Sochi Olympics

Started by Melbosa, February 07, 2014, 09:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Anyone getting up to watch the Canada-Sweden gold medal game Sunday morning? It starts at 5am. I'm sitting in a hotel on a tournament, and there's a couple of families talking about getting together in one room and watching together. And apparently bars are being allowed to serve beer at 5am (although that could just be an internet hoax).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Supposedly the premier posted it. But I don't know if thats real... It would be a good pr move I think.

5am is quite early.. but who knows I might be up at that point anyhow.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on February 21, 2014, 10:01:24 PM
Supposedly the premier posted it. But I don't know if thats real... It would be a good pr move I think.

There were talks a few weeks before the Olympics began about temporarily modifying the liquor-serving rules (laws?) in Alberta for just a few days for this exact situation, i.e. to allow people to gather publicly and enjoy spectating the ungodly-hour final with some booze. Never heard the outcome, so would not be surprised if what you heard is actual legit.

PS:
Quote from: Thorin on February 21, 2014, 09:20:54 PM
Anyone getting up to watch the Canada-Sweden gold medal game Sunday morning?

geez bro, SPOILERS WARNING okay?

;)

I am pleasantly surprised to see that though, was VERY MUCH expecting USA vs Sweden. So on that note, in advance, congrats Sweden*!  ;D

But seriously WOW , and also WOW how "ehs-pin" (as Ron Burgundy pronounces it) reacted to the defeat:
http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/10497830/2014-sochi-olympics-team-usa-loses-trying-cute-canada

^ in the video the 2 suits are actually pretty humble and honest when it comes to giving credit to Canada for "outplaying" USA. But even more surprising: also most of the COMMENTS seem to acknowledge that Canada played better and maybe even was the better of the 2 teams. You don't expect that from hardcore sports fans who are typical "America can do no wrong" no matter what the sport.

*but seriously, I hope Canada's coaching team doesn't think it's A Done Deal by any means, humility is needed here for sure, come on boys let's step up our game this weekend!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

The Fins romped USA today, it was crazy

I guess we were too rough on them
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, I'm not going to put spoiler warnings on things that are advertised in the newspaper.

ALGC (Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commmission) has confirmed that they have agreed to a province-wide exemption to allow all licensed premises to start serving alcohol when the gold medal game starts (5am).  So you're not allowed to be served between 2am and 5am.  Still, that's an awesome, forward-thinking, Canada-supporting move by the government of Alberta.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Yeah, I think it's pretty awesome. One of the reasons given in toronto was that people are probably going to be drinking anyhow, this just makes it more manageable.

Melbosa

I'll be thinkin' about it myself... then I'll prob sleep in and watch it by myself without anyone spoiling it for me.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on February 22, 2014, 04:56:55 PM
I'll be thinkin' about it myself... then I'll prob sleep in and watch it by myself without anyone spoiling it for me.

I'll make sure to post the score here and then PM you with the score in the title

:)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm sure we'll all know anyway due to the tremendous roars around town ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 22, 2014, 08:33:43 PM
I'm sure we'll all know anyway due to the tremendous roars around town ;)

I slept through the roaring. Cliffs?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Team Canada put da puck in da net while the Swedes forget to do that bit

Oops!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

three times

Crosby finally scored
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Ha, I totally missed this from the preliminary round of men's hockey at the Sochi Olympics:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1962601-slovakian-goalie-jan-laco-delivers-punishing-butt-check

The Slovakian goalie did his job - shutting out the other team through regular time and overtime - and he did his defense's job - bodychecking the other team off the puck.  In a hilarious manner.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful