Flash free speed test speedof.me

Started by Lazybones, October 21, 2015, 11:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Wanted to do a quick speed test from a server today and found http://speedof.me/

Thorin

Seems to work pretty good, that it doesn't use Flash is really nice.

Also, I'm on Shaw Broadband 50 (50Mbps down, 3Mbps up) but I seem to be getting Internet 60 speeds (60Mbps down, 3Mbps up).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Works on mobile as well however it slows my whole phone down.  Time to upgrade.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on October 21, 2015, 11:41:39 AM
Wanted to do a quick speed test from a server today and found http://speedof.me/

Very nice, and definitely unique in the way it does it multiple increasing-size cycles. (9 passes, starting with a 128kb chunk, then doubling each time until the final pass is a 9mb chunk.)

Also... more than just a "overall speed tester"...

SpeedOf.Me API, the first and only speed test API, allows you to measure your users' connection speed.

Without having to host a SpeedOfMe software on your server, you are now able to run a SpeedOf.Me speed test right from your website or app. It is a JavaScript speed test API which allows you to measure download speed, upload speed, latency and jitter of the client. This means you can:

Create your own speed test service!
Collect statistical information and benchmark the bandwidth of your users
Decide what audio/video streaming quality is suitable for the client
Tell the user how long it exactly takes to download/upload a specific file
Integrate it in your Internet connected hardware/equipment
And more...

8)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

PS: I just connected to my home laptop via Chrome Remote Desktop and @ SpeedOf.Me I ran the test -- twice -- and got approx. 14.65Mbps (2.61Mbps up) ... which is very strange because right after I checked SpeedTest.Net (maybe the fact that I am connected remotely slowed me down?) and got my expected 34.15Mbps (2.72Mbps up) #confused

still pretty sweet though. Will try tonight at home directly to double-check maybe there was something major lagging that only impacted the HTML5 code but not the Flash code...

Lazybones

Could be many factors, haven't tested it to much but location of servers and the browser you use might be a factor.

Getting reliable speed test data is actually fairly hard.

Tom

I tested it here, and i got like 50mbps or less.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Tom, it does say "stop all internet activity" above the Start Test... button.  Maybe you have downloads going?

The other choice (since you're with Shaw) is the Shaw speed test: http://speedtest.shaw.ca/
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 21, 2015, 06:08:50 PM
Tom, it does say "stop all internet activity" above the Start Test... button.  Maybe you have downloads going?

The other choice (since you're with Shaw) is the Shaw speed test: http://speedtest.shaw.ca/
Speedtest.net is usually fine. It just gave me 109mbps... So I think it's the site. It never seems to go over 50mbps. Like 47, 48, and i think it hit 49 once...

Mr. Analog

Flash based speed tests are notoriously bad, here's an alternative:
http://testmy.net/upload
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on October 21, 2015, 06:13:16 PM
Quote from: Thorin on October 21, 2015, 06:08:50 PM

Speedtest.net is usually fine. It just gave me 109mbps... So I think it's the site. It never seems to go over 50mbps. Like 47, 48, and i think it hit 49 once...

Sorry to poke a pin in that theory - my posted screenshot shows it going over 50Mbps.

Still, if speedtest.net is showing the full speed but speedof.me isn't, hmm, weird.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

How close you are to the test servers makes a huge difference speediest.net has a huge network.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 22, 2015, 12:13:06 AM
How close you are to the test servers makes a huge difference speediest.net has a huge network.
Also depends on your local ISPs and stuff.

I used speedtest.net in the Philippines. local speedtest.net servers were /slower/ than the edmonton ones. No joke. I have a feeling that it had to do with connections between ISPs in the Philippines, between cities, and other complex network management stuff... Also, the ISPs there are pretty @%&#ty. Especially the wireless carriers, and Sky Cable. I never got to try their one DSL carrier, because they wanted a two year contract, or a full year payment in advance. I was like nope.

Mr. Analog

I should have linked to the root page:
http://testmy.net/

And some more information because I feel you should look into this service as an alternative to the speed test services you currently use

QuoteWhat makes TestMy.net Different?

TestMy.net will provide you with real-world broadband speed test results in real-world conditions. We stand for the consumer not the ISP so TestMy does not inflate scores to make your provider look better than they are or host our test servers on the edge of ISP networks. Our speed test servers are configured to maintain quality of service for thousands of miles and are hosted in locations where many popular websites are hosted. We believe this is a more accurate representation of your true speed. Most Internet consumers don't think about the Internet service providers responsibility in peering beyond their own network. Many Internet providers send users to their own internally hosted connection test. When you surf the net, how often are you visiting a server within your hosts network?

If you notice the 'TiP' or Test in Progress data on all TestMy.net download test results you'll realize that numbers can easily be altered without lying. It is common practice among other speed tests to calculate the result based on incomplete information. Other speed tests showing the maximum speed or average speeds can be HIGHLY deceiving, even experienced technicians can be tricked. The fact is, if the information used to calculate the result is altered... the result is null. The final score presented to you by TestMy.net takes everything into account, from start to finish. Nothing is altered. The 'TiP' data is also shown so you can interpret the results the way you want. Remember, TestMy.net is a third party and has no vested interest in your test results. Your ISP can't say that.

As a disclaimer I found this site through an optimization guide for OBS
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

That's actually a really good "what makes us different" blurb. Gets ya thinking. And kinda explains why maybe SpeedTest.net always seems to have higher numbers vs. the new SpeedOf.Me we all just tried out (and others, presumably).

...It's all a scam! I'm going back to pencil and paper and over-the-air TV! /OldManWalksAwayGrumbling