Shopping for a Samsung 1080p 43 inch - 50 inch TV... store suggestions?

Started by Darren Dirt, October 27, 2015, 01:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

So I'm shopping for a Samsung 1080p 43 inch - 50 inch TV... store suggestions you guys?

TheSource
Visions
Best Buy
Memory Express
Walmart
The Brick

Any others you can think of? I want a website to do price comparing (will use Amazon for reviews to look out for lemons etc.) and ideally a store I can walk in to.

Found some sweet deals for older models @ TheSource.ca but of course they are all sold out, ditto for some on Visions.ca -- in both cases we're talking $500 or $600 for a 46" or 50". So I have now accepted I'm looking at around $699.95 for what I want. Just gotta make sure there's nobody I am missing from the list of candidate stores to take my money...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

MemEx the least hassle and the best service all in one

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on October 27, 2015, 01:10:22 PM
Costco maybe?

I walked through there last night and the selection was pretty limited, and no big price slashings that I could see.

Also I don't currently have a membership, so unless there was at least $60 in savings vs. somewhere else I wouldn't buy from there anyway.

MemEx also seems to have less selection than Best Buy or Visions, and the latter 2 seem to have identical prices for certain models (sometimes MemEx seems $5-$25 more than those two for the same one, strangely).

Dang I sure wish the sweet deals I found online weren't sold out...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 27, 2015, 01:18:08 PM
Dang I sure wish the sweet deals I found online weren't sold out...

Unless they are within Canada they aren't really deals, import tax on electronics is redonculous

Also the conversion sux at the moment so...?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Anything else you're interested in besides 1080p? Like, 3d, smart, 120hz, etc?

Also, damn prices have come down. I recently found my receipt for my 50" 720p plasma - $1400 plus tax... Although that's been, like, seven years or so.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Hell even 4K is getting to that reachable zone for larger displays
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I bought mine at costco using a friend's membership ;D i don't know if i got the best deal, but it was pretty decent at the time, and it is an absolutely awesome panel. Basic semi-smart Samsung 55". I compared all of the larger tv's they had there, and it was between this and an LG. The LG was "smarter" and a couple hundred $$$ cheaper but this samsung looked way better. I went with quality over quantity...

My 55" was like $1300 or so about 4 years ago. Prices are much lower now.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Why Samsung specifically?

You might want to checkout Vizio as well. Bestbuy stocks them... Tend to have WAY more features for the $ than Samsung.

Tom

I've heard Samsung aren't quite as good as they were in the past. I don't know if that's still the case, but that's what people were saying a couple/few years ago. They did what any company does when they "win" a market. They got lazy.

Melbosa

I'm using a non-smart LG and love it myself, but I wasn't interested in the smart features as my XBone does it all already.  I bought mine from Costco in March.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on October 27, 2015, 03:46:48 PM
I'm using a non-smart LG and love it myself, but I wasn't interested in the smart features as my XBone does it all already.  I bought mine from Costco in March.

That's the way to be, chances are you'll link your own device up anyway rather than using whatever built-in client apps it has

Dumb TV + smart devices is the way to go
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2015, 03:53:27 PM

That's the way to be, chances are you'll link your own device up anyway rather than using whatever built-in client apps it has

Yup. It's too likely that services get updated, and the TV won't be. Like Youtube dropping its older API ceremonially, causing many devices to stop working with youtube.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 27, 2015, 03:57:05 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2015, 03:53:27 PM

Yup. It's too likely that services get updated, and the TV won't be. Like Youtube dropping its older API ceremonially, causing many devices to stop working with youtube.

Absolutely, or a change in licensing which means a software update modifies a feature so that it's no longer useful
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Only thing that has me a bit miffed is that Vimeo app on Samsung TVs is up-to-date but still no Vimeo release on XBone (but there is a 360 version).  I've tried to work around it with a Channel in Plex, but it won't load my VOD from Vimeo that way.  The only workaround right now is Vimeo Website Couch Mode using the XBone IE. But I think once the uniform update comes out making the Windows 10 interface changes across all Microsoft devices the same, the Vimeo App in the Windows 10 store will probably show up on my XBone as well (/crossfinders).