Testing d20Pro Virtual Tabletop Tuesday Night

Started by Thorin, June 05, 2009, 03:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Who would like to help test the d20Pro Virtual Tabletop on Tuesday night?  I will DM, using a downloaded adventure with sample characters to try it out.  I'm interested in how you like/dislike the interface, and whether using a Virtual Tabletop is something you'd consider if we can't do regular get-togethers.

If you want to help test you'll need to download d20Pro and get a trial license:

http://www.d20pro.com/downloads.php

Since it's online, anyone is welcome to join (lookin' at you, Lay-Z!)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Thorin

I was thinking 8pm to 10:30pm MDT.  I figure that way Lay-Z might be able to join us, as for him it'd be 7pm to 9:30pm PDT.

Of course, I'm making an assumption that he'd be interested, but that's based on him actually starting this whole Virtual Tabletop idea with his iTabletop thread :P
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

I have added it to my calendar. I will have to check the software out.

Lazybones

Since doesn't look like this product includes voice or video.. Guess we will have to conference phone, or use another product to do voice and video. I was going to suggest Skype, but I don't think it runs under Linux (for tom).

Thorin

Yeah, my first test would be sans voice/video.  There's a chat window built in, although part of the test is how usable said chat window would be...

Then, if the idea of sitting behind a computer to play D&D with friends appeals to us and the tool works for us as a tabletop, we can look at videoconferencing software.  I'll be honest, I'm not averse to chat-only online D&D if that's all we can find to work for us - chat-only online D&D is still better than no D&D.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Well I have the software loaded on my MacBook now, not much to see without a game built but I guess I am ready.

Looks like the GM/DM/Judge will have to forward the port for external gamers to be able to connect.

Tom

QuoteI was going to suggest Skype, but I don't think it runs under Linux (for tom).
I think there's a linux version actually. But since we can all probably setup SIP software it'd be easy enough to use that. I'd just need a headset or something.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on June 07, 2009, 08:10:31 PM
QuoteI was going to suggest Skype, but I don't think it runs under Linux (for tom).
I think there's a linux version actually. But since we can all probably setup SIP software it'd be easy enough to use that. I'd just need a headset or something.

When you find a free SIP client for (linux/windows/mac) that does video/video and voice as well as easy plug and play setup you give me a call.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on June 07, 2009, 08:34:32 PM
Quote from: Tom on June 07, 2009, 08:10:31 PM

When you find a free SIP client for (linux/windows/mac) that does video/video and voice as well as easy plug and play setup you give me a call.
Au contraire, you give me a call. 2001@tomasu.org  see if it works. use 2002@tomasu.org as your userid/whatever. I setup proper DNS records for it according to the FAQs I was looking at, so anyone calling in should be able to get through. might also need to set your outgoing proxy to tomasu.org as well. Not sure.

As for fully crossplatform client, No idea. but kphone and ekiga seem to work ok for me.

edit: I've heard good things about SJPhone: http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

Melbosa

So I'm confused... how are we setting up the Video/Audio?  SIP or Phone?

Thorin

I'll be ready to start at 8:30pm.  Got a birthday party for my youngest going on in the evening, but he has to be in bed by 8:30 so I figure everyone will have left by then.

I will make sure my ports are forwarded correctly, and I will pass out connection information as soon as I know it (it's gonna be cenek.dyndns.org, that's for sure).

As for video/audio, lets deal with that later.  For now, lets just use the text chat built into the d20Pro client.  Who knows, maybe we don't like online tabletop gaming and we don't proceed on it OR we find that chat-based is just fine OR we eventually find a really good video- or teleconferencing method (anyone know anything about Ventrilo?).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 08, 2009, 08:36:53 AM
(anyone know anything about Ventrilo?).

I've used it in MMOs.  Also used Team Speak as well.  They work ok, but only one person can really talk at once.

Tom

for some reason I thought this was today :o ah well. I should pay closer attention.