Apple...........OWNED

Started by Shayne, March 15, 2005, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Thorin"
Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Not anymore, the code we got back was garbage from both India and Russia
India I knew about.  We outsourced to Russia?

Amazing what you find out on the forums :)
Yeah, before you started I think...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

*stands guard at gateway of thread to prevent reentrance of citizens of Politicallycorrectia*

Seriously, episode #2 of "The Office" covered the issue of "diversity" (in the workplace, the capital city of "The Republic of Litigation") and the diversity coach guy actually pointed out that it is not helpful for people to pretend there aren't differences. There are. It's fair to say that when a product is made overseas, and translated into English, it may have some grammatical problems, if not outright incoherent and painful to interpret (English-->English, who knew?)

But presuming a person's facial blemish is due to some racial makeup (or presuming a race from a person's outward appearance) is neither Canadian, and not "un-Canadian". It's just stupid. Most of us are mature enough to not do that.

Or at least, to be smart enough to preface it with "Apparently, some people believe that..." ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Ustauk

K, here's my two cents.  I don't think Mr. Analog was being stereotypical of people so much as he was making assumptions about businesses in East Asia.  He has experience with badly worded manuals of various products he purchased that were made in East Asia, primarily electronics from the sound of it, and projected that onto the products manual.  In this case, it was an invalid assumption, but one he made based on past data.  

We forget sometimes how diverse a country we are.  If you need a translation of something, odds are we'll be able to find someone to do it.  In a place like, say, Taiwan, the population is much less diverse.  Therefore people with language training are more valuable, and more likely to be snapped up by well to do companies.  The smaller outfits, who are generally competing on smaller margins, may try and cut some corners by using a translation program, or one of their staff members who has a limited knowledge of English, to translate their manuals.  I imagine this might occur the other way too.   Someone might be reading the Chinese translation of a Canadian snowmobile's manual someplace in Northern China, and scratching his head wondering what the hell its trying to say. :)

As to quality of the outsourced code that Mr. Analog referred too, given how stingy his boss is I'd expect he got what he paid for :)  

I respect Mr. Analog's opinion about multiculturalism, but I disagree with it.  I think people should be able to celebrate their cultural heritage as they see fit, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.  I think we're stronger as a nation for having such a diverse cultural and genetic pool to work with.  I'd rather be a mongrel dog then a rottweiler with hip displacia or heart problems from being purbred :)  I admit that most of the power brokers still come from the same ethnic background, but that well change with time as the next generations come on through.

Darren Dirt

Yeah, we're all different, and unlike certain countries we shouldn't be in a "melting pot" concept, where you are afraid to express yourself culturally, individually, creatively.

I'm gonna go dance out by the mountains now...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.