Started by Thorin, October 28, 2011, 11:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

28th out of 30 in goals for.
8th out of 30 in league standings.
3rd out of 15 in conference standings.
1st out of 5 in division standings.

NHL Standings

Thank you Khabibulin for returning to what it says on your mask: The Bulin Wall.

This year is so much better than last year was.  Pettrell and Potter have surprised the hell outta me, and it sure feels good having too many NHL-caliber forwards instead of too few for a change.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

HELL YEAH!

Also even though I couldn't give a crap about the teams, the World Series has been AMAZING this year

TOO MUCH GOOD SPORTS
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 28, 2011, 11:50:27 AM
since I've been reading "Last Words" (library ftw!), I gotta link to...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=george+carlin+sports

Soooo... okay, what are ya saying here? Hockey is an activity and they should have land mines in the outfield?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Curious if you ask this from MEMORY of, or after just now listening to, one of his classic bits*?

...it's actually interesting to listen to the routines after having an idea of "where he was" at that time in his life.

*I'm not a big fan of that particular bit ("how to improve various sports") -- imo Baseball vs. Football is way funnier (and more accurate ;) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 28, 2011, 11:50:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=george+carlin+sports

Funny stuff.  However, this is just schtick to get people to laugh, it's certainly no great commentary on sports.  Also not sure how this ties into the purpose for this thread, which is to discuss the surprising start to the Oilers' season with friends (as opposed to the strangers on hfboards), but I think I'm starting to get used to every thread going off-topic on RW.  Hell, I do it myself a whole bunch.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Dang it I've been watching Carlin clips for the last 30 minutes haha

http://youtu.be/DB8wWlPdYRs
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

It's like Rick-rolling, but with Carlin.

ON TOPIC: Jay Batchelor tweeted that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been officially told he's on the team for the rest of the year (holy stretch-out-the-anticipation-for-the-announcement, Batman!).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 28, 2011, 12:46:33 PM
Jay Batchelor tweeted that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been officially told he's on the team for the rest of the year (holy stretch-out-the-anticipation-for-the-announcement, Batman!).

Yeah no kidding! I think it was a foregone conclusion but still they "worked it" for so freakin' long
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Oh yeah!

TIED FOR FIRST IN THE WEST BABY!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

First in the west (Edmonton has a better goal differential because of their stupendously low goals against).  Also, second, SECOND, in the entire league!  Chicago could bump Edmonton to second in the west by winning their next game (they'd have the same points but better goal differential), and Chicago and Washington could bump Edmonton to fourth in the league by winning their next game.  Beyond that, other teams have the same number of games as Edmonton and are lower in the standings.  So it's not just some freak number of points coming from playing more games than other teams, Edmonton's actually got more points than most other teams even with the same number of games played!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Well if the Jets don't make the playoffs and the Oil do this year, I'll be back to cheering for them.  Well they still are my # 2, so I watch and cheer when they aren't causing my Jets hassle with wins ;).

Glad they are making a good start to the season.  Especially for all the fans that stuck with them through the last 5 years of rough road (since the 2006 playoff run).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Yeah, the Jets and the Oil won't see each other much this year.

Oilers: 25 goals scored, 5th place in the league.
Jets: 30 goals scored, 27th place in the league.

The difference?  Goalie save percentages.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Yep only once in Regular Season do they play, and in Winnipeg... so I probably won't see them on the ice live at all this year.

Melbosa

I guess on the "bright side", I'm used to watching a team in the bottom 5 thanks to the oilers. :(