Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy coming in April!

Started by Darren Dirt, March 08, 2005, 07:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

#2 is *totally* in the spirit of DNA's brilliant heart-wrenching pants-wetting sci-fi laughfest. Watch it first, before #3. You'll know why after you've followed all my instructions. This is not even Mission: Difficult, so don't worry about this message self-destructing. My instructions are simple.

#2 http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/trailers/

Ok, so AFTER you have watched the above - and you *are* following these directions, right? I really mean it, first watch #2. Then *after* watching it, check out #3 - a VERY Americanized trailer.

And as you watch #3, especially reflect on how the above #2 had described exactly what encompasses a typical (Hollywoodesque) trailer.

And laugh/cry/phone a friend at how #3 totally exactly follows that formula.

#3 http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/main.html

Can't wait - and we don't even have to wait until May - woot! Gonna watch #2 again, now. :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I thought it was supposed to be out in May!?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

End of April, close enough...
PS: some advance screening audiences have said many positive things about the effects, and the "Internet Only" trailer (#2) definitely gets my hopes up that it will not dirty the memory of DNA's Brit humour by using sitcomesque dialogue etc. What did ya think of the trailers? (did you watch them yet?)

Shayne

Darren Dirt

Shayne

QuoteThe Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy movie is bad. Really bad. You just won't believe how vastly, staggeringly, jaw-droppingly bad it is. I mean, you might think that The Phantom Menace was a hopelessly misguided attempt to reinvent a much-loved franchise by people who, though well-intentioned, completely failed to understand what made the original popular - but that's just peanuts to the Hitchhiker's movie.

http://www.planetmagrathea.com/shortreview.html
...suddenly i feel that maybe i dont want to see it anymore.  Granted this review comes from a website dedicated to the franchise, but still, i dunno.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

As well as being staggeringly unfunny - and Hitchhiker’s Guide really is one of the least funny comedy films ever made - the film also suffers by having an entirely nonsensical plot.

Yikes.

This from a DNA-loving slanted PlanetMag?

Okay, um, CONSIDERING this comes from the DNA-loving slanted PlanetMag, you'd think either ...

a. they are sparing True Fans from wasting their money on Hollywood Tripe
b. they are *joking*, in the spirit and style of (and in homage to) DNA

So... which is it... save a copy of trailer #2 (with the Guide entry for "Movie Trailers") as a memory of "what might have been" and don't take the chance? Or go see it even if it causes you to repeatedly/incessantly shout out to the screen "BELGIUM!" to the horror of those around you. Hmmm...

- - -
PS: Followed one of the links on that short-review page, and all I can say is...

sacrilege!

Bryan

They could be undermining it, so the film seems a hell of alot better than it actually is.

example. Hostage , really good movie, not so good trailer. really good movie

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Shayne

Im putting my eggs in to the "Its gonna suck if you read the book" basket.

Tonnica

With that link to what they left out of the movie, I'm moved to go see it just so I can find out what they left in. Like so much English humor and Duckula cartoons, the really good bits are built up to subtly.

I could certainly see removing some of the important asides in the movie making the plot utterly nonsensical. There are a couple gag and chuckle bits (God vanishing in a puff of logic, Zaphod's glasses suddenly going black and him looking very worried about it) that could be cut for time, but there's also quite a few bits in that list that become important to the overall story. Not explaining about Magrethea before they arrive? That's just bound to get some blank stares.

Mr. Analog

Suffice to say the only people this movie will really draw are H2G2 fans, and sadly they will piss us off by changing things around that are canon for us fans.

There is no emoticon that embodies what I'm feeling right now.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

The PlanetMag page said it best (summarizing from my memory from an hour ago) --> Douglas Adams was a *dialogue* writer.

So from what I now see today (thankfully I was wearing my Peril Sensitive Sunglasses at the time) they seemed to trim so much important dialogue (and by Zarquon I hope I am wrong!) - presumably to make room for action, Hollywoodesque cliches, etc. well I am certainly expecting to feel a bit ripped off by the end of the film, and therefore will respond by going to the Local Book Shoope to buy a sparkling new all-5-of-the-trilogy book set, and thus, to retire to bed and enjoy the genius in its intended form.

If I do go see the film in the theatres, I will be sure to bring along in the pocket of my gown The Thing That My Aunt Gave Me That I Don't Know What It Is. That always seems to keep me calm...

Mr. Analog

Hey then again, it could have been done by Jerry Bruckheimer...

The action would centre around planetary explosions, Arthur would be played by Sean Connery, Ford would be played by John Travolta and together they would fight the Vogons using the help of battledroid Marvin played by Sly Stalone...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

And so the IMDB post-war begins (thanks to Mr. PlanetMag's review release)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/board/nest/17701572

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/board/nest/17718483

Wait till the 28th. If Mr Simpson is right, we still have the books. If he is wrong, then we be happy fans.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Hmm.. not so sure I can be as optimistic. I'm not so sure I've still got my hopes up. Nor can I, considering what has been excluded. Poor Marvin, why you even there? Grr...

I think I need to take lunch now, for my spirit has been crushed. Sorry, Douglas! But I guess you knew what Hollywood was all about when you got into bed with her! :(