Good movies to watch?

Started by Tom, July 10, 2015, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 11, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
Yeah 300 is a classic Sword & Sa ndals movie, I was surprised when it came out in 2006. Wasn't expecting it
Are "Sword & Sandal" movies edited and presented like 300? :o I found its story telling, layout, and presentation weird.

Another movie you may like is Bullitt. It's sort of like the prototype of many action movies.

The French Connection is also good for the final showdown, the same thing with HEAT
I'll look at those too :)

Again, I tried to make a list of stuff that are action that you would like and probably hadn't seen

In conclusion watch Leon the Professional
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Sword & Sandals films are an action fantasy subgenre stuff like Sinbad and Hercules, where the fantastcal meets fight

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 11, 2015, 10:23:29 PM
Sword & Sandals films are an action fantasy subgenre stuff like Sinbad and Hercules, where the fantastcal meets fight
Ah, so its just a genre, like "mahou shoujo" :D Yeah, I didn't mind that at all. Just found the presentation odd.

Mr. Analog

Yeah 😎

Some of em are good. Kind of a mood thing

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Ya. I love me some fantasy action. Heck, some of my favorite movies and anime are fantasy action. :D

you have to admit 300 was rather stylized.

Thorin

Sorry, just saw Dirty Harry and Guns Of Navarone in the list and remembered those as being from a long time ago.

In that vein, Ice Station Zebra was a really good old movie.

I've been looking for good war movies, and last year I came across the show The Last Ship. I thought that one was really well done. And so was Last Resort, although that got cancelled (but the writers were told in time so there's a proper ending).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I have a whole other list for war movies :-)

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Ice station zebra is one of my favorite films, also it was Howard Hughes favorite film how can you go wrong? !

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Dirty Harry was in the list, which made me think of Clint Eastwood movies, which made me think of Gran Torino. It's not an action movie, but man, it'll draw you in. And you learn a bunch of stuff about three Hmong people.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on July 11, 2015, 07:09:46 PM
I was searching for Action/Adventure, and several lists suggest Lego ;)

To be honest, I really felt like watching good old dumb action flicks. Stuff like Bourne, Ocean's, F&F, Mission Impossible, Die Hard, etc.

Netflix has all 4 of the Bourne movies (and imo all 4 are watchable, yes even the "sorta-sequel" without Matt Damon) and also there's a bunch of the Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan films, including all of the Harrison Ford ones as well as Hunt For Red October (surprisingly fast-paced considering the era that classic was made) ... and the modern Jack Ryan movie with Chris Pike is quite good too, a decent thrill ride without relying too much on shaky cams and quick cuts and hipster dialog etc.

Sure wish there was more stuff like Fifth Element on Netflix. But there's been quite an increase in quality classics (including scifi and thrillers) from 1980s thru 2000s over the last couple months, my List keeps growing.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I guess the new Bourne movie is a clunker uhhhhnghghhhghhhhhhhhh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Going Sun, will let you know.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on July 29, 2016, 01:02:13 PM
Going Sun, will let you know.

2 hours of close shots and a spotty plot. The review I saw this morning said "Bad Moms" was a better film
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Reviewers, Critics, BAH, what do they know... they're almost as bad as Weather guys :P ;)
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

LOL so how was Bourne?

Also did anybody see Suicide Squad?
By Grabthar's Hammer