Woot, My future DLP TV is available in canada.

Started by TheDruid, August 28, 2006, 09:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

There is a difference between just haggling an item and bundling profit. In your example.

The stand probably had a good margin on it, not sure how much but probably fairly good.
The monster cable can have up to a 200% or MORE markup on it.. cables sold as accessories are nearly pure profit.
Extend the warranty? Again, odds are that that it will be 100% profit.

I remember when I was working in sales that if you bundled things right, on the system you could turn a nice profit while making the customer think they where getting a deal.

In the druids case, he probably is getting an amazing deal.. however, he also bundled a stand and 4 year warranty.

TheDruid

Best bet would be to try and find actual cost prices on the net and use that as some sort of a starting bartering point. Things like the protection plan is almost pure profit for them, so if you express intrest in it im sure they will bend a lot more easily. The stand too, im not sure what the markup is on them but i would imagine its significant.

I heard that cabling usually has a very low markup, which is why some places absolutly refuse to throw them in for free.

Its also worth noting that if your going to barter, pick a cold rainy night on like a monday or somthing. Sales people are more likely to barter and give you a great deal if they havent made their sales target for the day, not to mention less customers around so they are going to invest more time in you.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Lazybones

Quote from: TheDruid on August 29, 2006, 08:30:58 AM
I heard that cabling usually has a very low markup, which is why some places absolutly refuse to throw them in for free.

I can guarantee you that cabling is ultra high profit, and most stores will do anything to retain that high profit. Even at less than ideal pricing you can prove this with Ethernet cable, the price per foot to make a cable vs purchase a packaged one is huge.

TheDruid

Quote from: Lazybones on August 29, 2006, 08:30:33 AM
In the druids case, he probably is getting an amazing deal.. however, he also bundled a stand and 4 year warranty.

Amasing deal on the TV alone, no doubt about it. They were forced to go under cost. I could have walked away with the TV at $2300 after taxes and enviornment charges.

But bottom line i need a stand, and the one that goes with it looks great. Im sure it would be hard to find a glossy black stand for much cheaper that would match this TV ($350, extendable to fit 50", 56" and 60" models)

The protection plan was pure profit no doubt ($450), but with the bulbs being a pain point in DLP, its almost cirtain that i will be excercising this plan in the future. There is limited coverage on the bulb.

Basically the TV's MSRP is 2899.99 add taxes and all and its $3118.00, so just like Shayne, i basically got the stand and protection plan for free. The only difference is, his was the last one of a model they were no longer carrying in his brand. Mine was a brand new latest generation model for my brand.

Shayne

No regrets on my end, its one of things you just gotta go for eventually though.  Its like buying a CPU or a Video Card.

You brought up the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray thing and I thought I would ask Alyson, her rumormill from those in higher places say that they are waiting on the PS3 and the Xbox360 HD-DVD addon before they embrace the upcoming generation and start to bring in the titles.

This "upcoming" generation feels more like laser disc though. Really not a lot of hype and the reviews of the technology from those comparing the 2 and comparing to DVD it doesnt seem like its really worth it.  Think its worth buying the $200 HD-DVD addon for the 360?

Ustauk

I saw this note on an item on edm.forsale.  I don't know if it affects DLPs (the TV mentioned is a regular rear projection model), but I thought I'd post it just in case.

Quote from: edm.forsale
I have a 51" HDTV Widescreen Toshiba TV for sale.
it has very light ghosting in on the top left corner.
*note to self* never leave a dvd playing on the main screen for an extended
long period of time :(

Shayne

Lazybones

Might be a cheap LCD they are the only ones that have ghosting problems from what I understand.. Unless he means burn in, in which case it might be a plasma.

Ustauk

Quote from: Lazybones on August 29, 2006, 02:27:18 PM
Might be a cheap LCD they are the only ones that have ghosting problems from what I understand.. Unless he means burn in, in which case it might be a plasma.
Sorry, I forgot to paste in the model number from the post.  Its a Toshiba 51H84, which on closer inspection is a CRT.  The intial label on the Amazon page had it as a rear projection.  My mistake.  This information would be more useful for Thorin, since I remember he was considering getting a large CRT a while back.

Thorin

Quote from: Ustauk on August 29, 2006, 02:41:57 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on August 29, 2006, 02:27:18 PM
Sorry, I forgot to paste in the model number from the post.  Its a Toshiba 51H84, which on closer inspection is a CRT.  The intial label on the Amazon page had it as a rear projection.  My mistake.  This information would be more useful for Thorin, since I remember he was considering getting a large CRT a while back.

It's still a rear-projection.  There's three Cathode Ray Tubes (one for each colour) in the cabinet pointing up at a large mirror.  The mirror reflects the image through the screen to your eyes.  Much the same way any rear-projection unit works (such as a DLP or LCD rear-projector).

Thanks for the note, but one of my problems is that we watch a lot of regular TV (4:3 ratio) and that the widescreen TVs really don't fit our lifestyle.  And it's bloody impossible to find a big-screen 4:3, these days
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Ustauk

In case somebody's intersted in the Toshiba, despite the ghosting, the original ad on edm.forsale can be found here.  $800

Shayne

My Toshiba does a good job chopping the bottoms and tops off a bit to fit in the 16:9 so normal TV takes up the full screen

TheDruid

My brother is buying my old Sony Trinitron WEGA from me with the stand for $350.00 I gave him a killer deal, It would be hard to get the stand alone these days for less than $150. I paid $1300 for the TV and $200 for the stand 3 years ago.

sony still has this TV listed at $1100 on their website

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=159717

but the strange thing is that the HD version of this TV goes for $600, go figure

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926HDS0010044912&catid=23239

Im glad to be rid of it frankly, its a beast to move and i cant see us using it all that much since we'll have the 50" HD in our living room, and the 27" HD LCD in our bed room.

Didnt get my big screen today, we were suppost to pick it up, but then i measured the van and realized it would not fit. So were having it deliverd. It should arrive after 5:00pm tommarow.

Ustauk

I was at  XSCargo today.  I don't know if you're new TV comes with a DVI input, but they had some Monster DVI cables for $10.  I'm not sure if they're the type you use for a computer, but they might work for that.  They also have a set of Monster S-video and RCA cables for $10, but most likely those are included in the cables you're getting from Best Buy.

TheDruid

I pretty much have all the cables i need right now. since i already purchased the best quality cabling for each component i had hooked up to my old TV. Ive been buying the Philips brand from walmart. Its great combination of quality and price, all gold plated with thick shielding.

The only cabling i need now is an HDMI cable, but i wont need that untill i pick up my HD PVR. BTW, i am on the lookout for a good quality reasonably priced HDMI cables. Does anyone have any suggestions?