Funny Asian TV Series Names

Started by Darren Dirt, May 06, 2005, 05:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Some of you kids (and you know who you are) have seen lots of anime and stuff with funny names. I need to laugh. Make me laugh. C'mon monkey, dance for me! *fires pistol into ground below feet*

I'll start: Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go

And remember, kids, as Dave Barry says "I'm not making this up" - so include a link.

And remember, kids, if you can't laugh at amusing foreign translations into English, then you're probably not a racist.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

That's ok, I only need one link http://www.engrish.com/

Ok, it doesn't list a bunch of TV Series but it is related to the main topic.

Mr. Analog

When an anime fan (like myself) refers to a show using the Japanese name, that usually means it has a goofy name, for example; One of my all time favourite series is called Urusei Yatsura, which means "Those Obnoxious Aliens", which fits but doesn't really translate all that well. It continues with the character names as well, the main "hero" (or noble letch if you will) is named Ataru Moroboshi, which translated means "hit by a falling star" (which is fitting since he ends up accidentally getting engaged to an invading alien girl), it's kind of a play on words but most people wouldn't bother looking it up.

Dang, now I want to watch some UY! I wonder what I did with all my bootleg cassettes!?!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

QuoteChiro was exploring the outskirts of Shuggazoom City and discovers a giant and abandoned Super Robot.

*cough*Super-Dimensional Fortres MACROSS*cough*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

QuoteUsually when you see so much as a glimpse of a show, you know what your gonna be in for. When I first saw a poster for samuri jack, I thought evil guy/kung fu fight sequences, and I was right. When I first saw a poster for totally spies I thought teenage girls/kung fu fight sequences, and I was right. When I first saw a poster for powerpuff girls I thought worst cartoon ever/kung fu fight sequences, and I was right. When I first saw a poster for super monkey force...whatever (the title is longer than my review) I thought what the hell! And I was right, I mean, there are no such thing as robot monkeys (unfortunatley), no such thing as skeleton monsters, no such thing as teenagers (oh wait a minute), and there are certainly no such things as teenage boys who fight along side a bunch of robotic monkeys, to defeat a skeleton.

But despite it being the weirdest show in the history of TV, it is also the best. And the final irony is...no matter how weird (or original, as you might like to call it) this show is, it hasn't lost the classic formula of a prime time kids show...kung fu fight sequences.
Best. Review. Ever!
By Grabthar's Hammer