Small form factor PFSENSE HW that can do greater than 1Gig / SFP+ ?

Started by Lazybones, May 29, 2022, 05:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on August 24, 2022, 03:20:18 PMTelus is finally putting in Fiber in my area, probably into my house in the next month. My current NetGate PFSense is GB capable, so hoping that I can get the bi-directional 1g/1g. That should be more than enough for now if it works out.

I may be in your boat in the future though if the NetGate fails or if I wish to expand beyond a 1g plan.

Ya anything over 300mbit is really overkill for home, the lowest / cheapest PureFibre option (in my area) is 75/75, makes no sense to go down when they will promo the faster speeds. I probably won't even upgrade past my current 1G plan unless they force it via promo. My Edgerouter however is getting quite old so if I MUST replace it I might as well future proof it.

$75 75/75
$85 300/300
$89 1G/1G

Thorin

Well, it's priced that way because they assume you won't be keeping sustained 1Gbps speeds on it all month.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on August 24, 2022, 04:21:01 PMWell, it's priced that way because they assume you won't be keeping sustained 1Gbps speeds on it all month.
Hold my beer? :P
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 24, 2022, 04:21:01 PMWell, it's priced that way because they assume you won't be keeping sustained 1Gbps speeds on it all month.

The bandwidth cap normally takes care of that, that is an extra $5/mo to get unlimited most of the time.

Quote from: Melbosa on August 25, 2022, 02:24:07 AMHold my beer? :P

At those speeds it is easy to run out of storage in a few days LOL..

Tom

People keep saying X speed is overkill! I disagree! I have little patience and often have large downloads and/or uploads I need to get done asap. Even if it wasn't for work, I'd still want whatever I'm doing to not take an age.

Telus came by a while back trying to get me to switch, but I'm on a 2yr plan (1G/100M for $99.75) with shaw and the rep wouldn't cover the entire cancellation fee, so I was like "meh", my 1GB/100MiB is "good enough" for now. But if I start /needing/ to upload large files more often I'll have to look into something different. Even Shaw's business plans stop at "up to" 200MB upload for $200/mo. whuf.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Yeah, I like to have the best speeds available at the time whenever I sign up, but I know that trying to keep up with the bleeding edge will cost me money I can't really spare.  So, I try to just be happy with what I have.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quick update on my short list of ideas:

Used HP t740 Thin Client + a low profile PCI card (Starting at about $400 CAD on ebay but coming down again)

R86S (search aliexpress) with 3 2.5gig and 2 10gig SPF+ ports waiting on reviews ($515.38 to $636.96 CAD depending on CPU)

OpenSense DEC740 (about $992.58 CAD too expensive but new and not janky)

Incidentally my 2 year contract offers expired with Telus and I ended up renewing with unlimited 1Gig $80/mo before taxes (no big promos on super fast plans this year)

Still looking at replacing my WiFi later this year so might still update to 2.5G switching in my home and WiFi 6E

Mr. Analog

I mean I'd pay the extra bux instead of having headaches to me that's sooooo worth it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 05, 2022, 08:52:11 AMI mean I'd pay the extra bux instead of having headaches to me that's sooooo worth it

Must be nice not having to pay $400+ a week for groceries :P  But seriously, if I were doing this kind of upgrade, I'd end up going with the more expensive / less headachy solution as well.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

I am taking my time, I tend to keep my network gear till it fails or becomes very obsolete.

If I just target 2.5G Ethernet the firewall/router drops below $400 but I think the SFP+ is going to be way more flexible.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on December 05, 2022, 01:06:05 PMMust be nice not having to pay $400+ a week for groceries :P

That's for sure!  I don't know how you guys do it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

For me, I've moved to Windows 2022, Windows 11, and using SMB Compression, so I think I am way off from needing anything more than 1G internally for a while.

I can't comment on why you are looking at it for higher than 1 GB Network, but for me won't need it for a while.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on December 06, 2022, 11:25:42 AMFor me, I've moved to Windows 2022, Windows 11, and using SMB Compression, so I think I am way off from needing anything more than 1G internally for a while.

I can't comment on why you are looking at it for higher than 1 GB Network, but for me won't need it for a while.

My current gear was over spec for when I purchased it as well:

Router/Firewall: 2016 EdgeRouter lite 1Gib throughput (6 years old and technically still fine for my connection for most things but VPN due to slow CPU)

WiFi 2016: 3 x UAP AC Pro Wifi Units.. Get about 300Mbits through them, technically slower than my 1Gibt internet, nearly all client devices in my house are WiFi connected other than my servers and gaming PC.

So my WiFi is getting close to EOL and my router is VERY old may fail just due to age.

Simply looking to have HW to last another 6 years or so, and to replace it before the current gear fails..

I also don't want to buy NEW gear that only goes as FAST as I can currently use, I want some future head room. Never know if in 6 years we will have VR over fibre or something, or 8k youtube being common.

Melbosa

What about a Netgate 4100 or 6100? More expensive though, but I've owned one for years and solid units.