V For Vendetta - who wants to see it opening Friday 17th?

Started by Darren Dirt, March 01, 2006, 02:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you planning on seeing V For Vendetta?

Opening Week -- gotta tell Hollywood me like Freedom films!
2 (33.3%)
First month -- after reading reviews and letting others risk their money
2 (33.3%)
Cheap theatres -- want big screen experience without big $
0 (0%)
Rental/download -- small screen solo experience okay since it's cheaper
2 (33.3%)
Never -- action films with philosophical/political based plot don't float my boat
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 01, 2006, 02:38:36 PM

Darren Dirt

Who else is interested in seeing "V For Vendetta" when it comes out middle of this month? I figure it's a good idea to plan well in advance, seeing as how difficult it is historically for more than 3 of us to get together ;)

And for anyone not aware of the film, the IMDB page for it has tons of forums threads (with some spoilers, sadly) and also the official page will give you an idea what it's all about.

In a nutshell: "Vendetta" is a well-known graphic novel in the 1980s/1990s illustrated by David Lloyd and written by Lloyd and Alan Moore. The Wachowski Brothers (aka Matrix dudes) wanted to make "Vendetta" even before they made the Matrix (see IMDB trivia page), but apparently didn't have the clout/experience/funding to make it happen. Some of the most memorable pro-individualistic-freedom messages and even some exact dialog in the first Matrix movie (let's just ignore #2 and #3) were lifted right out of "Vendetta", including what Morpheus says about "you've always been in a prison, you were born into slavery..." There's lots of action of course, but also hopefully the profound dialogue and monogues are retained from the written work. Overall it should be a fun ride, even if it isn't as "faithful to the source material" as some of us would like.

Oh, and it should be dark, ala Batman Begins, or so I hope (based on the trailers I've seen).

That's all I'm going to say, before some of you start calling me Harry Knowles or maybe a "fanboy" or something :)

- - -

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/plotsummary

IMDB trivia page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/trivia

Official site: http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I wouldn't mind seeing it on the 17th as I haven't been to a movie since Batman Begins...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

I'd be up for that. I have three Platinum Plus tickets we can use, and I can get more if need be.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Those don't work downtown, do they.

Now that Famous Players has merged with Cineplex Odeon, they work for almost all theatres, except Imax and the second run theatres, where they'd be more expensive then the tickets :)

Zapata Prime

The theater downtown is an Empire Cinema and they don't take those anymore..
If there is one thing that Mahatma Gandhi stands for its REVENGE!!

Ustauk

Quote from: "ZapataPrime?"The theater downtown is an Empire Cinema and they don't take those anymore..

Blast, you're right.  I phoned them, and my tickets will only work at North Edmonton Cinemas, South Edmonton Common, Silver City, and Galaxy in Sherwood Park.  Darren lives on the south side, so I'd be willing to provide transport to Mr. Analog to and from South Edmonton Common if necessary.

Tom

I'd enjoy seeing a flic. Its a little far away now to say if I'll be making it..
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

I don't think this will be that good, so gonna say rental...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Early reviews, barring a few comic purists, have been fairly raving.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I wanna see it opening week to piss off Alan "I'm never happy with any adaptation of 'my' work" Moore ;)

Mr. Analog

I liked his work on Promethea, an interesting comic for sure.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

The man is definitely creative, and a success to boot. But I've read some of his silly public comments the past 12 months, before Vendetta was even finished production; he seems s curmudgeonesque when it comes to his art being translated into a different form -- even before the translation is completed. :|

And hey, Alan, I actually enjoyed "LOXG" :)

More about Moore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore#Film

Mr. Analog

Yeah, he's "wacky" and both DC and Marvel "wuv him"... ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

If we see it on the 17th, we'll have to catch an earlier show, as that's St. Patrick's Day.