Upgrading RAM dare I upgrade my video card?

Started by Mr. Analog, December 23, 2020, 05:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 09, 2021, 10:07:33 AM@Mr. Analog sometime after 1PM.  Text you more when I have a definite time.
Sounds good [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

RAM issue solved, it may not have been seated properly when I did it twice. Either that or I changed memory profiles in BIOS this morning and didn't check to see if that worked.

Either way I've got 32 GB of memory and a working kickass vid card
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Holy moly this card is outta this world. Runs Cyberpunk like nothing

My only concern is the amount of heat being generated is significantly higher than my old 1080

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah my 3090 gens a lot of heat too.  But at least its pointed away from your CPU/Memory lol.  Never seen a CPU fan like yours be right next to and point at the memory.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

LOL yeah

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Your EVGA 3080 is way more LED lighty than my 3090 lol, just an observation

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 09, 2021, 05:06:12 PMYour EVGA 3080 is way more LED lighty than my 3090 lol, just an observation
Sparkle magic!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

According to your previous posts you have the Z87-PRO

1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
4 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 x 4 -pin)

There should be a utility from ASUS to let you control the fans and see temps from the CPU and main board in windows.

Not sure what case you have (you have several threads going LOL) but I am sure Melbosa could make recommendations as well if you have a good case and just need more fans or to balance your air flow.

ALso if any of your existing fans are incorrectly mounted that would be bad lol.

Mr. Analog

Asus has AI Suite but it's not compatible with my motherboard unfortunately. I'm not sure what a good alternative would be yet as I haven't gone looking.

As for fans I have a fairly large exhaust and two intake fans, stupidly the heat sink I have is pointed at my RAM.

Maybe I'm worried about nothing, it's just the amount of heat being given off was noticeable when I was playing Cyberpunk last night (and it was just talking scenes no action) I have my keyboard set to change color based on temperature and I've never seen it go so red before. The top of the case was very hot to the touch which makes me think a new case is in order

Today I was playing Mafia Definitive Edition and the heat given off was moderate but that's not really a game that pushes anything hard either

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 10, 2021, 02:23:16 PMAsus has AI Suite but it's not compatible with my motherboard unfortunately.

Odd since ASUS has it listed on your board page. (maybe your bios is not up to date?)

>stupidly the heat sink I have is pointed at my RAM.

That is normal and really not a bad thing.

>Maybe I'm worried about nothing, it's just the amount of heat being given off was noticeable when I was playing Cyberpunk last night

Really need the numbers from the board, CPU, and GPU to know..

Mr. Analog

Strange I don't see AI Suite listed in the support software page

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z87PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Cyberpunk will push your Vid and CPU.  This is the main reason I am waiting for a CPU Water Cooling kit from Dell as it pushes my i9 10900 over 100*C with just the fan solution in my Alienware Auroa R11, my 3090 hits about 80*C.  I had put in aftermarket Fans in the R11 and my USB controller shutdown due to heat because the aftermarkets wouldn't cycle up fast and far enough to keep the case cool.  Had to go back to the stock ones from Alienware.

So moral is Cyberpunk will push your system hard, hardest I've seen a game push a computer in a long time.

For a monitoring software try: https://www.nzxt.com/camapp, even though it may look like its meant for NZXT products it works with most system board sensors.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on January 10, 2021, 04:08:41 PM>stupidly the heat sink I have is pointed at my RAM.

That is normal and really not a bad thing.

Actually its not the Heat Sink, his CPU fan exhausts to the front of the case, over the RAM.  Usually it would exhaust upwards, or out the back of the case, depending on the type of Heat Sink.  I've never encountered one that exhausts forward to the front of the case, and moved hot air over the RAM.  Its like it was installed backwards.

Most of the time your exhaust direction is Front in to Back/Top out.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on January 10, 2021, 06:23:27 PMI've never encountered one that exhausts forward to the front of the case, and moved hot air over the RAM.  Its like it was installed backwards.

Most of the time your exhaust direction is Front in to Back/Top out.

O I thought it was blowing DOWN as most stock heat sink / fan units blow down and only the big tower units blow in a direction other than that...

If it is blowing from the rear to the front it that is odd. It may just be installed backwards or have different mounting options and the wrong one was selected? Maybe the fan mount can be reversed?

Regardless of case that should be corrected, blowing down on the chip, back or up are the only directions that make any sense.

Mr. Analog

Yeah I agree it's a little wonky. This machine is a pre-built from MemEx I only ever open it up for cleaning so I never really thought about it until Melbosa was over on Saturday and remarked on it.

Guess that's another thing for my upgrade list lol

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer