V For Vendetta - who wants to see it opening Friday 17th?

Started by Darren Dirt, March 01, 2006, 02:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you planning on seeing V For Vendetta?

Opening Week -- gotta tell Hollywood me like Freedom films!
2 (33.3%)
First month -- after reading reviews and letting others risk their money
2 (33.3%)
Cheap theatres -- want big screen experience without big $
0 (0%)
Rental/download -- small screen solo experience okay since it's cheaper
2 (33.3%)
Never -- action films with philosophical/political based plot don't float my boat
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 01, 2006, 02:38:36 PM

Darren Dirt

V for Vendetta - Beautiful, intelligent, bold, graphic poetry.

(17Mar2006)

This film's excellent trailers could not have done it justice. The brilliant graphic novel has been skillfully adapted into an explosive Hollywood blockbuster, amazingly without diluting its plentiful tyranny-condemning dialogue.

More quotable than Napoleon Dynamite, and more courageously in-your-face truth-telling than The Matrix. "Writers lie in order to tell the truth; governments lie to cover it up" etc.

Well done, Natalie, Hugo, James, and of course Andy and Larry! You managed to stay faithful to the source, while taking full advantage of the unique strengths of the big screen. The original V's spirit is honoured by your inspiring work!

P.S. "St. Mary's" = 911WTC/GroundZero. Keep that in mind as you experience this compelling, challenging, uplifting, and sometimes bloody modern work of art.

- - -

V: [introducing/explaining himself after first meeting Evey] This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, it is vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified.

However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-a-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me "V".

Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?

:lol:

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Anyone not see this yet? I plan on going sometime this week (maybe Wednesday).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

I would enjoy watching it again -- seriously.

The opening "Introductory Speech" (I quoted above) makes a whole lotta sense now that I've seen the film once (and in a way you guys have that to chew on pre-viewing ;) )

Anytime this week after work is good for me, it would be nice to see you hosers too, I think it was like last year I last saw ya (just about) :P

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Come out to Gateway with us tomorrow then! :)

What time? I gotta be home right after work for a quick kids-clothes-pickup, other than that I could meet you guys there later. :)

Mr. Analog

Sure, I'm sure most of us won't be there until 6ish.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"
Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Come out to Gateway with us tomorrow then! :)

What time? I gotta be home right after work for a quick kids-clothes-pickup, other than that I could meet you guys there later. :)

I can swing by your place on my way down.  I probably will get to your place some time between 5:40 and 6:00.  Is that okay?

Darren Dirt

Dionne will be there right at 6:00; the 304 bus leaves Southgate at 6:30 so I will do everything in my power to be on that bus and see you guys at Gateway at 6:40ish.

Thanks for the ride offer though. :)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Hey guys FYI check the "Get Together" thread in the Edmonton local forum.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Anyone in Edmonchuk want to see this (either 'again' like me or 'first time' like some of you busy people)

If so, post here (rather than the old 'get together' thread) so it's less confusing i.e. related to the movie as the specific activity.

...not sure who is still waiting to see, or see a second time...

PS: Tues. and Thurs. nite this week = me already busy.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer