Main Menu

Buying a new TV

Started by Thorin, June 04, 2006, 12:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 28, 2008, 06:23:38 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 28, 2008, 11:57:30 AM
I'm actually looking at getting a new TV (gasp!).

I figure I'll have enough saved up in a few months to buy one cash, the trick is finding the right combination of features. I did a bunch of research about six months ago, but prices and technology has changed since then (to the point where I have to go hunting around again).

I'm leaning toward plasma at the moment, but only because it seems to be a bit cheaper without sacrificing quality.
The only problem seems to be the short lifespan and the excess heat generated by plasmas.

True, the search has only begun.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

plasma is bad for gaming. Image retention is bad as well. Go LCD.

Thorin

Okay, so I ended up getting a TV.

I got what I posted earlier, a Samsung PN50A450.  It's a 50" plasma 720p, with 3 HDMI inputs, 2 component inputs, and two composite inputs (one of the component inputs functions as either component or composite depending on what you plugged in).

I also bought a high-quality stand that the TV is permanently attached to, because I could already see one of the kids bouncing into the TV and watching it fall down in slow motion.

Last but not least, I bought component cables for the Wii and the DVD player.

I paid $1,400 for the TV, $400 for the stand, $250 for the service plan (down from $400, the only thing they'd haggle on), $40 for the component Wii cable, $47 for the component cable for the DVD player, $45 recycling fee ("ADS") and tax.  Total was $2,291.xx.

First Impressions:

Last night, after setting up the stand (two bent shelf frames - new ones are already on their way from the manufacturer) and attaching the TV, I hooked up the cable.

Regular channels look okay, although I waffled between watching them in 4:3 or 16:9 mode.  Some shows (Battlestar Galactica, Generation Kill) have been filmed in a format that on 4:3 shows black bands on the top and bottom.  These shows I could watch in Zoom 1 mode and see the entire picture with no black bands.

Today when I got home, my son hooked up the Wii component cable, changed the settings in the Wii (16:9 screen size and EDTV/HDTV 480p output).  The wife, the kids, and I all agree that things are much clearer, sharper, and brighter.  For instance, in Blazing Angels we could now tell the difference between the sky and ocean (important when trying to decide whether to peel off or keep going straight!).  Blazing Angels wasn't meant for high def of any sort, though - at least not on the Wii.  Mario & Sonic At The Olympics was a better indicator of how much better the picture looked.

In the next couple of days I'll try hooking up the DVD player and see what DVDs look like.  I don't have an upscaling DVD player, so it won't be as nice as an HD-DVD or Blu-ray would look, but I'm all tapped out for money now so I won't be getting them anytime soon.

Now a word about the salesman that helped me at Futureshop.  I was surprised at how much he actually knew about the TV and typical hookups.  He even managed to be more technically correct about our cable box than I was!  (I stated that our cable box was standard def and that it didn't have a high def signal, he explained to my wife that although it was officially digital because it received the broadcasts using digital technology, it sent out the signal to the TV as standard def).  He also knew exactly what hookups and how many were on the back of the TV even though they've got 40+ models on display there, and he knew the difference between composite and component without having to ask how many plugs or anything.

I went for the cheapest 50" TV I could get (was replacing an old 52").  Basically it still cost me $2,300, though.  However, I'm happy with how it looks and fits into the living room.  If the old TV hadn't died, though, I wouldn't have bought anything new.

Oh, and an interesting tidbit about Samsung's plasmas.  Samsung warrants all their TVs for 1 year parts and labour, except the plasmas which are warranted for 2 years parts and labour.  Either they're trying to build a reputation, or their own research has shown their plasmas to be more reliable.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on July 28, 2008, 06:58:08 PM

I haven't noticed any image retention yet and the TV has had about 10 hours of use so far, including gaming.  And this TV was $800 less than a comparable LCD and is pretty well-liked on AVS Forum from what I've read.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I've heard that too, what I'm worried about with LCD is dead (or even worse, lit) pixels.
By Grabthar's Hammer

raeofsunshine

Quote from: Thorin on July 28, 2008, 08:41:34 PM

I haven't noticed any image retention yet and the TV has had about 10 hours of use so far, including gaming.  And this TV was $800 less than a comparable LCD and is pretty well-liked on AVS Forum from what I've read.

May take about a month before you notice anything.

If you watch lots of Standard def TV with the black bars you may notice that on HD content the areas where the bars where will be brighter from getting less use.

Also Raeofsunshine had a Paper Mario marathon on the TV when it was new and the score indicator was visible for a while after.. The white wash feature cleared most of this up but it is a pain and a waste of power to run it over night.

Thorin

I've got a friend with last year's Samsung plasma, a 42", and plays quite a bit of video games on there.  He hasn't noticed any image retention.  As far as HD content, well, he mostly watches HD but even then most signals from the HD cable box still have some black top and bottom.  And even there, when he switches to a full-screen game he doesn't notice extra brightness.  He's had the TV since September 07, so that first month has gone by.

So what do you have, LCD or Plasma? (I remember asking that before in this thread)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I have a CRT thats as old as ME! Rae and Lazy have a 42" Samsung Plasma.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Yay for my DLP!  May the technology survive the grave (at least the rumours of it dying out)!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on July 30, 2008, 11:58:36 AM
Yay for my DLP!  May the technology survive the grave (at least the rumours of it dying out)!
Most places are closing their plants.. But I think at least one manufacturer is increasing capacity, but I can't recall for sure.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

raeofsunshine

Quote from: Thorin on July 30, 2008, 11:10:50 AM
I've got a friend with last year's Samsung plasma, a 42", and plays quite a bit of video games on there.  He hasn't noticed any image retention.  As far as HD content, well, he mostly watches HD but even then most signals from the HD cable box still have some black top and bottom.  And even there, when he switches to a full-screen game he doesn't notice extra brightness.  He's had the TV since September 07, so that first month has gone by.

So what do you have, LCD or Plasma? (I remember asking that before in this thread)

My Plasma details

If there are black bars on the top and bottom but not also on the sides for regular tv your friend is running in stretched mode all the time. This would mean more content would not have bars but it also means all SD content would be stretched and distorted. I always watch in a 1:1 ratio for the content.

------------------

I hate sharing a PC with one login... This was posted by Lazybones.

Thorin

He watches pretty much only HD when it comes to TV.  The advertisements get stretched, but the regular programs are being broadcast in widescreen format.

Thanks for finding the link to your old TV thread.

Now...  Why are you in as Rae?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on July 30, 2008, 01:22:37 PM
He watches pretty much only HD when it comes to TV.  The advertisements get stretched, but the regular programs are being broadcast in widescreen format.

Thanks for finding the link to your old TV thread.

Now...  Why are you in as Rae?

We are sharing a laptop with only one login.