Weird Headline

Started by Thorin, October 04, 2012, 11:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Okay, so I was perusing a bit of news and then came across a story about an explosion at a chemical plant in Japan, and how that explosion could cause a ... diaper shortage?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/29/14154759-chemical-plant-explosions-in-japan-kill-one-may-cripple-global-diaper-output

Turns out this one chemical plant creates a resin used in disposable diapers, and this one chemical plant generates 20% of the world's output of this resin, and the other plants that make this resin are all at full operating capacity.

Now, this doesn't just affect families with young babies, this also affects families with elderly members.  We start in diapers and we end in diapers.  Can you imagine going to Walmart et al for Huggies or Depends and finding the shelves empty and the employees saying the next shipment won't be for another week?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Well this is like when a natural disaster hits all the same semiconductor factories in SE Asia or when the few reactors that produce medical isotopes go offline for extended periods that the weakness in consolidating production becomes apparent.

I mean it makes sense to a degree, most business isn't designed with redundancy in mind (unless it's absolutely necessary).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah but, did you really think diapers would be affected by a single chemical plant closing?  Most people don't connect chemicals and diapers...  And this is a single factory, whereas those other examples had at least a few production sites offline at the same time.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I guess that's why it's news haha :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

All I know is if I had kids under 2 or parents over 80, I'd be stocking up on diapers survival-nut-style right now...

Although I guess we could just put cloth diapers on grandma?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Or just poop while we walk, like the animals.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Hmm maybe I need to make a trip to costco?

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 04, 2012, 11:24:23 PM
Hmm maybe I need to make a trip to costco?
get tam into cloth diapers?

Nah, that probably wouldn't go very well.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!