You think HOLY SLKJDF! THEY CAN DO STUFF THIS IS THE YEAR

and then

BELOW AVERAGE PLAY FOREVER

They glide into the playoffs and then glide into the golf course

The Leafs BLOW

ah ah ah!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

6 game win streak; first time since 2002!

BOOYAH
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Lowest goals against in the league.  Dubnyk's in the top 10 goalies for save percentage and goals against average, and all I gotta say is he better step his game up if he wants to take another game away from Khabibulin.  Good lord, that sounds so surreal - before the season started all the bloggers were calling for Dubnyk to be the starter and Khabi to back him up or even get sent down to OKC.

Potter's a surprise signing that is turning out good.  Pettrell, same thing (although his advanced stats are not as good as the announcers are making him sound).  Teubert (acquired in the Penner trade with LA last year) showed himself valuable in his first game up.  I would've never imagined this huge of a turnaround from last year - seriously, at the moment there is talk amongst bloggers of where to put Hemsky because there aren't really any players you want to bump.

Jones maybe?  But he's doing quite well with Horcoff and Smyth.  Gagner?  Paajarvi?  Those two need playing time, too.  Fourth line?  Hemsky on the fourth line?  What a weird thought...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I think Hemsky would make a great soccer coach ;) (j/k)

It's a pleasant surprise for once to have so many new members pay off so soon.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 04, 2011, 03:30:45 PM

Fernando Pisani is coaching little people indoor soccer in St Albert.  It's weird having a former Oiler hold the gate open for you as you come off the field and he goes on.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 04, 2011, 03:42:39 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 04, 2011, 03:30:45 PM

Fernando Pisani is coaching little people indoor soccer in St Albert.  It's weird having a former Oiler hold the gate open for you as you come off the field and he goes on.

hehehehe
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 02, 2011, 06:36:49 PM
If disappointment is what you crave might I suggest the Leafs

"Only one team in the NHL has averaged less than one shot per powerplay ? the Toronto Maple Leafs" - source

God, that must suck.  Even last year, the Oil would average at least one shot per powerplay!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Ah but you don't understand the depths of the suckage my friend lol

You just watch, somehow they'll make it into the second round of playoffs though LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

... Remember when? ...

Hey Mel, gratz on them Jets, they're certainly doing better than the Oil.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Once again the mid-season baffles the Oil... can't say I'm surprised... can't say I'm happy.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Here's an interesting graph: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20112012&gameType=2&viewName=goalsByPeriod

Goals For by period:
1: 46, 2: 50, 3: 43
Goals Against by period:
1: 42, 2: 54, 3: 61

So the Oil start slow, have a scoring bubble in the second period, and taper off into the third.  Meanwhile, the Oil start good at stopping goals, then get progressively worse as the game wears on.

I know how we can fix that, put Pettrell on the second line, Hemsky on the third and Jones on the fourth!  Yeah, that'll make 'em play better!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 09, 2012, 04:04:30 PM
Here's an interesting graph: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20112012&gameType=2&viewName=goalsByPeriod

Goals For by period:
1: 46, 2: 50, 3: 43
Goals Against by period:
1: 42, 2: 54, 3: 61

So the Oil start slow, have a scoring bubble in the second period, and taper off into the third.  Meanwhile, the Oil start good at stopping goals, then get progressively worse as the game wears on.

I know how we can fix that, put Pettrell on the second line, Hemsky on the third and Jones on the fourth!  Yeah, that'll make 'em play better!

well, it's not like we're at the absolute TOP of the list (see it sorted by 3rd period goals-against) (just pretty close).

The real question is, who's to blame? a weak defense? <-- those stats kinda hint at it... but then again maybe it's more like a lazy/uncoordinated offense?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I think we should put Hemsky on the 48th line...
By Grabthar's Hammer