Motivating, task/time-managing, self-care-taking tips

Started by Tom, September 16, 2013, 01:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Yeah, I might. But these days I tend to be so freaking busy, or tired... that I just don't have time to spend an entire day going out for some game stuff.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I hear ya, there's something in the air lately, I've been sleepy and listless.

I finally got my butt in gear last weekend, I even planned most of Sunday outside, which in the end was pretty good.

Make hay while the sun shines I say, in a few weeks there could be snow again heh!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 16, 2013, 01:34:43 PM
I'm almost always tired. I really need to figure that out. Though this SleepBot android app helps a bit. wakes you up when it thinks your sleep is lighter.

I finally got my butt in gear last weekend, I even planned most of Sunday outside, which in the end was pretty good.
Yeah, I've been spending time organizing and cleaning lately. going to get rid of as much crap as possible. And ive sorted my large box of electronics stuff. I have half a box of IEC PC power cables. no joke.

Make hay while the sun shines I say, in a few weeks there could be snow again heh!
Yeah. I have some outside stuff I really need to get done... but it may be too late.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on September 16, 2013, 01:43:37 PM
I'm almost always tired. I really need to figure that out. Though this SleepBot android app helps a bit. wakes you up when it thinks your sleep is lighter.

Cool beans: http://www.mysleepbot.com/tour

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

That's good! Just don't forget to give yourself some fun time as well, time boxing  works for both chores and fun stuff.

I find the key is to really focus on doing a thing, like actually book time to do it, and then reward myself with something. That way things I don't like doing seem to get done faster and things I like to do don't feel guilty :)

I also find taking big ugly things and paring them down into small things helps, I used to try cleaning the whole house in one go and then feel really daunted by it and not do it... so I started doing little bits at a time 20 minutes a day vs a whole weekend was a big eye opener for me.

Not to say when you get in the zone to stop and change tasks just because you time boxed, just remember it's a trade. One of the worst things I do is sometimes start work an hour early working from home... and then I work through lunch... and then after work and before I've known it it's 7 PM and I don't have time for the fun stuff I want to do.

It's no secret I've been stressing for a while, pretty much since vacation, the other thing I've started doing is meditating for a few minutes every couple of hours. Nothing fancy just deep breathing and relaxing... trying to get a balance happening. My sleep patterns have been really weird lately and it's driving my blood pressure up.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, timeboxing helps, and clear goals. Stuff boxing is helping. ie: putting stuff in labeled boxes :D then those boxes go on shelves I bought a couple weeks ago :D Oh, and throwing crap away is really helping. cant wait till all of the useless garbage is gone.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 16, 2013, 01:54:58 PM
My sleep patterns have been really weird lately and it's driving my blood pressure up.

:(

Thats another thing I've been trying to work on again. getting my sleep schedule more stable. its hard though. some days I fall asleep right after canceling the alarm :( or hitting snooze too many times (for 2 hours for instance).

Mr. Analog

Yep, some days gotta force it. Those days I drag my carcass out of bed and go for a walk.

When I hurt my back I decided that once the pain was down I'd start doing an additional 30 minutes of activity a day and I find if I get the blood flowing first thing the rest of my day seems to go better.

I crash pretty hard in the afternoons usually, but again a little activity helps there.

I seem to go on alternating cycles where either I'm sleeping way too much or not at all, I'm trying to kick that by being a bit more rigid on the old sleep schedule (also trying to do more activity which seems to help).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Even on good days I crash about an hour or two after I get up ;D not a complete crash, but soooo tired. get brain fuzz about 4... Bad days I wake up as tired as I went to bed or worse. fun times.

Mr. Analog

Did you ever visit Sleep Medix? I used to get that fuzz all the time, it was sleep apnea. No more fuzz in the morning for me, haven't had it for a long time actually.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 16, 2013, 02:20:19 PM
Did you ever visit Sleep Medix? I used to get that fuzz all the time, it was sleep apnea. No more fuzz in the morning for me, haven't had it for a long time actually.
Not yet, I talked to my dr about it before I left for my mom's place, then haven't really remembered when I went to the dr. I might do that next time I'm near the dr office.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 16, 2013, 02:24:41 PM
Not yet, I talked to my dr about it before I left for my mom's place, then haven't really remembered when I went to the dr. I might do that next time I'm near the dr office.

Also, if you haven't already, talk to your doc about sleep problems and the fuzziness.

It may be thyroid stuff

Oddly enough I'm goin' to the doctor's office tomorrow for a follow up on some medication changes woo yeah
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 16, 2013, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 16, 2013, 02:24:41 PM

Also, if you haven't already, talk to your doc about sleep problems and the fuzziness.

It may be thyroid stuff

Oddly enough I'm goin' to the doctor's office tomorrow for a follow up on some medication changes woo yeah
I had my thyroid stuff tested not too long ago (it was fine). I did however get my meds adjusted a bit. Which should help. And in a few weeks to a month or so I may get the other adjusted if I'm still somewhat anxious/depressed.

Darren Dirt

GREAT discussion above!

Might I suggest a mod split off the last handful into its own thread, named something like
Motivating, task/time-managing, self-care-taking tips
or similar.  8)

Mr. Analog

Datum sounds good to me good sir, splitting thread!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Amongst this cool discussion about Getting Things Done, reminder (to myself, especially) that it's important to balance the Work with some Play... Don't want to become like
these guys  :P