I am confused and somewhat concerned (PC power problem)

Started by Mr. Analog, July 10, 2021, 06:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

System idling: Fine
System under load: Fine
Power system off: Circuit breaker trips

I have no idea what could cause this but it's a little concerning. I'm also having problems with my USB ports again which heralded my last power supply dying. What the frig is going on???

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Yeah I power it off and then a few moments later my panel trips. I can't figure it out...

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Do you have one of those cheap outlet testers? Maybe your outlet is wired badly?

Mr. Analog

I'll have to get one. Any recommendations?

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Was thinking something simple like one of these.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/klein-tools-gfci-receptacle-tester/1001012662

Just to check if the ground and basic wires of the outlet are correct. They are safe, cheap, and fairly idiot proof.

As for testing the PSU itself that would require something like a multi meter and the basic skills to use that. I only say that because I have shorted the fuses in my car a few times with using my multi meter incorrectly lol.

To pop a breaker during shut down the PC must be doing something very strange like a strait short as other wise it seems odd it could pop a breaker.. have you opened your system up and looked for any damaged wire? etc while it is unplugged?

I had one situation many years ago where a sharp PC had damaged the speaker wire on a PC and it shorted to the case.. Didn't pop the breaker and instead created a smelly melty mess of wire insulation.

Melbosa

Change your power cord and power bar.  Could be fault in either, and those are the cheapest things to replace.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a feeling it's related to my USB somehow.

It's the darnedest thing. If I have it plugged into any outlet in the room powered off eventually it will trip the breaker. If I leave it on or unplugged no problems

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So yeah, tried a different cord / power bar / socket and I get the same behavior every time. Powered off = trips breaker.

I have it powered on now and so far so good. I'm honestly stumped by this. I could understand it if it was tripping while the system was running but not AND ONLY not when it's powered off.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

So now its either your PSU, Receptacle in the Wall or Weak Breaker.  Easiest test is another outlet in the room, which may narrow down to the Breaker or PSU.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I tested a different socket and had the same effect.

I'm starting to think it might be the motherboard as this power supply is only a few months old plus the front USB ports are acting up...

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If you have the time check the whole board and remove it from your case and double check the placement of ALL of the metal stand offs.. Maybe there is one in the wrong place and it is grounding the back of the motherboard where it should not.

Mr. Analog

Yeah I might have to take it back to Memory Express and get them to look at it.

I'm very tempted to just buy a new system and throw the 3080 in it. I've had this rig since 2014

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2021, 02:12:19 PMYeah I might have to take it back to Memory Express and get them to look at it.

I'm very tempted to just buy a new system and throw the 3080 in it. I've had this rig since 2014

Mr. Money Bags! :)

But seriously, seven years is pretty long to keep a high-end gaming computer, I'd go with a new system if I had the cash.  What video card do you have in this system now?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 13, 2021, 08:35:14 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 13, 2021, 02:12:19 PMYeah I might have to take it back to Memory Express and get them to look at it.

Mr. Money Bags! :)

But seriously, seven years is pretty long to keep a high-end gaming computer, I'd go with a new system if I had the cash.  What video card do you have in this system now?
I have a GTX 3080, so I'd take it out of this build and put it in a new one.

My main concern at this point is that I use this PC for just about everything and even though I still have the power supply backed up by MemEx's replacement warranty I'm worried that it's a deeper problem. (Again having multiple USB ports fail at our last D&D session has me worried because that's the behaviour I saw before the last power supply died)

Suffice to say I'm keeping an eye on it but don't be surprised if I need a ride to MemEx again

By Grabthar's Hammer