Vast: The Crystal Caverns

Started by Lazybones, August 01, 2016, 11:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

This looks amazing, so many different roles / ways to play
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Four players, and you play as a knight trying to slay the dragon, a dragon trying to awaken and destroy a village, a goblin horde trying to stop the knight, and a self-aware cavern/catacomb trying to cave in and destroy the dragon+goblins+knight.

That's definitely different!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 02, 2016, 09:38:47 AM
Four players, and you play as a knight trying to slay the dragon, a dragon trying to awaken and destroy a village, a goblin horde trying to stop the knight, and a self-aware cavern/catacomb trying to cave in and destroy the dragon+goblins+knight.

That's definitely different!

One to five players, there is a thief as well.

Lazybones

The thief is immortal and trying to collect crystals / treasure from the cave to cure is immortality. 

In other words he runs counter to the treasures for everyone but is immortal, he is  expected to die often until he succeeds.

Lazybones

FYI I backed the second printing of this game and received it today.  Looks like I have some studying todo. Also as part of the second printing I should get a more detailed figure set in the summer.

Didn't back for all of the expiations as they added a number of additional crazy roles and there is more in the base game than I think I will get though for a long time.

Darren Dirt

On topic with this kind of genre, I saw a game at WEM and looked up BoardGameGeek and thinking of buying it to play with you guys AND my kids too.

Above And Below

If you havent heard of it dont look it up to spoil things. Some storytelling aspect and some building but nothing super strategy-heavy aka a bit of luck dependent... but that's a good thing for casual gamong :)

If you have heard of it did you buy it yourself or played it yet? Thoughts?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Went thought the box last night, lots of first time plucking of cardboard lol.

Also had to grab ziplock bags for all the rolls as each roll has cards/tokens/etc. Probably need to re-organize it.

I think the first few plays are going to be a challenged but they include the individual rolls rules on separate sheets as well as the main rule book.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

I watched a few plays of it and really like the idea.

Can be played essentially solo against the dice and odds but scales up to 5 or more.

I am really interested in the asymmetric aspect. Each character/ roll has a different goal.. It is really a rock paper scissors type setup.. If you play as a different roll your experiance is very different right down to the the TYPE of game you are playing.. IE some characters are more chance based and others are more obstetrical based etc.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 11, 2017, 09:46:00 AM
some characters are more chance based and others are more obstetrical based etc.

Like...? Having babies, obstetrical?

It sounds kinda neat, I like asymmetrical games where different playstyles (if balanced) can compete
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Obstacles, if you play as the cave you are trying to essentially trap and kill everyone.

Melbosa

Man 401games.ca is going to bankrupt me: http://store.401games.ca/catalog/8049938/vast-the-crystal-caverns (of course this is original print).  I'll probably pick up the second print when it is released for general public.

Melbosa

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on April 12, 2017, 04:32:34 PM
Man 401games.ca is going to bankrupt me: http://store.401games.ca/catalog/8049938/vast-the-crystal-caverns (of course this is original print).  I'll probably pick up the second print when it is released for general public.

You are doing the lord's work, son. Thanks in advance for when we play this :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 01, 2018, 10:49:25 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on April 12, 2017, 04:32:34 PM

You are doing the lord's work, son. Thanks in advance for when we play this :)

I own VTCC and I have backed VTMM.