By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Rumour has it that the opening credits for the next Star Wars will use some pretty impressive new technology.

Spoiler

TBH that photo is from How the opening crawl of Star Wars was filmed (technically, SW:TESB)

[close]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I'm not sure about the average movie goer but I'd LOVE to see a return to more practical effects for some things

I recently re-watched the Star Wars saga, original flavour and New Coke flavour and I realized that the main downside is that the CG modelling looked very video gamey, the explosions didn't look as real (in the originals the were actually blowing models up filmed at high speed and then slowed down in editing) and also the way light played off of models (in Empire most of the large model shots used natural light and you get interesting shadows / occlusion that even a few years ago still couldn't really be replicated via CG)

Also stuff tends to dip into uncanny valley (not even talking about the aliens), it's funny when I watch the CG Clone Wars the space ships and robots all looked great, but they were in the context of a highly stylized design, which is intrinsically not real and yet felt more real. I re-watch Episode I and the ships and robots look a lot more like toys, less "real".

Despite what some people think there were still a lot of practical effects in use for the prequel trilogy, but it just never felt right.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

reminder: Star Wars: The Force Awakens got its own thread once the teaser trailer was released in November 2014...

http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,10457.0.html

Because OH MY JARJAR there are a LOT of threads in this forum with the 2 word phrase "Star Wars"!!!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.