Main Menu

Push to Add Drama

Started by Darren Dirt, April 24, 2012, 12:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

A town square in Europe, a button, and well, it does what it says!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Thorin

I have an unnatural hate for advertising.  So even as I'm watching this and getting mildly amused, this niggling voice in my head is saying, "They're just trying to manipulate you into liking their product!"

And yet, without advertising I might not have many of the things I have in my house.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I know how you feel, just before the logo popped up I got that feeling...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 24, 2012, 02:51:27 PM
I know how you feel, just before the logo popped up I got that feeling...

imo it's one of those "enjoy the ride for 2 minutes" kind of things, even if after you go "yeah right like those button-pushers were just random passersby, like the advertising folks would risk the safety of strangers, obviously THEY were actors too..." but while watching it is WAY more epic escapism if you convince yourself that you coulda just as easily been the button pusher  8)

in contrast, this ad for Nike (subtle, cuz it's not about Nike shoes, it's about the Nike ATTITUDE) is not exactly gonna inspire others to take 10 days travelling around the world...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxfZkMm3wcg

PS:
To launch the high quality TV channel TNT in Belgium we placed a big red push button on an average Flemish square of an average Flemish town. A sign with the text "Push to add drama" invited people to use the button. And then we waited...
Flemish eh?

Mr. Analog

It's kind of like one of the ads that was circling YouTube last week, it was a pretty funny rap about people doing stupid stuff with computers and how as an IT dude they should know better and at the end it was just... super insulting (AND racist)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 24, 2012, 04:05:29 PM
PS:
To launch the high quality TV channel TNT in Belgium we placed a big red push button on an average Flemish square of an average Flemish town. A sign with the text "Push to add drama" invited people to use the button. And then we waited...
Flemish eh?

If you're gonna quote something and the original topic has more than one link in it that the quote could be from, maybe provide a link back to what you're quoting?

Also, yes, Flemish.  Belgium is a bilingual country (like Canada) with Dutch spoken in the north and French in the south.  The Dutch-speaking area is called the Flemish Region.  There's also a region called Wallonia, and wikipedia just taught me that there is also a small German-speaking region.

So if they say it was in a Flemish town, then it was somewhere in the northern half of Belgium.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 24, 2012, 04:27:02 PM
If you're gonna quote something and the original topic has more than one link in it that the quote could be from, maybe provide a link back to what you're quoting?

Sorry... it was the Youtube video description.

And the word "Flemish" sounded familiar to me, just can't remember why/who (amongst the RW crowd). Was either you, or Melbosa... or nobody, and my senility/Alzheimers is kicking in heavy today.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 24, 2012, 05:36:01 PM
Quote from: Thorin on April 24, 2012, 04:27:02 PM

Sorry... it was the Youtube video description.

And the word "Flemish" sounded familiar to me, just can't remember why/who (amongst the RW crowd). Was either you, or Melbosa... or nobody, and my senility/Alzheimers is kicking in heavy today.

Melbosa
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I thought Melbosa's familiar word was "Winnipegosan"?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

As a Golem from Winnipeg would say...

*Cough* Jets *spit* Jets *spit* Jets my precious
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

HE IS THE MANITOBOT!

He doesn't have a Rocket punch, he has a Jet punch!

Other superpowers include:
-Flood Attack
-Crown Royal Absorb
-Snow Shove
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 25, 2012, 07:30:53 AM
HE IS THE MANITOBOT!

He doesn't have a Rocket punch, he has a Jet punch!

Other superpowers include:
-Flood Attack
-Crown Royal Absorb
-Snow Shove

Isn't somewhere in there Darren Insult Explosion or something?