FOOD -- TED talk that will stir up guilt, fear ... and hopefully CHANGE

Started by Darren Dirt, March 13, 2012, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

My balls are full of monsters that want to attack

EDIT: I love that this is on the top of a new page

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

On the subject of things that make you go HMMM (etc.)

Do You Think What You Think You Think? interesting title for a book, found @ http://derrenbrown.co.uk/dbstore/recommended-reading/
thought-provoking questions about your thinking: Is what you believe coherent and consistent?or a jumble of contradictions? If you could design a God, what would He, She, or It be like? And how will you fare on the tricky terrain of ethics when your taboos are under the spotlight?

Here are a dozen philosophical quizzes guaranteed to make armchair philosophers uncomfortably shift in their seats. The answers will reveal what you really think?and it may not be what you thought. Fun, challenging, and surprising, this book will enable you to discover the you you never knew you were.

But then, a review/comment gives food for thought...

It's not what you think
It promises to uncover the reader's beliefs, and to help strengthen and identify one's core philosophy.

If you're looking for a little entertainment, with a Philosophy 101 bent, Do You Think What You Think You Think? might keep you busy for a while. If you're hoping to actually learn anything about yourself or discover a new way of thinking about life's big questions, keep searching.

It's just a teaching tool to get you to think about your own rationality.

...well I gotta admit the title is certainly attention-grabbing :) But the SUBJECT is one that I have lately been on a bit of a "kick" -- who am I, how can I be so sure, and why am I this "me" that I currently am? (and [how] can I change?) (no holding to any "investment" of the past, spent in locking down the current "me", who will I now BECOME?)

/armchairphilosopher mode off

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

To answer those questions:

- You are who you are, regardless of who you think you are
- You can be sure because you can only be who you are, because if you were not who you are then you would not be you
- You are who you are because you chose the choices you have chosen
- You cannot change who you are, but you can change what choices you choose from the choices you can choose; you will still be who you are but you may no longer be the same as who you were
- You will become who you will become, just as you are who you are; who you will become depends on the choices that you choose from the choices that you can choose and on the events that happen without you being able to choose if they happen or not

I think you're more asking about whether you like the person you are (or believe yourself to be), and if not, how you can change yourself to be more like the person you want to be.  This is basically an id/ego/superego struggle.  All about the id, the ego, and the superego: http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/a/personalityelem.htm.  These three items make you who you are, according to Sigmund Freud.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on March 29, 2012, 08:14:52 PM
To answer those questions:

- You are who you are, regardless of who you think you are
- You can be sure because you can only be who you are, because if you were not who you are then you would not be you
- You are who you are because you chose the choices you have chosen
- You cannot change who you are, but you can change what choices you choose from the choices you can choose; you will still be who you are but you may no longer be the same as who you were
- You will become who you will become, just as you are who you are; who you will become depends on the choices that you choose from the choices that you can choose and on the events that happen without you being able to choose if they happen or not

Why?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful