  Up above the iOS, Android, Roku and even the full OS install. Worth the $3.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Depending on bandwidth availability maybe we should all share out some library sections via myplex.

Tom

I wouldn't mind sharing some of my stuff.

Melbosa

Yeah I don't mind sharing out some stuffs.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I've noticed on the latest version of Plex that idle CPU usage has gone up again (usually around 40%).

I'm trying to track down the source, I think it may be the client app connection showing thumbnails on my tablet, even though it's not actually doing anything it's keeping my CPU busy.

It wasn't really a problem before the last release, though this was a problem when I first started playing with it. I noticed it was getting really bad a couple of days ago after I upgraded when I was using Photoshop, hoo boy it was slow as Neptunian molasses
By Grabthar's Hammer