Upgrading RAM dare I upgrade my video card?

Started by Mr. Analog, December 23, 2020, 05:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 06, 2021, 09:41:06 PMNot sure why all 4 wouldn't allow though

4 should work fine but who knows if there is one bad module or one or two that are not seated correctly.

Sounds like you have expert support coming over so you should be set ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 06, 2021, 09:53:35 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 06, 2021, 09:41:06 PMNot sure why all 4 wouldn't allow though

4 should work fine but who knows if there is one bad module or one or two that are not seated correctly.

Sounds like you have expert support coming over so you should be set ;)
Hehe yeah. Here's hoping

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Woke up today with a bit of a sore throat and slight cough.  Did you still want me to come by or see if I get better by the weekend?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 07, 2021, 10:09:32 AMWoke up today with a bit of a sore throat and slight cough.  Did you still want me to come by or see if I get better by the weekend?
Weekend is fine, I hope you feel better soon!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Doing some reading and my RAM issue might be BIOS related. I'm gonna flash it tonight and see what happens

How you feeling Mel? Still up for the weekend?

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2021, 01:36:22 PMDoing some reading and my RAM issue might be BIOS related. I'm gonna flash it tonight and see what happens

How you feeling Mel? Still up for the weekend?

Yep feeling much better today thanks!

Mr. Analog

So if I put two sticks of RAM in it works but if I put all four in it doesn't, I'm starting to think this is a motherboard hardware issue

Here's a link to the manual, I have the 16 GB kit installed in the A2 and B2 slots as shown in the diagram in section 1.2.4, when I try putting in the other kit the mobo won't pass the RAM check

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-PRO/E8489_Z87-PRO.pdf

Kinda frustrating...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2021, 04:37:48 PMSo if I put two sticks of RAM in it works but if I put all four in it doesn't, I'm starting to think this is a motherboard hardware issue

Here's a link to the manual, I have the 16 GB kit installed in the A2 and B2 slots as shown in the diagram in section 1.2.4, when I try putting in the other kit the mobo won't pass the RAM check

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-PRO/E8489_Z87-PRO.pdf

Kinda frustrating...

Do BOTH kits work when populated ONLY in A2 and B2 if you swap both out?

Are both KITS exactly the same?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2021, 05:34:24 PMYes and yes unfortunately :/
I can be a MHz speed or CL issue.  I've seen that before where the faster ram should down clock to the other ram, but not always.  Its actually not a good practice to mix MHz or CLs in RAM, for a few reasons.  This could be the problem.  We'll look tomorrow when I come by :D.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 08, 2021, 05:58:31 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 08, 2021, 05:34:24 PMYes and yes unfortunately :/
I can be a MHz speed or CL issue.  I've seen that before where the faster ram should down clock to the other ram, but not always.  Its actually not a good practice to mix MHz or CLs in RAM, for a few reasons.  This could be the problem.  We'll look tomorrow when I come by :D.

Datum sounds good to me
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

@Melbosa what time do you figure you'll be over?

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

@Mr. Analog sometime after 1PM.  Text you more when I have a definite time.