Windows Media Player 11 UI

Started by Mr. Analog, December 16, 2006, 07:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, I just ran an update and got an awful shock when Windows Media Player loaded up, the full mode view (to me) is incredibly hard to see and use. Is there any way to skin WMP in full mode back to something that looks readable (i.e. the previous version). I hate to keep flipping back and forth between Windows Media Player and WinAmp every other version but I am experiencing much fury in this new version. I switched back to Windows Media Player back in version 9 because it did everything I wanted rather well now I gotta find something good again  >:(

Additionally, the media library viewer is crap, is there a way to remove the alphabetical grouping and return to the old file list style?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So, I'm switching over to Media Player Classic and ignore WMP until it's good again :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Interesting as I much prefer the new UI (black is sexy).

Anyway, they have a corporate skin that is more of a traditional media player skin

Right click on the header area -> View -> Skin Chooser -> Corporate

As for a new media player, you could check out VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on December 16, 2006, 07:12:39 PM

Anyway, they have a corporate skin that is more of a traditional media player skin

I tried that but when I went back into full mode it went back to the default skin. Thanks for the help and the link, verrrrry interesting. I really liked the last few versions of Media Player they enhanced the library again and again making it fit perfectly into what I needed, now I find it prohibitively hard to use.

Ah well...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on December 16, 2006, 07:12:39 PM

I keep wanting to like VLC particularly since they just did a big UI rewrite but I keep going back to Media Player Classic as it seems more reliable. I keep finding VLC locks up on my system with particular files.

Thorin

Hah, so *that* was the download that didn't succeed when I started up WMP10 at work and it told me there were some updates that needed to be downloaded and installed.  See, I figure an "update" is something that fixes the existing version of an application, not a complete upgrade to the next version.  Sorta glad it didn't work now; I, too, really like how WMP10 looks and feels and works (whereas WMP8 and WMP9 did nothing for me).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I also rolled back the update today.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Hmmmm I particularly like MP11.  I didn't find the changes that dramatic from 10 and I find it just as easy to navigate/use.  But each his/her own.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!