Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

You should never need to edit the DB.

There are already lots of threads over in the official Plex forms on how to fix matches.

First step is almost always fixing file name issues.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 27, 2015, 01:20:10 AM
You should never need to edit the DB.

There are already lots of threads over in the official Plex forms on how to fix matches.

First step is almost always fixing file name issues.

In this case its a pilot short not even on iMDB yet so no matter how I rename it there's nothing to match anywhere:-)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

This thread keeps reminding me... I want to install plex on a vm on my big opteron box and assign it like 4-8 cpus :D Things are a tad slow with it running on my dual core i3 nas.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

So for stuff like that, I have a separate Personal Media folder (or is it called library? can't remember) called "Plex Unrecognized".

I noticed you use Plex on your Xbox, the interface there's a little different than on my Roku.  On the Roku, I have top-level folders (or libraries?) that are really easy to back out to, and they're sorted in general age ranges (little kids, kids, teens, adults) to help the kids understand what is/isn't okay to watch with little ones around.  So there's just a fifth folder called "Plex Unrecognized".
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Plex used http://thetvdb.com/ for TV naming as per the plex wiki... NOT IMDB which it uses for movies.

If it is a series episode it must be in a TV series library folder, if it is a one off movie in a movie folder.

For a Pilot that may not be an official epsidoes I would name it

Folder:Series Name\Season 1\
File: Series.Name.S01E00.ext

Plex should fail to match, or hit unmatched... Then just use the pencil to manually set the data

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on May 27, 2015, 12:02:09 PM
Plex used http://thetvdb.com/ for TV naming as per the plex wiki... NOT IMDB which it uses for movies.

If it is a series episode it must be in a TV series library folder, if it is a one off movie in a movie folder.

For a Pilot that may not be an official epsidoes I would name it

Folder:Series Name\Season 1\
File: Series.Name.S01E00.ext

Plex should fail to match, or hit unmatched... Then just use the pencil to manually set the data

You can actually pick which source you want media metadata to come from, my movies library uses iMDB, my TV/cartoons uses thetvdb, etc

The problem is I could name the file anything I want, the actual information about this Pilot isn't on any of those sites yet (it's just a week old). I've had Plex think it was from at least 3 different unrelated sources already so It would be really handy if i could just define what it is myself, I see now that this is a weakness within Plex.

Kind of frustrating in it's own way
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Speaking of which I didn't realize my Plex media server had gone offline form teh interwebs, resolved now :)

(damn new router :) )
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 05, 2014, 08:24:58 AM
For some reason you can't "Gift" a Plex Pass, which I find frustrating
Remember when this was frustrating?  Well seems you can now: https://plex.tv/gifts
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on November 24, 2015, 01:25:52 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 05, 2014, 08:24:58 AM
For some reason you can't "Gift" a Plex Pass, which I find frustrating
Remember when this was frustrating?  Well seems you can now: https://plex.tv/gifts

About time haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

They now also offer a "Optimizing" option that lets you pre-transcode content... Very handy if you run Plex off a NAS that can't do it real time.

Tom

It also looks like you can't fully use the app without a plex pass or a "one time fee" anymore.

Just finished updating my old nexus 7 to android 6, and it pulled in a new version of the plex app, and it says I require a plex pass, or a $5.98 fee to allow the app to stream video... My newer nexus 7 does not have the latest app, and it doesn't require paying.

GL;HF PLEX.

Tom

OR MAYBE IM JUST DUMB!

It's possible I've already paid for the app itself, but it just didn't know on the new install. I hit the "already paid" option, it asked to see my contact info, and seemed to load right up. *sigh*

Android 6 actually makes a lot of permission grants happen when you run, rather than when you install, so that might have had something to do with it. herpaderp.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 27, 2015, 11:13:27 PM
OR MAYBE IM JUST DUMB!

It's possible I've already paid for the app itself, but it just didn't know on the new install. I hit the "already paid" option, it asked to see my contact info, and seemed to load right up. *sigh*

Android 6 actually makes a lot of permission grants happen when you run, rather than when you install, so that might have had something to do with it. herpaderp.

Originally the Apps required you to pay for them up front, then later on they switched to an in-app purchase so you could trial, purchase or get the app free easily if you had PlexPass.

Tom

Yeah, just dumb. I do seem to recall paying for it now. But yeah.. I was just a little grumpy after fighting with the first rom I tried on the old nexus 7 being a bit broken wrt. google apps and such. Also over slept which makes me irritable >:(