Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Found this Gem in the forums today: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1622413/#Comment_1622413

Used it to make different releases of Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 in my library show up as one movie with different options.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on April 11, 2018, 09:20:55 PM
Found this Gem in the forums today: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1622413/#Comment_1622413

Used it to make different releases of Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 in my library show up as one movie with different options.

Aww but did you go to each collection after and download a custom collection poster for each?

I went thought my library a few weeks back and did some cleaning and setting up of collections as well.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on April 11, 2018, 09:22:55 PM

Aww but did you go to each collection after and download a custom collection poster for each?

I went thought my library a few weeks back and did some cleaning and setting up of collections as well.
My plex already has multiple posters for each movie so I just picked a different one from the availables.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on April 12, 2018, 09:47:15 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on April 12, 2018, 09:22:09 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on April 11, 2018, 09:22:55 PM

My plex already has multiple posters for each movie so I just picked a different one from the availables.

Aww, for some reason when I opened that on mobile I thought it was for Collections not Multiple Cuts..

Both are very nice organization additions.
it is using collections. I use it for both multiple cuts and collections (Harry Potter movies). I just let Plex make the collections posters based on the movies in the collection.

Mr. Analog

FINALLY I can differentiate versions
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So I don't know how others felt about v7 but for me it was a disaster. The GUI is a train wreck, the app didn't work with synced content, videos it used to play no longer worked... it was a @%&#-show. Today saw a new version rollout that fixed a lot of the technical issues but the terrible GUI remained. I went so far as to create a forum profile to voice my concerns when this nightmare dropped on May 30th, so far the devs have not participated in that thread (I assume they figure its just user whining) but I'm not alone... Overall Plex has been a great experience and this is the first time I can think of that they really hecked up the app portion of it.

I upgraded downgraded back to v6 and man IMMEDIATELY I was back in love with it. My on deck stuff ... actually on deck (home screen) all my organized content accessible in 2 clicks or less... fantastic.

My server is running great after the rebuild, though I do notice that TV posters are still not downloading properly anymore (I get "Captain Power" but not "Star Trek"???) While I was sick I renamed ALL my Classic Doctor Who and that's finally working as expected (thank GOD).

v7 has been a trip, a real exercise in frustration. I'm sure it's great for people who wanted a more Netflix-like experience but for me it was Hell.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this the posters for my TV stuff started downloading (finally) lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I don?t like the new iOS / Android UI but I also don?t totally hate it.

Hopefully they can make some quick improvements.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 08, 2018, 12:55:15 PM
I don?t like the new iOS / Android UI but I also don?t totally hate it.

Hopefully they can make some quick improvements.

The first improvement was rolled out already the first version didn't retain the library or server filters so ALL stuff marked as TV across all shared content would just get dumped under TV Shows, now you can pick server+library from the drop down selection at the top.

I still prefer the two different axis where the top was what server you were connected to and the side was what library you were browsing, very easy and clean.

The Home screen is the biggest offender because now instead of having your "On Deck" where you want to see it its now buried under whatever category it belonged to. I found this useful because I could see what shows / movies I was currently watching when I had to stop (or more likely fell asleep lol) the other problem which is supposedly addressed by today's update was every time I launched the app the "recommended podcasts" were always on my Home and I'd have to remove it every time (so much for "customization"). I greatly dislike this widget for two reasons: 1 since when is Plex a content recommendation tool. 2 I don't use podcasts at all but why isn't that a library type??

Anyway I'm satisfied with v6x for now, hopefully they can address these problems soon.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

You can remove / move the widgets. I moved podcasts to the bottom.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 08, 2018, 01:31:09 PM

Yes but until the latest release none of the customization was saving between sessions (on Android at least)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 08, 2018, 01:43:18 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on June 08, 2018, 01:31:09 PM

Yes but until the latest release none of the customization was saving between sessions (on Android at least)

Aww, I have noticed a lot of negative posts from all users, but I noted Android users being the most annoyed.

Mr. Analog

I like Plex, I like the people who work on it, but v7 is a real clunker on Android :(
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I haven't really used my plex install in a while. Heck, I haven't turned my HTPC on in ages... I've been tempted to take this Asus TinkerBoard or my older arm board that is based around a tablet platform but is just a bare board, though actually has an hdmi port and the like, so its a lot easier to hook up to a media center than a tablet normally is.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Ever have a video file crash the Plex client so hard it reboots your device? I just did

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Which Plex client?

Haven?t had it reboot a device.