Total Recall offical trailer -- looks like Bourne meets ShootEmUp

Started by Darren Dirt, April 01, 2012, 08:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

in other words might not be as bad as we were expecting... but even if it is, at least full points for "style"
http://dai.ly/HKOePj

1. The trailer shows they are at least paying respect to the original
2. don't forget, the Arnie Original hasn't exactly "aged" well, and it was intended to be less comical than it ended up being, so it's not like they are remaking that movie with the newspaper guy who runs for political office and misses his childhood sled, what was that called...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/total-recall-trailer-exceeds-expectations-with-mind-blowing-visuals-nadam.php

QuoteWhen it first got announced that they were going to remake Paul Verhoeven?s action/sci-fi classic Total Recall, the collective groans of film fans could be heard the world over. If there was ever an action movie full of iconic imagery and quotable lines that didn?t need to be sullied, it was that Arnold Schwarzenegger-starring original. This remake was going to star a pipsqueak like Colin Farrell instead of a mountain of muscle like Arnie, nobody was going to be getting their asses to Mars, and there wasn?t even any confirmation that it would include a three-boobed hooker. Who needed it?

Well, after watching the first full-length trailer, I?d say that anybody who?s ever been a fan of adrenaline pumping action, jaw dropping special effects, sprawling future cities, the feminine wiles of Kate Beckinsale or Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston acting grizzled, guns, explosions, or Stormtroopers needs this movie.

Bottom line, this looks like some large scale, intricately designed, impressively pulled off, blockbuster action/sci-fi work that?s going to have everyone losing their collective minds once it?s projected onto the big screen. Nothing in Len Wiseman?s career has hinted at the fact that he could pull off anything as big in scope and visually astounding as the stuff in this trailer. I?m almost ready to forgive him for all that bad CG in Live Free or Die Hard already.

Yeah, Cohaagen might not need to give the people air, and this movie might have flying cars instead of Johnny Cabs, but if the finished product is able to live up to the select clips from this trailer, it?s not likely that anybody is going to be thinking about the original as they?re cheering and fist pumping their way through it. No, if the film lives up to the promise of this first trailer, cinema geeks are going to be proud to set it right next to the original on the shelf where they keep their movie collection.

And, for the record, Len Wiseman told Collider last summer that this thing was even going to have its own three-boobed hooker.

Mr. Analog

Was there some other trailer? The one I saw looked like a reconstruction of some scenes from the original Arnie flick and other scenes were noisy CG car chases and gunfights...

I just have a preset hate on remakes now I guess, even for crappy/guilty pleasure movies.

I also feel burnt out on the current generation of action movies, everything is so unreal, I feel no connection to the action at all. As fun as watching a string of explosions and gunfights there's a big thing missing if I can't identify with the world OR the characters. I don't know, maybe it will surprise me and turn out to be a fun movie (like Fifth Element or Bullitt or Dirty Harry)

For now all I'm looking forward to is the chick with the three boobs...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Like I said in OP, sure the original was awesome at the time, but it ain't exactly blasphemy to remake it with a greatly modified plot (heck, the TV series was quite different than the movie -- some say it was no more "untrue" to the PKD source material than the film!)

As long as the plot is slightly convulated with a few decent twists and betrayals and a nice juicy villain death in the penultimate scene, I think this could be a winner. Won't succeed just based on pretty visuals (CG and Jessica/Kate).

Mr. Analog

I just feel like... what's the point though

I know what the twist is (is this the real life or is this just fantasy)

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

So... funny story: They don't go to Mars in this one.

Looks like it's going to be your standard issue secret agent/action flick with pointless CG car chases (hint: not exciting since it looks fake as hell)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 10, 2012, 01:24:51 PM

You really didn't know that until just now?

That was the first, and biggest, complaint the Hardcore Fans whined about when they first heard of the remake (yes, they whined about that more, and more loudly, than about Colin Farrell "replacing" Ahnold).

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 10, 2012, 05:56:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 10, 2012, 01:24:51 PM

You really didn't know that until just now?

That was the first, and biggest, complaint the Hardcore Fans whined about when they first heard of the remake (yes, they whined about that more, and more loudly, than about Colin Farrell "replacing" Ahnold).

Yeah, I haven't really been following it all that much, but yowza, I feel like this is gonna be "Catwoman" all over again, like it's some other Sci-Fi film but they changed just enough around to make it somewhat Total Recall-y enough to sell tickets.

I'll dig out the original and watch it, see how well it holds up...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

trailer #2 is out:

"If I'm not me, then who the hell am I?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_9uxohMTI
(also, triple-breasted lady)

Mr. Analog

That trailer looks much better I guess, I dunno

GET YOUR ASS TO MARS

:D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 03, 2012, 11:07:20 AM
That trailer looks much better I guess, I dunno

GET YOUR ASS TO MARS

:D
It is supposed to be much closer to the original book. The first movie was quite the departure.

And that last trailer looks pretty darn good if you ask me.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!