Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy coming in April!

Started by Darren Dirt, March 08, 2005, 07:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

You hear that?  Thats the sound of Douglas spinning in his grave.

Though you really cant be suprised.  I watched Blade 3 on the weekend and i wanted to gouge my eyes out.  Sure its not a deep franchise, but they really turned Blade into a walking clich? and made VanWilder act like an idiot.

I expect "War of the Worlds" to be the next movie i cry myself to sleep because of.  Speilberg has an eye for the dramatic, but thats just it...

Mr. Analog

I agree wholeheartedly; if a piece of literature is good why change it on the screen? If you have a vision or a story you really want to tell write the suspiciously-close-to-the-book screenplay and make the damn standalone movie. Why descecrate a perfectly good literary icon by sullying it with dumbed-down Hollywood dribble?

I guess that's why I had high expectations about H2G2 'cause I thought that the only way to do this film was by presenting it at face value, maybe a few cuts here or there but mostly keeping it togehter with the original radio / book versions.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I agree wholeheartedly; if a piece of literature is good why change it on the screen?
Actually.

On that note.

The source literature is good. No argument from anyone with the remotest sense of humour. But does that make it inherently good for the screen?

There is an excellent point raised in one of the many brilliant vignettes in "Waking Life" where 2 guys are discussing film called "The Holy Moment". I don't remember exactly the words exchanged, but the gist of it was this:

A screenwriter is writing for the screen, which is an inherently visual medium, while the novelist is writing for the written page, which allows for a focus on many other things that just wouldn't work in a film (even an artsy-fartsy one!) therefore what "works" in one might not (and in fact almost always *should* not) work in the other medium, without modifications to stress the strength of that medium.

In other words, I and others assert that the brilliance of H2G2 was primarily in its dialogue (especially that which was a perfect representation of the character delivering it, in an absurb situation of course) but there is no way that a film would be watchable if it was nothing but witty banter between interesting characters. Then again, that same structure got Joss Wheden a half-dozen years of Buffy and Angel... :rolleyes: ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

a "wholly remarkable" new addition to the official movie webpage: http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/guide/hh_guide.html

A sorta-working "guide" with a few important entries (prolly the ones omitted from the film ;))

Darren Dirt

I am planning on going Friday night, not sure where or what time... who's with me? Ignore the well-intentioned preview-critiques, at the very least the film will remind you of the genius that was in the books :)

Melbosa

Sorry never go to the movies on opening night.  Might do Mon/Tues night after the weekend.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

wow, apparently this never happens: the excellent and irreverent "Internet-only" trailer got promoted to "in-theatres-as-well" status

Bryan

Quote from: "Melbosa"Sorry never go to the movies on opening night.  Might do Mon/Tues night after the weekend.
Like you got anything better to do! :P  

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Bryan"
Quote from: "Melbosa"Sorry never go to the movies on opening night.  Might do Mon/Tues night after the weekend.
If he's worried about the theatre being full, don't. The last couple of flicks I saw were ghost towns.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Bryan

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"
Quote from: "Melbosa"Sorry never go to the movies on opening night.  Might do Mon/Tues night after the weekend.
If he's worried about the theatre being full, don't. The last couple of flicks I saw were ghost towns.
I dont he goes out into the light very often. :ph34r:  

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"
I dont he goes out into the light very often. :ph34r:
Indeed, your day star, it burns ussssss.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

It's Wednesday. Friday is in less than 48 hours.

As said in Ocean's Eleven: "Are you in, or are you out?"

Tonnica

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen it but Slashdot presented some user-posted questions to executive producer Robbie Stamp. Article can be seen here. Yet more pondering abounds!

My question was actually picked (on Slashdot I'm Pengunea) and I proved that an idea presented in Dinosaur Comics was actually right. Controversy is a shortcut to being talked about [www.Qwantz.com] (though what kind of talking can vary!).

Darren Dirt

Okay so if I wanted to hear/read other people's opinions about a movie that they have not yet seen, then I would return back to wasting my time perusing IMDB discussion threads.

Now I'm wondering if I am going to the WEM premier night with my brother and his son only, or will anyone else join us... There, look, I took action and sorta made plans, now it's up to anybody else Zaphod-enough to join us :D

Shayne

Not to resurrect or anything but...

Metacritic: 62/100 based on 32 reviews
Rottentomatoes: 61/100 based on 82 reviews

...given that, im thinking its worth my $8.  I havent read H2G2 in over 10 years, so im sure it will still entertain me as im sure ive forgotten most of it :)