Differences between D&D 3.5 and D20 Modern

Started by Thorin, October 19, 2007, 12:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

This fella has summed up nicely the differences between D&D 3.5 and D20 Modern.  Quite handy if you've played D&D for years and are just switching over to D20 Modern:

http://www.theharem.net/Star*Forge/d20%20Modern%20vs%20D&D.html

[Mod: Fixed Link]
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

That's a pretty succinct summary, I'm actually thinking about adding Action Points to D&D, I think it might add an element of fun!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Action Points would rock in D&D!  The Eberron Campaign Setting first introduced them, but in Eberron you can actually stockpile them from level to level (meaning if you don't use them all one level, they carry over to the next) whereas in D20 Modern they don't stockpile (meaning if you don't use them all one level, they're gone).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 20, 2007, 09:35:10 AM
Action Points would rock in D&D!  The Eberron Campaign Setting first introduced them, but in Eberron you can actually stockpile them from level to level (meaning if you don't use them all one level, they carry over to the next) whereas in D20 Modern they don't stockpile (meaning if you don't use them all one level, they're gone).

I prefer the d20 method of use 'em or lose 'em, what say ye?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I'm really humming and hahhing over which is better...  Use 'Em Or Lose 'Em leads to them getting used more often but less per encounter (fight, skill use, whatever).  Use 'Em Or Save 'Em leads to them getting used less often but more per encounter when the encounter is viewed as very important by the players.

I'd vote Use 'Em Or Lose 'Em, I think, just because having a pool of 20+ Action Points coming into that battle at 4th level may require the DM to overpower the battle just in case characters use all their Action Points...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quotebecause having a pool of 20+ Action Points coming into that battle at 4th level may require the DM to overpower the battle just in case characters use all their Action Points...
Then again the players will want to use them all in anticipation of the DM anticipating the players using them all... heh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

TheDruid

Force Points / Dark Side Points in StarWarsRPG seem to be loosly ralated to action points.

Force Points grant one-time bonuses to dice rolls, or can be used to eliminate dark side points (which have negative effects if enough are collected). If your a “force using class” they grant more then just dice bonuses.
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

TheDruid

Wow lots of simularities in the Skills. SW-RPG also has computer-use, treat injury, demolitions etc... I guess its to be expected from the modern setting.

Combat: Auto Fire - yup got that too, except for our `burst shoot` is called multi shoot
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Thorin

Yeah, it's all built off the same family.  I'm guess D&D 4 might incorporate quite a bit of what they learned from D20 Modern/Future/Past and D20 Star Wars (base/advanced classes, action points).  Six more months or so before we find out...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tonnica

This is a great article - I've read it over a few times and each time I come away with a little more. As well the article has a handy link to the Wizards site that has .RTF exerpts from the D20 Modern handbook.

I really like the use-'em-or-lose-'em nature of Action Points in D20 Modern. Knowing that the points aren't stockpiled means I'll always be looking forward to a fresh set of points every level-up. No need to hold back, just pick the bonus or Talent to use wisely and go for it. After all, dramatic or intense moments aren't limited to the "big" monster or boss-type battles. You never know when you might need that extra d6 to try and keep someone from falling, or that Talent so you can handle the fight against that surprisingly tricksy rampaging science experiment.

(while typing this I'm imagining a gelatenous cube with a purple troll in the center like some demented jell-o brick with a grape in it)

Melbosa

Action Point Usage: Another example is against that animated dead when you have only 1 hp left and only level one.  Makes you feel really super to land that killing blow, and survive!!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!