Minecraft 1.5 has been Released

Started by Mr. Analog, March 14, 2013, 02:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Here's what is /not/ looked for in the nether:

static const std::vector<uint32_t> nether_nkeep_block_ids = {
BLOCK_BEDROCK, BLOCK_AIR, BLOCK_STILL_LAVA, BLOCK_MOVING_LAVA, BLOCK_MOB_SPAWNER, BLOCK_GRAVEL,
BLOCK_BROWN_MUSHROOM, BLOCK_RED_MUSHROOM, BLOCK_FIRE, BLOCK_MOB_SPAWNER, BLOCK_CHEST,
BLOCK_NETHERRACK, BLOCK_SLOW_SAND, BLOCK_GLOW_STONE, BLOCK_NETHER_BRICK, BLOCK_NETHER_FENCE,
BLOCK_NETHER_BRICK_STAIRS, BLOCK_NETHER_STALK, BLOCK_NETHER_QUARTZ_ORE, BLOCK_WOOD_TORCH
};

Everything else will mark a chunk as "keep".

Reducing the radius for the nether is a simple enough thing.

Note about some of the things in that list:
- gravel is generated naturally in the nether, in somewhat large areas.
- torches are /spammed/ everywhere by everyone (and rightly so!)
- nether stalk is just netherwart
- chests I think can be found naturally? I can remove them if you think you'd find a player placed chest all by its lonesome and a person still expects to find it later.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I didn't realize gravel occurred naturally in the nether.

Torches I figured would be useful to identify because people use them to mark their tunnels, so if the torches are ignored then there will be several tunnels that will need some diggy-diggy.  But that's not really a big deal, and you're right, there's torches strewn about some caverns just to help people find their way back home.

Chests I didn't think spawned naturally; maybe they're part of nether fortresses?  I can't think of where else they would spawn naturally in the nether.  I don't think on our map there are any chests placed all by their lonesome.

And yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like with the radius down to two chunks.

I think the overworld map could probably have its radius-of-chunks-kept moved down to seven or eight.

Programmer question: at some point are you going to make the radii and the blocks-to-keep arrays configurable?  Maybe a little settings screen that then writes to a config file that you can read from?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Time to lay some cheap cobble floors in those neither tunnels to help ensure that  they stay.

I agree with dropping the radius if the list is exclusive instead of inclusive as stated above.

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 14, 2013, 05:18:54 PM
Programmer question: at some point are you going to make the radii and the blocks-to-keep arrays configurable?  Maybe a little settings screen that then writes to a config file that you can read from?
Yup. Well, its a cli program at the moment. The end goal is to allow the chunk/block detection and other things be scriptable in lua, but I was having a rather hard time getting lua to act properly.

So until I get that to work, I'll likely have a nice config file that lets you tie a list of block ids to a dimension, a radius (or even a shape), and it'll take care of the rest.

Some time after all that, it'd be nice to give it a fancy gui front end that shows a preview and the like, but that'll take some more time.

Quote from: Lazybones on May 14, 2013, 05:52:08 PM
Time to lay some cheap cobble floors in those neither tunnels to help ensure that  they stay.
Put them only in the tunnels you absolutely want to keep.

Thorin

So...  Can you re-run the tool with a radius of two or three for the nether map?

I've also been looking at all the sign options.  Here's what I think we really need: Public Signs (identified by [ and ] being in the text), Personal Signs (all the other ones).  There's way too many options at the moment and it still doesn't show some of the signs.

Don't forget when you're ready to do the actual map change, take the existing server offline so we don't build something that is then lost because you've switched maps...

I'm so looking forward to maybe playing some Minecraft this week!  I'm too damn busy :(
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 15, 2013, 03:56:28 PM
So...  Can you re-run the tool with a radius of two or three for the nether map?
I can. Did you mean now?

I've also been looking at all the sign options.  Here's what I think we really need: Public Signs (identified by [ and ] being in the text), Personal Signs (all the other ones).  There's way too many options at the moment and it still doesn't show some of the signs.
I'm not really sure what to do with all that, overviewer's sign stuff seems a tad iffy.

Don't forget when you're ready to do the actual map change, take the existing server offline so we don't build something that is then lost because you've switched maps...
That's the plan all along. I'll notice people about it on the forums (both of them), take down the old server, run the tool, and swap it over.

I'm so looking forward to maybe playing some Minecraft this week!  I'm too damn busy :(
I've been wanting to play some more lately. The updates make it even harder to ignore, but I've got so many things I want to do these days. The tool itself has been a high priority, taken up a rather large chunk of time the past week or so. I want to get back to my rss app too.

Mr. Analog

I am so looking forward to playin' some 'craft this weekend

Especially if rainy... and history has shown!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on May 15, 2013, 04:02:20 PM

I can. Did you mean now?

Whenever you get a chance, I just want to see how much we'd lose (and I'm not too worried about having to re-dig a few tunnels).

I'm not really sure what to do with all that, overviewer's sign stuff seems a tad iffy.

I'm suggesting to simplify it - you've already got signs on the map if they've got [ and ] in them.  I'm suggesting you make one rule for signs that have [ and ] on them, and a second rule for signs that don't have [ and ] on them.  Pretty simple, isn't it?

I've been wanting to play some more lately. The updates make it even harder to ignore, but I've got so many things I want to do these days. The tool itself has been a high priority, taken up a rather large chunk of time the past week or so. I want to get back to my rss app too.

I hear ya there, I've been too dang busy to really get anything built, too.  Thanks for working hard on this tool so we can all enjoy a fresh map without losing our builds.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 15, 2013, 07:49:51 PM

I can. Did you mean now?

Whenever you get a chance, I just want to see how much we'd lose (and I'm not too worried about having to re-dig a few tunnels).

I'm suggesting to simplify it - you've already got signs on the map if they've got [ and ] in them.  I'm suggesting you make one rule for signs that have [ and ] on them, and a second rule for signs that don't have [ and ] on them.  Pretty simple, isn't it?

I hear ya there, I've been too dang busy to really get anything built, too.  Thanks for working hard on this tool so we can all enjoy a fresh map without losing our builds.
I fell asleep at about 5:30 or so, so I didn't get a chance to mess with the map yesterday. I'll re run it today.

Tom

A chunk radius of 4 looks... Odd...

Thorin

So is everyone happy with the map trimming?  If so, can we take down the server, run the map clean-up, update the server, then put it back up with the new map tomorrow?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

My stuff is all built in rather populated areas so near zero impacts for me.

Mr. Analog

I can't recall has the map been rebuilt?

I feel like Minecraftin' tonight
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Not yet. I can probably do it today when I have a few spare minutes.