Woot, My future DLP TV is available in canada.

Started by TheDruid, August 28, 2006, 09:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDruid

Samsung: HLS5687WX

This is the latest 1080p; that?s true 1080p, where the DLP chip actually natively supports that resolution without wobolization. Made by Samsung, it uses 7th generation light engine with a redesigned quite color wheel that runs at almost 5000 rpm faster then the older models, which reduces the rainbow effect. Improved contrast ratio  of 10,000:1, and a slick new cabinet design where the screen is emphasized. Its got 2 HDMI ports and USB. It got a "Gamers Mode" where Samsung worked with Microsoft to tune this TV for XBOX 360 play and reviews has said this to be an amassing feature.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/tv/dlptv/hls5687wxxac.asp

The reviews for it on cnet have been fairly positive, except a couple who got a lemon and had a hard time with Samsungs Customer service (really, who deals with direct manufactures these days? buy it at a good place and get some extended warrantee, these are electronics after all, expect the possibility of you getting a lemon, even Best Buy offers 30 days no risk return free of charge). But even the guys with the lemons admitted that the screen looked amassing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_S5687W/4505-6484_7-31783171.html

The guys on the Digital forums had nothing but great things to say, and the discussion mostly swayed to where can i get my hands on one of these beauties, and how cheap can i get it? It is relatively cheap for what it is, Best Buy is selling it for $3300, however guys have been able to haggle and get this TV for $2300 - $2500, which is pretty good when everyone seems to be comparing this TV to the high-end Sony SXBR, and choosing the Samsung over it.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45177

I will probably buy this puppy around Christmas time (when i get the second half of my profit sharing bonus). But my mind is made up, this is the one i want  ;D
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Lazybones

Melbosa

And I think I would go with an HP after doing a lot of research and seeing Cova's in action (and its true 1080p as well - and will take a 1080p single in!):

HP Pavilion MD6580n 65-inch 1080p Microdisplay TV

Although that Samsung is really impressive.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

TheDruid

ouch $4000.00+

A tad pricy for me, im hoping to get the Samsung one for around $2800

Cova

Well Melbosa picked the 65" version of my TV to link there, so ya the price is a little higher - mine is the 5880n, 58" version but otherwize the same specs - and from the quick browsing around I did online, it's within a few hundred $ of the price of that Samsung - they both seem to have an MSRP just over $3000.  Also, my screen (or the 65" version linked above) uses wobulation - the mirror-array is only 960x1080.  A side effect of that though is that it uses diamond-shaped instead of square pixels, there's not even a hint of screen-door effect on my screen, yet its still amazingly sharp when fed a good HD source.  Wobulated or not, it will properly display every single pixel of a 1080p24/30/60 source over HDMI, and it looks damn good doing it.

That samsung looks like a nice unit too.  The game mode is interesting - I did a lot of research on gaming lag on TV's before I bought mine, as it is a large issue on some displays.  I don't have a gaming mode, but I don't have any noticable lag either (tested using racing games - you really notice any lag at all in those).  If you do end up getting it, we'll have to set aside a couple days to try the same source (eg. the same game on a 360) on both our screens and see how they compare.

And finally - here's the official thread for that model of Samsung over at AVS - best forum ever for anything home theater related.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665890

TheDruid

UPDATE

I know i said i was going to wait on this TV, but i bought the 50" version tonight. Here’s why, Visions had a miss print in their flyer this week and they were advertising the HLS5087 for $2188.00!!! (MSRP $2899.99) I went to visions and of course they didn’t have this model in, they admitted that the flyer was incorrect and the price was meant for the HLS5086 model. But since it was printed, they were going to honor the price, but they weren’t even getting this model in until later this week. The sale ended tonight. COST ON THIS TV WAS $2260.00, yes that’s right they were going to honor this TV to me for less than cost. They took my card and are going to call me back when it comes in.

So i went to Best Buy and they had the 56" TV on display (HLS5687, the one in this thread). OH MY GOD THIS TV LOOKS INCREDABLE!!, hands down best TV on the floor (even better looking then the HP that was sitting across from this one). I asked them if they carried the 50", the guy checked and said "Yes, but only in the warehouse", so i whipped out the visions flyer and asked if they would match that price, HE SAID YES, AND WOULD BEAT IT EVEN!!! so he offered it to me for $2116.99 (we're like $150 below cost right now!), but since the visions flyer's sale ended tonight, he could only offer it to me for tonight. I figured that i probably couldn’t get this price again for a long time since this TV is so new that it hasn’t even made it onto the floor yet. How could i refuse, i added the extended warrantee (4 yrs), and the stand, and a power bar. Came out to $3182 after taxes and environmental charges.

Out of curiosity i asked him what kind of package he could put together for me for the 56" model; $4179 after taxes and everything (knocked $300 off MSRP), so $1000 more for 6 more inches... that’s $166 for each extra inch. kind of hard to swallow, they didn’t even come close to tying to give me a "ratio" deal on the 56", and why should they, im already cutting them under cost on the 50". But i bought their warrantee and stand so im sure they still profited off me handsomely.

Long story short, were picking it up from the warehouse tomorrow, i kind of fell in love with the 56" in the store, but the 50" is the exact same thing just smaller (and sharper due to the projection of smaller pixels). I was right up next to the 56" and could not see any pixel structure at all. Viewing distance in my room will be 8' -9' so the 50" is ratioed better for my room. I figured at such a great deal, and 100% money back in the first 30 days i couldn’t pass this up.

I said to my wife, we got to take this deal, even if i like the size of the 56" better, all things point to the 50" (price and room size). It so deceiving in the store to look at the 50" next to the 56" or 60", but get it home into our small room and im sure even the 50" will be massive. We got 30 days to decide if the 50" is good enough for us. If not, they will allow us to trade up to the 56"... at about $1000 - $1100 more  :-[ so what i really have to ask myself for the next 30 days... is 6 more inches worth $1100? ($183/inch)

Ustauk

Congrats on your purchase, Druid.  I hope it works out for you.

Given the size of your living room, I think 56" would be overkill.  50" should be just right.  Out of curiousity, what are you doing with your old TV?

Lazybones

Better get out the tape measure and double check your room.. ;)

Also don't forget that visions has your card number.

TheDruid

Quote from: Lazybones on August 28, 2006, 11:00:59 PM
Better get out the tape measure and double check your room.. ;)

Also don't forget that visions has your card number.

Visions only has my business card, not my credit card, and im sure they wont mind not having to honor a TV to me under cost. And Best buy is 100% money back in the first 30 days. So theres absolutly no risk that i can think of.

My room is 14.5' x 12'

If i position the tv flush against the wall viewing distance is 8' to 9'
If i place it in the corner where my existing TV is, depending on where you sit, viewing distance will be 11' (best position strait on) to 7' (off angle)

TheDruid

But standing in the store only 4' away from the 56" TV, my eyes had no problem taking in the beauty of all 56". Like i said, this TV had no visual pixel structure so im sure even 7 feet away from this TV would be tolerable.

I guess gaming would be the only risk, might be hard to take it all in.

Lazybones

Too bad I am broke.. or I would try and get you to get the Visions one for me when they called you back.. Hard to beet the price...

TheDruid

Quote from: Ustauk on August 28, 2006, 11:00:44 PM
Congrats on your purchase, Druid.  I hope it works out for you.

Given the size of your living room, I think 56" would be overkill.  50" should be just right.  Out of curiousity, what are you doing with your old TV?

Putting it into another room to collect dust... unless there?s interest in buying it? Not sure what i could get for it, it sells for $600 brand new these days. Mine is about 3 yrs old. It weighs about 200lbs, a real pain to move. (My new TV weighs 61 lbs)

TheDruid

Quote from: Lazybones on August 28, 2006, 11:18:26 PM
Too bad I am broke.. or I would try and get you to get the Visions one for me when they called you back.. Hard to beet the price...

Charge it!! =P
The TV is absolutely amasing, go check out the 56" in Best Buy, im sure you will agree. It is a killer deal and hate to see it go to waste. Every review i've read about this TV has nothing but positives to say about it.

Lazybones

Quote from: TheDruid on August 28, 2006, 11:23:48 PM
Charge it!! =P
The TV is absolutely amasing, go check out the 56" in Best Buy, im sure you will agree. It is a killer deal and hate to see it go to waste. Every review i've read about this TV has nothing but positives to say about it.
Although it would be technically possible, I have a hard enough time balancing my monthly expenses as it is..  I just do not have the means to pay it off, so it would end up burdening me even more.

... Damn property taxes...

Shayne

Its amazing how much these companies can drop the price even without a flyer.  When I got mine I told him that I would do $2500 tax, stand, monster cables all included (TV was on the floor at $2599) and they said okay.  I basically ended up getting the TV for about $1750ish.

So the question I have...how do you know which products you can haggle and those you cannot?  Im looking at a 32" LCD for my bedroom but do you think i can get them to drop their $1300 ones to say $1000 even?