Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Probably something worth reporting in the Plex forums.

It is worth noting that Plex transcodes the thumbnails to match both the format supported by the device as well as match resolution where possible.

They have been migrating to a new transcoder build an little bugs have appeared in a bunch of areas.

I run Plex I. A VM and have a CPU cap on it so even if it runs full out I usually don't notice other than the hard drive activity.

Melbosa

Hmmm I checked on my media server.  I am running 0.9.7.22, and at idle with uTorrent, AVG, APC Powerchute and Plex running, I am barely registering any CPU activity.  So wonder why you are?  Very interesting Watson.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

There are a couple of open threads so far that I'm following yeah, I'm interested to see what it's doing.

I can understand if it was doing something like updating info but my library hasn't changed for a long time, so I'm not sure what's going on. Like I say, I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't using other CPU intensive apps at the time. I may dedicate a box to just running Plex (wondering how well it would run on Ubuntu or similar)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If your collection is large and you have moved files it could be the indexing and meta data agent taking up cycles.

There is a DB cleanup and bundles cleanup function in the web UI that does some basic DB repair and cleanup.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on May 24, 2013, 08:52:07 AM
Hmmm I checked on my media server.  I am running 0.9.7.22, and at idle with uTorrent, AVG, APC Powerchute and Plex running, I am barely registering any CPU activity.  So wonder why you are?  Very interesting Watson.

On your phone open your Plex client and go to a page that shows cover art or stills from an episode.

Just let it sit on there and see if there is any activity.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I run it under Ubuntu, it runs better under Linux however some of the "Channel" plugins will not work if they depend on Flash or Silverlight.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 24, 2013, 08:54:29 AM
If your collection is large and you have moved files it could be the indexing and meta data agent taking up cycles.

There is a DB cleanup and bundles cleanup function in the web UI that does some basic DB repair and cleanup.

While my collection is pretty good sized I haven't moved any files around for a while, like i say I'm a bit concerned that it is apparently not doing anything and yet eating CPU

I'll figure it out later, it's not a problem. I just have to kill the server if I use PSD.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 24, 2013, 08:55:59 AM
I run it under Ubuntu, it runs better under Linux however some of the "Channel" plugins will not work if they depend on Flash or Silverlight.

Ahh cool, I don't bother with any plugins so I'm good I think.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya upgrades are just an apt-get update away under Linux unless you want to run beta builds.

It runs as a proper service / daemon so there is very little maintenance.

Only issue is if your media is on another network box you will need to create a remote mount point and set it up to connect on boot.

Mr. Analog

That still works well for me, my media is split between the 4TB drobo and another 1 TB drive, all of which could be plugged into a Linux box
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya the one problem is that you will have to rescan your whole library unless you want to get fancy with some DB commands to rewrite paths.

This can be a pain if you have spent time sorting collections, setting preferred poster art or made lots of manual edits.  I know I spent a bunch of time grouping trilogies and setting consistent titles and poster art for them.

Mr. Analog

I don't mind doing a rescan, usually I let it do its thing when I'm away.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 24, 2013, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on May 24, 2013, 08:52:07 AM

On your phone open your Plex client and go to a page that shows cover art or stills from an episode.

Just let it sit on there and see if there is any activity.

Yep nothing here.  Even have 3 devices just idling at my cover art for various locations - Movies, TV Shows, Music.  I'm on a dedicated media server, running Windows Datacenter 2008 R2 SP1, with 8GB Ram and a Quad Proc - if that helps any.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Ok, good, I thought it sounded a bit off when I read it on the forums.

Gotta be something else.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

FYI the Plex/web interface auto updates independent of the media server.

You might want to check if it is updated.