FOOD -- TED talk that will stir up guilt, fear ... and hopefully CHANGE

Started by Darren Dirt, March 13, 2012, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 14, 2012, 02:14:45 PM
geez this is not the "debate" I was hoping to stir up.

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 14, 2012, 05:25:48 PM
personally, I don't have a "goal" in mind for this discussion...

These two quotes seem somewhat at odds with each other.  Wasn't your goal to have this conversation steer in one particular direction?  In particular, agreement with your viewpoint (as indicated by the original link) that everyone should eat less meat and more plants because meat is killing us?

That's entirely how I took this thread, and I'm not one that likes scare tactics employed to change my behaviour thus my reaction.

Also, I think I'm in a bad mood today so sorry if I'm snarky.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Mr. Analog, I didn't quote the first part of your post, but thank you for reading my mind and putting my thoughts to paper (well, database).

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 14, 2012, 05:54:15 PM
All that said I believe everyone could cut down on their meat intake, meat for most people is the easy choice but it's a choice that comes with health consequences.

From the things I've read, it's not so much the red meat but the fat in the red meat combined with the sedentary lifestyle that cause the arteries to build up plaque and fatty deposits that then lead to heart attacks (or "ischaemic heart disease" - http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index.html).

Then there is the question of if it's fair to use more than our share of resources, which is another point being made there.  Well, if everyone in the world played fair life would be great, but just look at what Russia, India, and China are digging out of the ground and throwing into the atmosphere, and you'll soon see that many people around the world want their turn living like kings.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 14, 2012, 06:19:07 PM
From the things I've read, it's not so much the red meat but the fat in the red meat combined with the sedentary lifestyle that cause the arteries to build up plaque and fatty deposits that then lead to heart attacks (or "ischaemic heart disease" - http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index.html).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/gluten-what-you-dont-know_b_379089.html
Eating bread might be killing you as well...

Darren Dirt

Meh.

I apologize for bringing up food and nutrition.

Because that's "outside" stuff. Even with so-called perfect "environment", it's still no guarantee for happiness. Health is not just an absence of illness (or of unhealthy choices).

I'm saying this apparent-gobbledy-gook now due to (yet) another Ted Talk, this one revealing "The Happiness Advantage" ... which is what people going on a diet or cutting down on meat or getting more sleep or whatnot are REALLY motivated by -- the desire for happiness of some kind.

Only it's not that happiness is a RESULT of achieving those goals, nope, those goals are far more attainable if happiness is already being experienced by the goal-seeker. :headasplode: #simpleyetpowerful

http://www.ted.com/talks/shawn_achor_the_happy_secret_to_better_work.html
http://www.ted.com/speakers/shawn_achor.html
"[It?s] the lens through which your brain views the world that shapes your reality. And if we can change the lens, not only can we change your happiness, we can change every single educational and business outcome at the same time."

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I'm not sure exactly what you're going through at the moment Darren but it sounds like you're pretty depressed about something, I don't know if it's the tone of your writing or just the subject matter of late but something is up.

If you want give me a call tomorrow
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quite the opposite actually, but thanks for your concern bro.

I'm actually feeling quite happy and hopeful about my life, not just mine but humanity's future as well.

Perhaps it's just as I get on in years and it becomes clearer that many dreams will fade un-attained, but tbh I'm a lot more satisfied with a lot less than what I used to think was necessary to experience satisfaction. I guess "if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need" is true.  ;D aka "Happiness is a Choice".

Because the alternative --  believing/expecting that happiness only will be experienced by achieving/attaining "more" -- simply results in your brain moving that "happiness requirement" bar farther ahead/higher each time you get there, thus delaying happiness ... then it makes sense to be open to the possibility of "synthetic happiness" as described in this talk:
"Tis nothing good or bad ... but thinking makes it so" - Bill Shakespeare

^ the MIND-BLOWING results of the experiment with the amnesiacs ... WOW.

as one comment points out: "Many times I think that one of the things I'm looking for is "happiness," & wealth, & fame, & cetera. But if I choose happiness as A WAY, then I've GOT happiness; it becomes a way rather than a destination. Nice, and it might help in getting the others."

Peace out folks, I'm hitting the hay ... quite a bit earlier than usual (happily ;) ).

Mr. Analog

Awwwwwwww yeah!

I was worried there for a bit (damn internet and inflection can't hearing). I'm feeling super-energized lately, maybe a little sleepier in mornings thanks to DST, but like I feel I could do anything. As I said at the get together I'm outta dis winter funk

I just want to also say thanks for stimulating these conversations, they stir up parts of my brain I don't use that often

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 15, 2012, 08:14:39 AM
Awwwwwwww yeah!

I was worried there for a bit

I just want to also say thanks for stimulating these conversations, they stir up parts of my brain I don't use that often

:)

np buddy/pal/friend!

it's nice when the bug in your brain syncs up with stuff you encounter throughout the day, that's kinda what these particular TED talks have been for me, a reinforcement/confirmation of stuff I'm experiencing or kinda figuring out on my own... as I said realizing first-hand that happiness is truly not dependent on "happy-inducing" circumstances is a huge win, but also gives me hope for the world as a whole that others are also moving in that kind of positive direction. I'd rather be (and be surrounded by) sunshine instead of a dark storm cloud :)

Mr. Analog

I hear ya there, I know I want to spread the sunshine today.

Oh there will be patio today I can tell ya
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm, maybe this thread would more accurately be titled "TED Talks I Find Interesting And Why" :)

The secret to happiness is to want what you have, instead of trying to have what you want.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Yup.

And yup.  8)

On that note, just found a very interesting "forum" that is likely full of like-minded truth-seekers etc.
http://www.stevepavlina.com/forums/ (also found this: "Why do we argue?" (lol) http://www.profound-self-help.com/anger-management-self-help.html )

Mr. Analog

That sounds like a fortune cookie, but it's good advice. (unless you are a Pokemon master, in which case, gotta catch 'em all)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yes, it sounds like a fortune cookie.  But there's always someone with more stuff, more medals, more money, more fame, more hoes and shawtys, more bling, more nuclear arms at their disposal, etc.

Now, if you're at the bottom and don't have anything and your life is really hard because of that, maybe you want to focus on getting some things to make life easier.  But once you have the basics of life, demanding a better version of all those things can lead to a very poor life experience.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 15, 2012, 04:05:46 PM
CHECK OUT MY BALLS

I HAVE MORE BALLS

Some of us aren't as interested in balls as you are, and don't base our happiness on them.

Or on the accumulation of other toys.

Speaking of folks happy to play with balls...

Michael Jordan, the failure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc (and, apparently, quite sensitive)
via http://thesameffect.com/eighty-percent-of-success-is-showing-up/