Epic Rap Battles of History

Started by Tom, October 29, 2012, 11:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

This is like watching the blind leading the blind. ..
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 19, 2014, 07:33:37 AM
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!!

Yeah about 5 years ago I pretty much accepted that is where we are at already, or close enough to it.

Kids spend more time on Wikipedia memorizing every trivial detail about a popular TV series than they ever would considering doing for an academic subject... I'm the strange one that I kinda get sucked in doing both. And long-term remembering neither  :P

PS/FunFact: when you have some commentary to say about society, almost always there's an XKCD about it.

Mr. Analog

Stuff like that waxes and wanes and eventually loses meaning and gets relegated to the meme dump.

Kids spending time learning minutae related to their interests is nothing new, I remember thinking one day that I knew more video game move inputs than there are elements on the Periodic Table, you could name a character and I would know their moves even sometimes the name of the move and in some cases two different versions of their moves.

What's the atomic weight of Boron? I dunno, but if Ryu did it I would.

So yeah, speaking of meme rot a lot of people don't usually understand that almost every rage comic / reaction face is traced from an actual person, so what's lost on Tom is the contextual connection between Neil deGrasse Tyson, the rage comic and the content of the epic rap battle...

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/010/tysonreaction.gif
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Oh, I had forgotten about that big meme image entirely :D haha. nor did I really look at it. It just looked like just another random image post.

I still think he'd have fun with that rap-battle. but I'm no NdgT expert. (but don't take my word for it *cough*)

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 18, 2014, 03:44:22 PM

Lesson learned: use simple words put together into clear, concise sentences to share what you're thinking, and people are more likely to understand.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I thought it would be obvious what was being said once the video was watched.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on June 19, 2014, 09:42:32 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 18, 2014, 03:44:22 PM

Lesson learned: use simple words put together into clear, concise sentences to share what you're thinking, and people are more likely to understand.

Sometimes you can enhance the humor of linked content with an in-joke but it relies on common understanding.

But like any in-joke some people will get annoyed by being made to feel dumb
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 19, 2014, 08:31:58 AM
a lot of people don't usually understand that almost every rage comic / reaction face is traced from an actual person, so what's lost on Tom is the contextual connection between Neil deGrasse Tyson, the rage comic and the content of the epic rap battle...

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/010/tysonreaction.gif

THANK you!

In other words, although the "Neil" in the video was quite awesome (and --arguably -- "WON") it was also a stark contrast to the respect/admiration that the Real Neil has for Newton ... as evidenced by the infamous video clip from whence the "rage comic" face comes from ... as explained so succintly above by Mr. A.

Tom

I don't think respect and admiration precludes a sense of humour though.

Mr. Analog

Not sure if I follow you Tom

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 19, 2014, 10:51:00 AM
Not sure if I follow you Tom

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Geez, even *I* think I get what Tom is saying. And I agree with him -- I was being presumptuous that NdGT would be unhappy with the impression that un-informed audience members would get from the Rap Battle (i.e. that he would be "against" Newton, the very opposite of reality) ... but since the tone of ERBs is sarcastic and exaggerated silliness, I'm pretty sure he would laugh it off.

ps: On a related note to my above "troll/rage face MATRIX" check out this funformative (i.e. fun + informative) "matrix" http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/field-guide-fanboys/