regrets of the dying: "don't be a cog"

Started by Darren Dirt, November 28, 2012, 11:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

(summed up)

http://www.paulgraham.com/todo.html

A palliative care nurse called Bronnie Ware made a list** of the biggest regrets of the dying. Her list seems plausible. I could see myself?can see myself?making at least 4 of these 5 mistakes.

If you had to compress them into a single piece of advice, it might be: don't be a cog. The 5 regrets paint a portrait of post-industrial man, who shrinks himself into a shape that fits his circumstances, then turns dutifully till he stops.

The alarming thing is, the mistakes that produce these regrets are all errors of omission. You forget your dreams, ignore your family, suppress your feelings, neglect your friends, and forget to be happy. Errors of omission are a particularly dangerous type of mistake, because you make them by default.

Ideally you transform your life so it has other defaults. ...So I inverted the 5 regrets, yielding a list of 5 commands:
Don't ignore your dreams
don't work too much
say what you think
cultivate friendships
be happy.

**detailed contents...
Quote from: http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html
When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made.

It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret. But as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.

By simplifying your lifestyle and making conscious choices along the way, it is possible to not need the income that you think you do. And by creating more space in your life, you become happier and more open to new opportunities, ones more suited to your new lifestyle.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.

We cannot control the reactions of others. However, although people may initially react when you change the way you are by speaking honestly, in the end it raises the relationship to a whole new and healthier level. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you win.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary to ever manage this task. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remains in the final weeks, love and relationships.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.

When you are on your deathbed, what others think of you is a long way from your mind. How wonderful to be able to let go and smile again, long before you are dying.

Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 28, 2012, 11:46:58 AM
Sounds like Darren Hates his Job ;)

let's just say that the stuff that I LOVED about my job when I first got here = keep disappearing one by one over the years. #Sad

Now it's a big Transitional Period of tools/technologies to replace existing (working perfectly fine, tyvm) systems; jeepers I sure miss the old days of having lots of Stuff To Build and Challenging Problems to Solve.

tbh paying into a pension now + stability and benefits to keep the 3 kids and wife happy/safe = big factor in why I am still here. I'm a smart guy who can do amazing things when motivated and given the time and freedom; right now it seems that the need for amazing things = virtually gone from here. Hence the Sad.

Mr. Analog

So the justification for working a job you hate is for someone else's happiness?

If you are TRULY okay with that then you need to start making the job you hate into one you love (sit down objectively and figure what you are missing that you need to add).

Or find a job you love that also supports your family.

These things don't have to be at odds with each other.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So the first post is all about how we should follow our dreams instead of sticking in a rut just for paying the bills, then the next post says you are staying in the rut to pay the bills.  There's been a few other posts from you about this same thing, too.  All I can tell you is that I have a pretty low threshold for what will make me switch to a new company - I'm always looking for more dollars per hour worked (not just more dollars, as some places expect you to put in 50% more time for 5% more money) and I'm always looking for better work/life balance.  And I haven't exactly been unsuccessful at supporting my fam-damily.

As far as finding a job one loves, well, every job will have its ups and downs, but some downs are way worse than others.  I like technical challenges even though they frustrate me; so even as I'm frustrated at my current problem, I'll still like the overall job.  I hate asshat managers; it only takes about a week under an asshat before I start looking for a new job.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

I too have struggled with something similar recently, and it took my beautiful wife to open my eyes.  See I wasn't as happy as I figured I should be when at home.  While I was content I wasn't truly happy.  Sure I was spending time with my new Wife just as I have been for the past 4 years of my life, but there was something bothering me that I wasn't aware of.  It wasn't until she asked me one day - "Hun, what few things in life truly make you happy?  Other than me of course!" - my wife likes to throw in self gratification once and a while.  And I sat there and thought about it... what would make me happy right then and there?  I had my loving wife sitting next to me, my own house, a good job (although with its own stressors), good entertainment (we were watching a movie at the time), and social gatherings to come that always put good humour in my day.  So what at that very moment would make me happier?

Well then it hit me.  In my strive to be a good husband, a loving partner and a good friend I had given up one of my passions in life - gaming.  Sure I had my D&D sessions, but really I hadn't touched much gaming in a long time - something I used to do at least once a day before meeting my now wife.  And gaming is one of those things that truly makes me happy.

So expressing this to my wife opened her eyes a bit too.  Now I spend bit of my week gaming at the computer or on the TV, my wife understands and has noticed that I seem happier for it.  This in turn has actually made our lives better as she no longer feels the burden of some of my unhappiness and our relationship is actually stronger I believe because of that. 

A bit heavy but here's my point.  If you can't make your life full of happy times you'll only cause harm to those around you as well as your self.  I didn't even realize how true that was until this happened to me... and over something so trivial.  I can imagine (and you know I can) how it feels to hate the work you are doing and the place you are working in only to get that paycheck at the end of a pay cycle - and I say to you: you deserve to be happy with what you do.  Those that care for you and love you will understand if that means leaving your job and stability to better means.  Or as Mr. Analog says, you can try and make where you work that place that makes you happy with what you do.

Either way, doing it for others at the sacrifice of your own sake will only hurt you all in the end.

My Deep 2C
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I miss D&D but it's my own fault for filling my life with so many other activities.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I miss being able to walk places without fearing for my life...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 28, 2012, 02:43:30 PM

Woah... now I'm scared... where shouldn't I be walking near your place?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on November 28, 2012, 02:53:51 PM

I suspect it's hard enough if you can see, try doing it with your eyes closed.

The worst thing you can do is tense up, but it's hard not to
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on November 28, 2012, 02:26:28 PM
If you can't make your life full of happy times you'll only cause harm to those around you as well as your self.  I didn't even realize how true that was until this happened to me... and over something so trivial.  I can imagine (and you know I can) how it feels to hate the work you are doing and the place you are working in only to get that paycheck at the end of a pay cycle - and I say to you: you deserve to be happy with what you do.  Those that care for you and love you will understand if that means leaving your job and stability to better means.  Or as Mr. Analog says, you can try and make where you work that place that makes you happy with what you do.

Either way, doing it for others at the sacrifice of your own sake will only hurt you all in the end.

My Deep 2C

well put -- fortunately I am mucho happyo in plenty of non-work aspects of my life.

Just been thinking lots about Stage Of Life, what with my oldest looking at post-secondary options, and my 2 girls both finishing up the last year at the "top of the food chain" at their respective schools. And there's nothing terribly "unhappy-inducing" about my current job, it's just that due to "top-level" decisions and restructuring and changes over the years, a lot of the aspects that made this particular section of this organization -- and this particular "job" of mine -- a very unique, exceptional, outside-the-norm work environment at the start of my time here, a majority of those intangibles are gone, including a relatively recent shift in focus of most of the the specific tasks that are on my plate day to day (as I mentioned recently, away from challenging problem-solving, and more to boring and un-creative tasks).

So to be clear: I'm not suffering in un-happy-ness in order to ensure the happiness of others (that time's in the past for me ;) ) ... just reality as a Dad, manning up and taking ownership of my roles and responsibility, means that it's a bit more difficult to just jump around trying to find That Perfect Google-esque Workplace.

And I'm fine with that -- plenty of non-work stuff keeping me happy. (Having friends that clearly care doesn't hurt either!)

...oddly enough, I just skimmed the "five" in my OP, and I think that I was pretty guilty of almost ALL of them a few years ago -- but in the last 18 months I've actually started reaching out and really LIVING and accidentally started doing a whole lot of the "ToDo List" stuff that Paul Graham suggested (other than maybe #5, when it comes to work) ... I guess that explains this weird Happyness stuff. (just miss getting that at work too I guess)

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 28, 2012, 02:54:35 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on November 28, 2012, 02:53:51 PM

I suspect it's hard enough if you can see, try doing it with your eyes closed.

The worst thing you can do is tense up, but it's hard not to

I'm a little confused; are you talking about really icy/snow-covered sidewalks, or gangbangers in the neighbourhood?  I mean, the NSB used to be active out that way...  (North Side Boys).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 28, 2012, 04:23:01 PMSo to be clear: I'm not suffering in un-happy-ness in order to ensure the happiness of others (that time's in the past for me ;) ) ... just reality as a Dad, manning up and taking ownership of my roles and responsibility, means that it's a bit more difficult to just jump around trying to find That Perfect Google-esque Workplace.

And I'm fine with that -- plenty of non-work stuff keeping me happy. (Having friends that clearly care doesn't hurt either!)

Yeah but to be blunt this keeps coming up in your posts, more frequently than not. Being unhappy can start to affect other parts of your life, there's no shame in finding better work to make your life better, you aren't Sisyphus you can change your situation any time you want. Because you have dependents you have to plan it a bit more than some, but who doesn't have responsibilities? I guess why I've been trying to get you to open up about this is because I was in the same spot in 2003, I kept thinking how things weren't that bad and I could just grin and bear it and eventually things would settle down, you know "man up". But the reality was things were so bad that I was in denial and not paying attention to myself or the effects having a @%&#ty job were really taking. It was only when I went beyond the breaking point that, with Lazy's help, I got myself out of that situation. @%&# the "devil you know", there's a big world out there with lots of new and frankly better situations to find yourself in.

Take some friendly advice and fix this part of your life. Its been manifesting itself in your communication for months now and I hate to see someone I know so well trapped in self doubt.

Quote from: Thorin on November 28, 2012, 04:55:14 PMI'm a little confused; are you talking about really icy/snow-covered sidewalks, or gangbangers in the neighbourhood?  I mean, the NSB used to be active out that way...  (North Side Boys).

The crappy sidewalks, NSB hasn't really been a problem for a while, at least not in my neck of the woods.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 28, 2012, 05:25:26 PM
to be blunt this keeps coming up in your posts, more frequently than not. Being unhappy can start to affect other parts of your life ... the reality was things were so bad that I was in denial and not paying attention to myself or the effects having a @%&#ty job were really taking...

Take some friendly advice and fix this part of your life. Its been manifesting itself in your communication for months now and I hate to see someone I know so well trapped in self doubt.

Thanks bro -- like I said, in the past I used to spend a lot of time on certain intellectual pursuits in my free time that didn't do much to add to my happiness because at my job I was able to express my "work" (refer to that previous TED Talk in Poland) whereas now I've been recognizing how important the inter-personal relationship / feelings aspect of life is, and of course keep sharing what I think is profound or helpful -- not because I am in denial about being super-miserable at my job, but maybe more like because the contrast between "job" happiness and "non-job" happiness is so noticeable now (being that much happier in the rest of my life).

However you guys are right, if there's stuff I can do to improve the specifics of my job, I should at least consider the possibility and take action ... and if not, then I'll have to adapt my happiness expectations or else look elsewhere (fearful shudder though -- braces starting in January for my son = ain't cheap...)

ps: I hope from an outsider POV that you guys haven't noticed a signficant decrease in light-hearted posts in the forum by the D-man... to me that would be a sign that maybe I am indeed getting "down" gradually in response to this current area of my life I'm not completely satisfied with.

pps: the "manning up" I mentioned was re. parenthood (and adulthood, really), but again you are correct that I need to "man up" in "defense" of Yours Truly as well, spending one-third of my life (and more than half of my Waking Life) in a work environment that doesn't make me excited to show up = I deserve better. I guess I gotta add this to the "list" of things I plan on taking action on, 2011-2012 have been full of that kind of stuff elsewhere, why not the job situation?

Mr. Analog

Oh yeah, if I seem overly aggressive about this it's because it took a few people (Thorin, Bob, Tom O, etc) to shake me out of my own pit of despair.

At the very least there's no harm in looking at alternatives, seeking new possibilities.

To... boldly go where... No. Man. Hassss

Gone

Before

(hopefully you read that in Kirk's voice)

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 28, 2012, 05:33:02 PMps: I hope from an outsider POV that you guys haven't noticed a signficant decrease in light-hearted posts in the forum by the D-man... to me that would be a sign that maybe I am indeed getting "down" gradually in response to this current area of my life I'm not completely satisfied with.

That's actually pretty much what I'm trying to tell you.

I've known three Darren's since CST:
-Happy Darren who likes Thinking about Stuff and wants to do Interesting Things
-Sad Darren who was going through metric @%&#tons (not to be confused with imperial @%&#tuns) of Life Stuff that no one should have to Go Through
-Denial Darren who is self-deprecating and semi-consciously focusing on the Negative and placing Limitations on himself that aren't there (not the Darren I know anyway)

Just my two cents, I'm not the most observant person (well, unless it's boobs)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

NSB used to claim that ravine right behind your house as entirely their territory for bush parties or whatever they wanted to do back in the early 90s, Mr. A.  And I don't remember doing much to help you out of that funk, other than commiserating with what a horrible place it was to work at and how we should move on.

I think the trick is to always keep one eye open for new possibilities, new jobs being advertised.  That way when you start getting bored of the current job you know what's being sought after and you know who to talk to.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 28, 2012, 05:39:16 PM
Just my two cents, I'm not the most observant person (well, unless it's boobs)

True story: When I first met Mr. A. he told me he was blind, but I couldn't tell if his tone was serious or if he was pulling my leg (still looking at a monitor all day, after all).  Then he told me his condition, I looked it up, and then understood it.  So a couple of days later we're at HMV lookin for music and a lady walks in with a large pair of breasts.  She was on the far end of the store.  He definitely saw them.

Oh, and Darren, if you're happy, why do you keep posting about what to do to get / be happy?  I think that's what's confusing us.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Occasionally they still send the Fun Patrol down there but from what I gather things are fairly different in the ravine. The only problem we had for a while was drug dealers in the construction sites.

As for help, yeah, let's just say if I was listening to other people I would have stuck in longer (and who knows what kind of damage I would have done to myself had that gone on). Leaving was tough but as soon as I was out well, I've said it before but you sometimes know you're in a circus but you don't see how big the tent is until you're outside it...

And to be fair, those were pretty big boobs in a red top... if it had been green/blue I probably wouldn't have noticed hahah
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Thought provoking thread is thought provoking.

Sincerely,
Darren  'always trying to figure things out, never enough, never satisfied... maybe never trusting that good times will last?' Dirt.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 28, 2012, 05:50:58 PM
Oh, and Darren, if you're happy, why do you keep posting about what to do to get / be happy?  I think that's what's confusing us.

5 years ago I posted a thread in this forum, psychologist says "happiness can be downright depressing".
Not earlier this year. *5* years ago.
http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,5065.msg68288.html#msg68288

huh.

Mr. Analog

I'm sorry this is still on your mind.

The frequency of such posts was more noticeable this year I guess.

Then again the frequency of ALL posts was noticeable this year.

Which is good, I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm a lot less stressed out which usually means I have time to think and post and whatever.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well, there were a lot of Minecraft posts.  A year later, some of us are still playing it.  That sure helped the post count.  Even without the Minecraft posts, though, there were still a decent number of new threads started on here, especially given how much of the "check out this article" posts have moved to Twitter and/or Facebook.

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 28, 2012, 02:54:58 PM
Quote from: Thorin on November 28, 2012, 05:50:58 PM

5 years ago I posted a thread in this forum, psychologist says "happiness can be downright depressing".
Not earlier this year. *5* years ago.
http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,5065.msg68288.html#msg68288

huh.

I'm confused.  Are you implying you were happy five years ago, or that you haven't been happy for five years, or that you were happy five years ago but now aren't, or that you were not happy five years ago but now are, or that you don't want to be happy because happiness is depressing, or that you're happy but you're depressed because of it?

Sorry, I see you pointing out thing A (the quote) and thing B (the old thread) but I don't know what implication I'm supposed to infer from you pointing out those two things.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Darren Dirt

it just seems like stuff like this...
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2012/12/train-brain-happy/
...has always been both intellectually stimulating (to my "rational mind") as well as hope-inspiring (to my "emotional mind"). Some tough challenges this past week have helped me realize that there's definitely some core crap that's behind this drive on the issue of happiness, not just feeling* happy, but truly BEING happy and having the "feeling" being a natural result.

Fun getting old and no longer willing to settle for a satisfactory life, but wanting to reach out to a truly abundant one...

*although apparently the "feeling" can be "bought" -- with money (being spent in a certain way) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIkdWxotKw

Mr. Analog

I've come to realize that there are a lot of emotions floating around all the time... one thing I have a real problem with is fretting about them.

I remember being younger and not giving a crap at all, it was more direct input I guess (like test anxiety or the rush of beating a video game), fear/love/hate I didn't think about them they just were. I can't shut my brain down lately though and just enjoy things directly, stuff gets in my brain and I start thinking about it, can't stop. Then I worry that I can't stop, then I worry that I worry about not stopping...

Bleh, even with stuff like "brain training" (not sure if there's a word for it?) I know at first it would probably work because I'd be concentrating on having it work, but then the placebo effect dies when, inevitably, I realize I'm trying to game myself.

All I know is that I feel much better when I'm focused on something, it's not that I'm ignoring emotions but when I'm focused I seem to be able to just experience them rather than analyze them.

That said I'm going to do some exercise, maybe if I focus on some sit-ups I'll forget about all the bees buzzing in my brain

(just havin' a wee panic attack this morning sorry if I'm rambling)
By Grabthar's Hammer