Antivirus effectiveness

Started by Lazybones, December 07, 2008, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Hah, you know what's funny?  I actually did #7 in my list, then #8, and only because Lazy was kind enough to reply right away so that I'd see this post again, did I end up getting the beer that I went looking for and then forgot I was looking for!

Thanks, Lazy, because of your attentive posting, I'm now enjoying Big Rock Honey Brown :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

The CACLS trick worked for a while, but everytime the file's updated the CACLS is reset.  So we still have popups.  Oh well, one a day, and it's actually intended to be there, rather than an untold number a day that we don't want our kids to see (I love XKCD: Swimsuit Issue).

Didn't stop a TDSS rootkit from getting installed on my machine though :(  Guess I shouldn't have downloaded a "Best Old Games Compilation" (was hankering for an original Prince of Persia run).  It scanned free and clear, but that's the only thing that's been installed recently, so that's most likely where the rootkit came from.

Oh, and to remove the TDSS rootkit I used TDSSKiller from Kaspersky.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 18, 2010, 10:21:28 PM
2. Navigate to the location of avnotify.exe (on my computer, it was at C:\Program Files\Avira\Antivir Desktop)
Double-clicked to run, the annoying popup displayed. I closed it. Then Right-clicked the file, went to Security tab, for each user/group listed (there were 4 on my machine) I clicked the Deny checkbox for Execute.

Tried double-clicking again.

Denied!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Check again in a week or two, after AnitVir has auto-updated.  The permissions might have gotten reset.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful