D&D/D20 Modern schedule

Started by Thorin, September 24, 2007, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Nobody but Mr. Analog answered the thread in D20 Modern about scheduling.  Mr. Analog indicated he prefers getting together every second weekend, and alternating between D&D and D20 Modern.  So here's my suggestion to make it easy to figure out what days we're playing on:

1. We play Friday nights
2. We meet every second Friday
3. We set a schedule right up until our regular break time
4. If the Friday starts a long weekend, push to the next Friday and adjust the whole schedule
OR
4. If the Friday starts a long weekend, push to the next Friday and don't adjust the whole schedule

Examples:

Adjust Whole Schedule (15 sessions until end of May)

• Oct 12 (Oct 5 is Thanksgiving long weekend)
  • Oct 26
  • Nov 9
  • Nov 23
  • Dec 28 (Dec 21 is Christmas long weekend)
  • Jan 11
  • Jan 25
  • Feb 8
  • Feb 22
  • Mar 7
  • Mar 28 (Mar 21 is Good Friday long weekend)
  • Apr 11
  • Apr 25
  • May 9
  • May 23

Don't Adjust Whole Schedule (18 sessions until end of May)

• Oct 12 (Oct 5 is Thanksgiving long weekend)
  • Oct 19
  • Nov 2
  • Nov 16
  • Nov 30
  • Dec 14
  • Dec 28
  • Jan 11
  • Jan 25
  • Feb 8
  • Feb 22
  • Mar 7
  • Mar 28 (Mar 21 is Good Friday long weekend)
  • Apr 4
  • Apr 18
  • May 2
  • May 16
  • May 30

I prefer the second example; more sessions and not as many three-week gaps.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tonnica

I like the second example with two back-to-back D&D or D20 Modern sessions. The time between D&D and D20 games will be greater when we hit the break for each, but I figure we can get a bit more cohesive with the narritive across the back-to-back sessions.

Mr. Analog

I like the alternating method myself, gives each DM two weeks to gear up content and every other session we get to play.

I also think we should play on the Friday before Thanksgiving this time. Anyone disagree?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Alternating would give us four weeks each.  I think I'm able to play on the Friday of the Thanksgiving weekend, but I will have to talk it over with my Significant Other.  I'm not sure what our plans are yet for that weekend.  People who leave town to visit family might not be able to, depending on if they're driving Saturday morning...

Any input, Melbosa, Tom, Ustauk?

From some discussion in the office here, I think the second sample schedule is preferred (as it has more sessions), but Dec 28 is a no-go simply because it falls between Christmas and New Year's.  That'd still leave 17 sessions.

There's also the thought of pick-up sessions; that is, sessions that are not on the official schedule but that we check to see if everyone's available and if they are and the DM/GM is ready to go, play anyway.  For instance, I have so many D20 Modern thoughts running through my head right now that I could easily pop off another session this Friday or Saturday :)

We even talked about weeknight sessions.  If we start playing at 6 and stop playing at 10, everyone'd be home by 11(ish).  But some or all of you might already have stuff to do on weeknights, so I'm not sure if that'd work for anyone.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Sorry was away all weekend from a computer to post to.  Was doing contract work.

I like the double up from a player perspective, so 2 DnD, 2 D20 Mod if we aren't doing the break thing (easier to keep stories strait).  If break thing, 1 DnD, 1 D20 Mod, 1 break, wash and repeat works too.

As for pickups, not likely with me being able to make it.  Weekends are usually booked, as was this last weekend.

As for playing Thanksgiving weekend, I thought we were, and hope we still are, cause I am busy Oct 12th.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on September 24, 2007, 02:31:18 PM
I like the double up from a player perspective, so 2 DnD, 2 D20 Mod if we aren't doing the break thing (easier to keep stories strait).

Mr. Analog's one of the DMs and thus carries a lot of power on deciding the schedule and doesn't want to do two sessions of the same game in a row.

Weekends are usually booked, as was this last weekend.

So would a regular schedule planned all the way to the end of May help you be able to attend?  What about pick-up games on weeknights (that obviously end a lot earlier)?

As for playing Thanksgiving weekend, I thought we were, and hope we still are, cause I am busy Oct 12th.

You and Mr. Analog are both planning on it.  I should be able to play, just gotta check the calendar before I commit.  Haven't heard from Tom or Ustauk yet.  But that's, really, a thread for the D&D sub-forum.  This thread is all about planning a schedule for the next several months.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm certainly open to suggestions but I think doing one after the other evens things out...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

My preference is to alternate campaigns and option to 2 to bump a session to the weekend after a long weekend.  As of now, I believe I can make the Thanksgiving long weekend session.  It helps to know the schedule ahead of time so you can book around it, so I prefer it remain static without random pickup games.

Mr. Analog

Good good!

Sounds good so far guys...
By Grabthar's Hammer

CowGirl

I like the 1st schedule better, cause you don't play on my birthday! HEEHEE :P
i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Thorin

It'd be a D20 Modern game, so I would just bump it a week, honey.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Which ever is picked, get it set in stone now, so everyone can schedule it :)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 24, 2007, 11:21:37 PM
Which ever is picked, get it set in stone now, so everyone can schedule it :)

By taking a position you help solidify that. Please choose what fits best for you.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Schedule set in stone (unless DM/GM changes it):

• Oct 5: D&D
  • Oct 19: D20 Modern
  • Nov 2: D&D
  • Nov 23: D20 Modern
  • Nov 30: D&D
  • Dec 14: D20 Modern
  • Jan 4: D&D
  • Jan 18: D20 Modern
  • Feb 1: D&D
  • Feb 22: D20 Modern (bumped from Feb 15 - Alberta Day long weekend)
  • Feb 29: D&D
  • Mar 14: D20 Modern
  • Mar 28: D&D
  • Apr 11: D20 Modern
  • Apr 25: D&D
  • May 2: D20 Modern
  • May 23: D&D (bumped from May 16 - Victoria Day long weekend)
  • May 30: D20 Modern
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer