Main Menu

Sin City

Started by Ustauk, March 31, 2005, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: "Bryan"Can you really compare the two?
As much as I guess you could compare Hellboy to a REAL spawn movie, if they ever make one.  Actually a Decent represtation of the Spawn comic in movie form would be a good movie to compare against Sin City, as they would be very similar in violence and graphic content, as well as confusing at times.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

What you didn't like the original Spawn movie? It was great!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

It wasn't bad (I even own it myself), but PG13 version Movie when the Comic is clearly R rated for violence and content, just never sat right with me.  The Cartoon series HBO did was far better representation of the true comic style and content then the movie was.  Not that the movie didn't tell a good story.

Mr. Analog

I guess, I wasn't a big Spawn (the comic) fan, but there are things that could have been cooler in the movie, unfortunatly in those days (early 90s) I don't think you could pitch an R-rated flick based on a comic. Thankfully the animated series was done ('cause it gave it justice), but it was cut off for not being "marketable" which was a pisser when I watched the last ep and there was no more to come...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Something interesting on the development of this movie:

AMD Systems Used in Movie Production

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Ustauk"
Not directly, know, but I'd say I derived about even satisfaction from both.
Personally the first 2 minutes were weird for me, I almost laughed out loud at the voiceover and the not-subtle dialogue... I was a bit worried I would be over-analyzing things or something. Then suddenly it clicked, I felt like I was "living a graphic novel" (that I have not yet read, but now plan to!) and I was in for a hellsaride!

I actually felt chills a few scenes, they were so perfect, the feel and the cinematography and the music... to me it was an experience, a generation-defining work of art. Seriously. And knowing the RR didn't even have an actual script, that he just used Frank Miller's original work - with FM by his side every day of shooting - makes it all the more "special feeling inside" when the credits started rolling. At least for me.

Of course I haven't seen Hellboy ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"
Quote from: "Ustauk"
Not directly, know, but I'd say I derived about even satisfaction from both.
Personally the first 2 minutes were weird for me, I almost laughed out loud at the voiceover and the not-subtle dialogue... I was a bit worried I would be over-analyzing things or something. Then suddenly it clicked, I felt like I was "living a graphic novel" (that I have not yet read, but now plan to!) and I was in for a hellsaride!

I actually felt chills a few scenes, they were so perfect, the feel and the cinematography and the music... to me it was an experience, a generation-defining work of art. Seriously. And knowing the RR didn't even have an actual script, that he just used Frank Miller's original work - with FM by his side every day of shooting - makes it all the more "special feeling inside" when the credits started rolling. At least for me.

Of course I haven't seen Hellboy ;)
Y'know, this is exactly the kind of thing I didn't want to hear ;) (j/k)

If anyone wants to go again, let me know please :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I'll see if I can wrangle some more money out of my family budget soon, Mr. A., if no one else wants to go.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Pfft! I can spot you $6 for a movie...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I don't like to borrow money from friends.  If I do, I am always antsy to pay it back.  I don't mind borrowing from banks or credit card corporations, because it's an arm's-length transaction and there is no friendship at stake.

I don't like just getting money from friends, either.  I'm in the pickle I'm in because I have bought so many things on credit, banking on being able to pay it off in the future.  It is my problem to pay that debt-load off, and my problem to find money to still go out and get entertained.

Thanks for the thought, though. :)  Two more years, and I should be back to having a decent amount of spending cash.  Maybe sooner if profit sharing and raises are higher than I expect ($0 and 2% raise per year, respectively).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Anybody want to go this week?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Anybody want to go this week?
I think 2 viewings in a 3 day period was enough for me.

But I would totally recommend seeing it On The Big Screen, there's so much my bro' missed by seeing it on a 17" monitor... So hopefully another of our gang-o-geeks will join ya.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.