Experimental Tekkit Server

Started by Tom, May 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 28, 2012, 03:57:44 PM
Is this server still going? What version is it on? What do I need locally?

I may try it out...

EDIT: This has nothing to do with Sjin and Sips_ playing Tekkit with Duncan...

NOTHING AT ALL

damn yogscast...
What about the new yogscast Simon and Lewis with duncan, even though they haven't really done much yet...

But yeah, its still going. My main house is pretty near spawn I think. not entirely sure on that though. You're free to play if you like. It's currently on Tekkit 3.0.3 I think. just grab the latest tekkit client and you should be golden.

feel free to use my machines, but be nice and don't steal my iron. I'm always short on iron. Ignore the massive chests full of diamonds and EE fuels, those were made with EE, some of which were a bit cheaty. So I pretty much ignore those.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Obie kabie

Yeah, I've been watching a bunch of Sjin's videos lately and he had a Top 10 Tekkit Terrors series and I thought, this is something I should mess with!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So! Got started with Tekkit, holy crap!

I built a house, a mine, dug up all sorts of exotic ores. Had to steal a rubber tree sapling from the house on the spawn (once I had a few trees going I put one back).

Found lots of nifty gems.

Built a Generator, an Extractor (to get rubber from trees rather than using a tree tap) and a Mascerator.

I also built pipes and a redstone engine, and now ore gets processed in the mascerator and goes up the pipe into one of my storage boxes :D

So far it's fun but I'm having a hard time finding some resources (REDSTONE *shakes fist*)

I suspect though I'll hit that terminal velocity of stuff-having-so-you-can-make-more-cool-stuff within another few hours of playing

Given how abundant coal is and yet how quickly I'm tearing through it I think I'm going to have to figure out power sooner than later!

Anyway, fun stuff!

First screen, my house, built with marble bricks.
Second screen, the inside.
Third screen, my machines!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Very cool :)

I went almost straight from some coal, direct to mostly solar. Sure solar pannels are a bit expensive.. but they are worth it \o/

You might want to save coal for railcraft.

Also, you still want to use the tree tap, since a tree tap gets you more sticky resin per tree, and the tree keeps living :) then when you stick the resin in the extractor you get 3 rubber per resin. which is insane. If all you do is stick rubber tree wood in the extractor you get one rubber. Not quite the same deal.

Now, if you have a crap load of those giant rubber trees, the extractor is the only way to get rubber out of them. I've actually found two ways to make use of those seemingly useless trees. Demolish the entire massive tree, stick a bunch of the logs into the furnace to create charcoal, which takes less power than charcoal gives out in any furnace (free energy ftw), and of course in the extractor for rubber :)

Mr. Analog

yeah, I was looking at how to make solar panels yesterday, man they are expensive! I think I'll try out wind power first as I'm on a fairly windy mountain. Of course I want to build a nuclear power plant down the road heh heh

one step at a time though

oh also I want to set up an automated farm 'cause chonga hungee!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 01, 2012, 09:11:13 AM
yeah, I was looking at how to make solar panels yesterday, man they are expensive! I think I'll try out wind power first as I'm on a fairly windy mountain. Of course I want to build a nuclear power plant down the road heh heh

one step at a time though

oh also I want to set up an automated farm 'cause chonga hungee!!
Sadly forestry was removed from tekkit. It has actual farms and stuff that'll automatically farm :( it's awesome. but the forestry dude is a bit of a douche. Added in a backdoor so he could mess with some users of his plugin that he didn't like.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on July 01, 2012, 10:43:47 PM
Sadly forestry was removed from tekkit. It has actual farms and stuff that'll automatically farm :( it's awesome. but the forestry dude is a bit of a douche. Added in a backdoor so he could mess with some users of his plugin that he didn't like.

Uhh, so his mod should be considered malware and a trojan?  First report of malware in a Minecraft mod that I've heard of (but then I'm behind the times).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 02, 2012, 12:14:58 AM

Uhh, so his mod should be considered malware and a trojan?  First report of malware in a Minecraft mod that I've heard of (but then I'm behind the times).
Hm, actually I may have been misinformed. Code was added, but it wasn't a backdoor. Forestry comes with a "bee keeping" mechanic, and some  bees were added that would randomly explode and blow up your stuff if it found you running technic. It's possible /both/ happened, but the latter sounds more feasible.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 02, 2012, 12:14:58 AM

Well, the Forestry mod I guess... not sure what they could do outside the Minecraft bubble, I guess it depends on what privalege it runs as.

ANYWAY

I played 14 hours of Tekkit yesterday non-stop!

There are some amazing things you can build that I wish were in Minecraft vanilla:

-Crafting Table Mk. II: If you have the stuff in your inventory you can simply click to create it, no more fussing around trying to remember recipes, this is kind of important in Tekkit as there are so many recipes!

-Equivalent Exchange Table: Lets you transmute one substance into another. So, got a box full of cobblestone? Transmute it to stone or iron or whatever. Every item in Tekkit has a "value" cobble, stone, dirt all being 1 all the way up to diamond (which is like 6000), this is great for when you're stuck for something.

There are some REALLY annoying things though too.

-If you don't use the right tool you will lose your machine, and even if you use the right tool there's a %10-%20 chance you will lose it. Not so annoying on basic machines but when you've spent 4 diamond on a gizmo and you need to move it and it breaks into a pile of useless, easy to make bits it's RAEG time

-Complexity! Some of the problems you will have and crafting recipes needed to solve them are crazy. For example, I built a geothermal generator yesterday, goes right to the core of the earth and sucks up all that pesky lava, loads up a power block just fine, BUT I wanted to use it to power a Quarry, which is from a different mod, fine there's a power converter (called an Energy Link) you can make that will make the power compatible. To build it you will need the following:

-2x Advanced Alloy
-3 Redstone Dust
-Wooden Conductive Pipe
-Insulated Copper Wire
-2x Gold Gears

Okay, let's make the advanced alloy:
-Put a mixed-metal ingot into a Compressor

Okay, let's make a mixed-metal ingot (assuming you HAVE a compressor)
-3 Refined Iron (you just cook iron again in a furnace)
-3 Tin
-3... BRONZE

Okay, let's make BRONZE
-3 Copper Dust
-1 Tin Dust
-Take the bronze dust and cook it in an oven

Well, there's one Advanced Alloy done

On to Step 2!

(I won't bore you with the details LOL)

So yeah, getting started there is a bit of a learning curve for advanced machinery, and then you need a ton of resources, things like an EE table help there but man, I hope I never have to make something like this again and I hope this block never breaks when I move it!!

:D

Tekkit is vastly different from vanilla Minecraft, the logistics of doing some things that are complex in Minecraft are totally solved but whole NEW even more complex problems arise like how to avoid clogs in transport pipes or dealing with all consuming power issues, or even just planning where your machines go without ending up with a nest of cables and pipes every which way :D

It's fun, but so far a lot less relaxing :D

Also, scaffolding is awesome, just don't build it over a volcano (that get's a bit... "firey")
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Argh! Your Tekkit Server is telling me it can't validate my username.

I log into our Minecraft server just fine.

FIXIT!FIXIT!FIXIT!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:00:10 PM

FIXIT!FIXIT!FIXIT!
Hm, it seems to be having a problem connecting to mc.net.. I assumed it was just mc.net being retarded. Let me give the tekkit server a kick.

Mr. Analog

I've attached a screenshot...

VERY ANNOYING

All I wanted to do was see how my quarry was getting on...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 02, 2012, 03:09:28 PM

FIXIT!FIXIT!FIXIT!
Hm, it seems to be having a problem connecting to mc.net.. I assumed it was just mc.net being retarded. Let me give the tekkit server a kick.

Could be they seem to change DNS a lot, like I find if I flush dns connectivity works ok.

But why would vanilla minecraft work is what I'm curious about

Ah well, let me know when it's up!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:10:47 PM

FIXIT!FIXIT!FIXIT!

Could be they seem to change DNS a lot, like I find if I flush dns connectivity works ok.

Vanila isn't working ;) its off and on. I can sometimes get it to auth, and sometimes not.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 02, 2012, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 02, 2012, 03:10:47 PM

FIXIT!FIXIT!FIXIT!

Vanila isn't working ;) its off and on. I can sometimes get it to auth, and sometimes not.

Worked for me, I was logged in and went to my vault.

Ah well, Red Dwarf marathon now!
By Grabthar's Hammer