Main Menu

NASA World Wind

Started by Melbosa, April 05, 2005, 03:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

NASA World Wind

A friend forwarded me this link, and I tried it out.  This is amazing software with such a simple concept behind it.  You are able to start at the world view, and zone down to the city level, and it renders the images on the fly based on where your view point is.  Even a user community around this to download new content as new images are taken, to allow you to even zoom in further or get more details on areas that may be unfinished.

Check it out.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Found me!
lat=53.59703
lon=-113.41175

Impressive, but I wish the high-res urban area pics covered Canadian locations and some other places (like Las Vegas). Oh well.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Google Maps Centred over West Edmonton Mall

Note that you can toggle between IMG and Street Mode.

Darren Dirt

WOW, maps.google.com has certainly improved! I like the easy double-click-to-recentre interface. Unfortunately, no easy way of saving/copyingtoclipboard the image eh :P

Coolness, for example I noticed how the Whitemud, just north of Gateway Lanes, is very huge compared to 34 ave...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"WOW, maps.google.com has certainly improved! I like the easy double-click-to-recentre interface. Unfortunately, no easy way of saving/copyingtoclipboard the image eh :P

Coolness, for example I noticed how the Whitemud, just north of Gateway Lanes, is very huge compared to 34 ave...
Doesn't your "Print Screen" / "System Request" button copy the image to the clipboard?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Look up a huge city and zoom in, Edmonton does not have images for the highest zoom levels that are supported on some areas.. It's creapy.

Mr. Analog

I visited New York and Boston, they buildings even stick up! It's actually kind of dizzying.

Still no Vegas, and no Area 51 (nerts)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"
Quote from: "Darren Dirt"WOW, maps.google.com has certainly improved! I like the easy double-click-to-recentre interface. Unfortunately, no easy way of saving/copyingtoclipboard the image eh :P

Doesn't your "Print Screen" / "System Request" button copy the image to the clipboard?
Print Screen will capture the whole screen, then I have to do an annoying cropping job... Some map services will make the image be a single file, whose "Image Properties" include the parms so you can technically email yourself/someone else that image URL and all the props (zoom level, x/y, etc.) will be retained.

But yeah, System Request, I forgot about that Magic Button From The Past ;)

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I visited New York and Boston, they buildings even stick up! It's actually kind of dizzying.

Still no Vegas, and no Area 51 (nerts)

No Vegas? Wha?

Centered on the insane "Stratosphere": http://maps.google.com/maps?q=las+vegas,+n...08379&t=k&hl=en

SO the White House, Lincoln Memorial, and Statue of Liberty are not blurred (pixelated) but the CAPITOL building is... wonder if that's revealing or just a coincidence...

But the mysterious Denver Infernal (oops I mean International) Airport is clear as somethingreallyclear: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washington,+...45226&t=k&hl=en <-- did they just pick this shape at random, hmmm...  :ph34r:

Mr. Analog

That interferance you see is a cone of ignorace... or wait, is that Congress?

Ottawa is a near black void of non-sentience that actually makes you dumber for looking. And if you look at the Commons in the UK you can't see anything except for the tabloid photographers flashes... ;)

Mmmmmm now that's good satire.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"That interferance you see is a cone of ignorace... or wait, is that Congress?

Ottawa is a near black void of non-sentience that actually makes you dumber for looking. And if you look at the Commons in the UK you can't see anything except for the tabloid photographers flashes... ;)

Mmmmmm now that's good satire.
...and you're a man who loves his satire...

PS: Let's all face it, Google Wins! Lookit how many services they provide now --> Better Googling Tips