IPAD-MINI -- confused about what it actually IS?

Started by Darren Dirt, November 05, 2012, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I think Apple is struggling with an identity crisis, let alone their products.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Other than screen resolution it actually compares very favorably vs 7inch tablets it is meant to compete with.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 05, 2012, 04:47:15 PM
Other than screen resolution it actually compares very favorably vs 7inch tablets it is meant to compete with.
It's a decent little 8" tablet (7.8"). Though it seems to be more optimized for web (and compatibility I think) than video I think (4:3 vs 16:9).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 05, 2012, 05:08:06 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on November 05, 2012, 04:47:15 PM
It's a decent little 8" tablet (7.8"). Though it seems to be more optimized for web (and compatibility I think) than video I think (4:3 vs 16:9).

Based on the parody videos, my impression is that folks feel that it is laughable compared to other *Apple* products.

Thorin

Well, or competitors are doing a good job making parody videos that show the device in a poor light and convincing us that it's not the competitors making the videos.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

...and I thought that *I* was supposed to be the forum's resident Conspiracy Guy ;)

Thorin

What can I say, I've read too many Shadowrun novels.  It's always some evil megacorporation using shadowrunners to make competing megacorps look bad. :)

There have been so many viral marketing campaigns that try to make it look like it's just ordinary people promoting a product, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a viral marketing anti-campaign.  And if it is, lots of people have jumped on the bandwagon.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2012, 10:01:35 AM
What can I say, I've read too many Shadowrun novels.  It's always some evil megacorporation using shadowrunners to make competing megacorps look bad. :)

There have been so many viral marketing campaigns that try to make it look like it's just ordinary people promoting a product, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a viral marketing anti-campaign.  And if it is, lots of people have jumped on the bandwagon.
I honestly don't think google's marketing department is that organized. MS's might be.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2012, 10:23:08 AM
Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2012, 10:01:35 AM

I honestly don't think google's marketing department is that organized. MS's might be.

My bet is on Samsung, they already run smear ads

Tom

I'm just not a fan of apple myself. I'm getting a Nexus 4. And may get a Nexus 10. I really like the specs, and the Nexus 4 looks pretty fricken sweet. Bunch of reports on the LG Optimus G have come out (which is what the nexus 4 is based on) and its very competitive with the Samsungs, and Apples. It's also very pretty. Some of the new phones have gotten this fat round look, which isn't too appealing, but the industrial slab look of the LG is pretty. And the Nexus 10 is essentially an upgraded Samsung Galaxy Tab II 10.1 (or maybe closer to the 10.1N).

Mr. Analog

I don't even know what to get anymore, seems like a lot of phones coming out at the same time.

I guess as long as it runs Android fairly well I'm happy
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'm sticking with Nexus devices. I don't want to deal with custom interfaces and bloat ware. and I want updates more than a year after the device is first released. My Nexus S got JB. And it was released 22 months ago. No joke. Find that kind of support with /any/ other android (and likely W8) phone. I dare you.

Thorin

Wait, are we talking about smartphones or tablets here?  Although yeah, they're pretty similar these days.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2012, 02:10:17 PM
Wait, are we talking about smartphones or tablets here?  Although yeah, they're pretty similar these days.
Technically this thread is about the IPad-Mini. I just thought I'd share my view points and preferences. :) I already have a Nexus 7, so that should tell you what 7" tablet I'll be using ;)