Main Menu

Munchkin

Started by Tom, February 07, 2011, 01:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I think some of you might get a kick out of this ;D

You think we'd play more often if it were something like this?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Actually that sounds kinda hilarious
By Grabthar's Hammer

Stewie521

OMG! Munchkin is AMAZING! There is one card called "The Chainsaw of the Gods", I believe what it is called...

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Funny thing is that I  linked to the RPG hand books for Munchkin http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php?topic=4130.0 when we where all playing dnd and nun of us clued in that there where card games and board games.

I picked up the basic "Munchkin" card game set today; I know a few people around here that where interested in DND but have no time... I suspect that applies to everyone on this board. The card game is designed to play out in about 1hour, unless you play with the epic rules.

FYI Munchkin (card game) and Munchkin Quest (board game) cards and expansions are not compatible... It wasn't obvious to me when I looked at it in the store.

Lazybones

Not that the directions are overly long, but here is a set of youtube videos that explain the game and run through an example mock game
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=913576A8451E0041

Lazybones

FYI have had a chance to play a few games now and it is a lot of fun... the first few games go slow but once everyone starts backstabbing each other to prevent them from winning it is a blast.

Bixby

If you like this genre of game, you would probably enjoy Cutthroat Caverns
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28259/cutthroat-caverns

A bit less "punny" and lots of opportunity for backstabbing goodness. :)

Melbosa

Bixby!  Haven't seen you in a while... how are things?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

OMG WHY ARE YOU NOT ALL PLAYING MUNCHKIN!

lol, yes I am digging this one up..

So I had a chance to play with a different themed base set plus expansion cards last night (Munchkin Cthulhu) and learned some things:

1. The different theme makes the game fresh, and new cards are fun and surprising.
2. Base set play the same accept for some theme specific cards / rules.
3. Not knowing the theme well makes the game less funny but still very fun.
4. The expansion dungeon cards make the game insane with modifiers at times
5. I now want to go purchase a bunch of expansions for my base set... especially the dungeon set.

Also having played a fair bit now I can say that games run between 1hr and up to 3 (in really bad cases)... depending on backstabbing setbacks and if you are using dungeon cards (they tend to screw everyone over).

Mr. Analog

...Minecraft, WarMachine, D&D, console games...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 26, 2012, 09:47:22 AM
...Minecraft, WarMachine, D&D, console games...

Other than console games I think munchkin has the best people to time needed ratio. ;)

Even with a noob showing up each time (we have a published meetup) we still manage to get through a game in about 2hrs on average (once people have actually arrived and we start that is)..

Thorin

to continue Mr. A's list

...kids' activities, work, general brain-fried-ness, drinking...

But seriously, I do know that Munchkin is a fun game.  I also know that Axis & Allies and Memoir 44 are fun games, yet I never have both time _and_ people around (maybe one, maybe the other, but never both).

Cool that you have published meetups to get people together.  I take it you've instituted a weekly game night or somesuch to make sure you have time for it?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 26, 2012, 09:58:56 AM
to continue Mr. A's list

...kids' activities, work, general brain-fried-ness, drinking...

But seriously, I do know that Munchkin is a fun game.  I also know that Axis & Allies and Memoir 44 are fun games, yet I never have both time _and_ people around (maybe one, maybe the other, but never both).

Cool that you have published meetups to get people together.  I take it you've instituted a weekly game night or somesuch to make sure you have time for it?

Yes, since we don't really have a large social circle here we use meetups to meet new people. FYI this is one of the scheduled time items that I stated would detract from playing minecraft. We do pot lucks, board game nights, and munchkin. I get to play munchkin about once a month at the moment. Its a fun way to meet people..

Funny thing is that nearly ALL of our initial munchkin players had never played DND (thus don't get the in jokes) but just like games in general and found munchkin fun and easy to play.

FYI kid wise having other parents bring their kids over tends to keep the kids occupied so the adults can play games... there seems to be a critical mass trick with kids entertaining them selves... you need the right activities for them and the right age mix.

Thorin

Funny how "critical mass" describes both what's required to keep a nuclear reaction going by itself and to keep kids playing by themselves.

Having them bring over their kids is a good idea.  And with card games, you can put the cards down and go deal with the kids if needed.  Can't do that with D&D as easily (and D&D can easily go too long for kids), and with a game like Axis & Allies you're too worried about the rugrats upsetting the board.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful